New York State University | Syracusefan.com

New York State University

shandeezy7

Living Legend
Grabbed this off of the Bills board. Interesting potential movement taking place to rename SUNY Buffalo to "New York State University" and mark it as the state's flagship public university. Supposedly Golisano may be involved in this and the end-goal is to raise the athletic reputation of UB. Certainly something to keep an eye on as SU fans.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/campus/2013/04/ub-or-not-ub-that-is-the-question.html?ref=bmh”
sure - good luck with that UB - I'm sure no one would have a problem with taking a school way over in Buffalo, giving them sole possession of the State U moniker and marking it as the state's flagship public university :rolleyes:

If they go ahead, then we tweak ours.

Syracuse University - New York's REAL College Team

I think they should change their name to University of America. Or even better, University of Earth. Maybe we make contact with aliens someday, better play it safe and call yourself University of the Universe.

Grabbed this off of the Bills board. Interesting potential movement taking place to rename SUNY Buffalo to "New York State University" and mark it as the state's flagship public university. Supposedly Golisano may be involved in this and the end-goal is to raise the athletic reputation of UB. Certainly something to keep an eye on as SU fans.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/campus/2013/04/ub-or-not-ub-that-is-the-question.html?ref=bmh”

Nothing to see here, conferene realignment has doomed any team that isnt alrleady in a BCS conference. NY would be wasting there time and money, Syracuse is the preeminent Div 1 program for football, basketball, and Lacrosse in NY always has been, always will be. No other NY school save for Army even plays Div 1 in all three of those sports.

A state flagship is usually the most selective public university in the state and has the most (statistically) accomplished student body. Last I looked that wasn't the University of Buffalo. Of course, there are aberrations. WVU, for example, is less selective than West Liberty University (near Wheeling, WV).

Your mama went to SUNY Buffalo

images

Would be interesting if they got this done, but I doubt they do. Would they change their nickname, too? The NYSU Bulls sounds silly.

If the SUNY system really wanted a well known Division I football program they would have done this a long time ago. There has been talk for the last 25 years about Binghamton University starting a Division I football program and look how far that has gone. The only was this has any weight at all is if Tommy G is really going to put in some money and essentially bribe the other SUNY schools so this can happen.

My biggest concern is related to what this new competition will do to the pricing of taxicab rooftop advertising in Manhattan.

My area of least concern is this ever happening. 20 years of working in the SUNY system, including some time at UB, and one constant has been the bickering among the four University Centers over which one is the "flagship".

There ain't one. The system was never designed that way and probably never will be that way. They can all consider themselves the "flagship" but the truth is, none of them are designed or equipped to be such. SUNY Central administration is the flagship of sorts, and those guys couldn't organize a 2 car parade.

My biggest concern is related to what this new competition will do to the pricing of taxicab rooftop advertising in Manhattan.

My area of least concern is this ever happening. 20 years of working in the SUNY system, including some time at UB, and one constant has been the bickering among the four University Centers over which one is the "flagship".

There ain't one. The system was never designed that way and probably never will be that way. They can all consider themselves the "flagship" but the truth is, none of them are designed or equipped to be such. SUNY Central administration is the flagship of sorts, and those guys couldn't organize a 2 car parade.

For the sake of the system they should stay away from that. The last thing the State needs is trying to build a BCS football program.

For the sake of the system they should stay away from that. The last thing the State needs is trying to build a BCS football program.

Yep, look no further than the black hole of money that is Rutgers. Although I guess it's still TBD to see if that huge investment the state made will pay off with their move to the B1G. I can't really see how the state ever recoups all the money they lost pouring into the Rutgers athletic department though.