New York State University | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

New York State University

There are many public schools with higher ranked academics than SU. Moving SU to the public sector wouldn't mean having to sacrifice academic prestige.
Mostly as a response to the OP, and keying off this response.

I am admittedly 20+ years out of the loop, but the SUNY system seemed pretty good to me back in the late 80's. I am a Fredonia grad ('85 Chemistry), and my education was top-notch. Really, there is not a whole lot of difference between schools when you are learning regular stuff, and are not either in a specialized program (like Newhouse) or are an ultra-top-tier MIT/Stanford type. At Fredonia, I got a great perspective from a mixture of academics and folks who had been in industry then gone back to academia. Classes were small, you could walk into the profs' offices at any moment for help, and the profs used to come to our parties with beer in tow. I wouldn't trade that time and learning for anything at any other school.

My best friend (also a Fredonia grad) took his Ph.D. in mathematics from Binghamton as well. Started at Syracuse and transferred out, hated the math department there.

Not even close. Binghamton has the only claim, from an academic standpoint, of being the flagship.

Not really. It's not as though Bingo is that far ahead of either Stony Brook or Buffalo.

And politically, it's the weakest of the four University Centers. So weak in fact, that it's often an afterthought.

Cheers,
Neil

My understanding is that New York state has approached Syracuse in the past and invited it to become part of the SUNY system. If they accepted, they would have become the flagship university of the system...

That's my understanding as well in terms of discussion at least. And it's suppose to have happened twice in the past. The first time was before UB got into the AAU and the second time was supposedly before Stony Brook got in.

I think both sides have moved beyond this, if SU was ever seriously interested.

Cheers,
Neil

There's already a State University right across the street from the Carrier Dome. call for some freakin hybrid of the two and have the state pour some money into the SU football, basketball and other sports programs

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

Not even close. Binghamton has the only claim, from an academic standpoint, of being the flagship.

Only in their own mind. And the same can be said W/R/T Albany, Buffalo and Stony Brook. I work with faculty and admissions officers at BU daily, and have taken graduate level courses at two of the four University Centers. None are slouches, all have areas of expertise. Rankings are subjective to a large extent, but to call Binghamton superior to any of the others is silly.

Only in their own mind. And the same can be said W/R/T Albany, Buffalo and Stony Brook. I work with faculty and admissions officers at BU daily, and have taken graduate level courses at two of the four University Centers. None are slouches, all have areas of expertise. Rankings are subjective to a large extent, but to call Binghamton superior to any of the others is silly.

Last I checked, none of the other 3 are close to the Top 100 of US News.

So what? US News is now the sole arbiter of rankings? Please.

Last I checked, SUNY Binghamton wasn't a member of the Association of American Universities. Stony Brook and Buffalo are. I'd say that's a little more prestigious than a popularity survey conducted by a news magazine. They're all good schools. My opinion is that Binghamton is NOT superior and by so many measures is not the flagship- my position is there isn't one. But by some measures, Binghamton isn't in the flagship discussion- no med school for starters. No football team for another measure.

But whatever.

you have the cause and effect wrong. explaining jokes doesn't make them unfunny. unfunny jokes require explaining.

Brilliant. Or should I explain?

Yep, look no further than the black hole of money that is Rutgers. Although I guess it's still TBD to see if that huge investment the state made will pay off with their move to the B1G. I can't really see how the state ever recoups all the money they lost pouring into the Rutgers athletic department though.

I hate Rutgers as much as the next (normal) guy, and I am only basing this on anecdotal evidence, but I would think that their investment has more than begun to pay off? Just getting invited to the B1G insures their viability going forward, no? Don't get me wrong - I hope they never win another football game - ever - but they will be receiving oodles of cash going forward without having any success. IF they have a modicum of success in the B1G, I would imagine they'd see a windfall... Just one guys opinion... :crazy:

"The University of New York" is always available. Sure, it could be confusing wrt NYU (recall how many athletes have recently committed to "The University of Syracuse), but it's there.

As OrangePA would remind us, "The University of <state>" is typically a state's premier public institution, with "<state> State University" falling in behind. See Arizona, Florida, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Oregon, Washington, etc..

Instead of, or in addition to, having a "<state> State University", some will have a combination of "<state> Tech" (see Texas), "<state> Institute of Technology" (Georgia), "<state> Polytechnic Institute" (Virginia), "<state> A&M University" (Texas, Alabama), and for state universities with multiple campuses there may be a "University of <state> at <location>" (Texas: UTEP, UTA) or "University of <state>, <location>" (California: UCLA, UCSD).

Since NYS' public university system was never set up as one with a primary/flagship campus, having a single campus strong-arm its way into that situation seems highly unlikely. The four "University Centers" have done well to dual-brand themselves, including their moves to D-I athletics. It's true that UB is currently he only one to play football at the FBS level, but I suspect that the Seawolves and Great Danes will want to keep their options open on that front.

In short, UB should stick with what they have.

So, they should call it NYS or NYSU. Or SU for short?

My understanding is that New York state has approached Syracuse in the past and invited it to become part of the SUNY system. If they accepted, they would have become the flagship university of the system...

Is that true? Sorry, but there is so much comedy on these forums, I sometimes cannot tell the difference! :bat:

Not true. In the most recent US News, Bingo was at #89, Stony Brook was at #92, UB was at #106, and Albany was lagging way behind at #131.

The highest ranked SUNY was ESF at #77.

Cheers,
Neil

I hate Rutgers as much as the next (normal) guy, and I am only basing this on anecdotal evidence, but I would think that their investment has more than begun to pay off? Just getting invited to the B1G insures their viability going forward, no? Don't get me wrong - I hope they never win another football game - ever - but they will be receiving oodles of cash going forward without having any success. IF they have a modicum of success in the B1G, I would imagine they'd see a windfall... Just one guys opinion... :crazy:

That's why I said the end result was TBD. The state pumped loads and loads of money into Rutgers athletics, which continually operated in the red. It's still to be seen what their actual ROI is going to be now that they are in the B1G. Obviously it alleviates the states burden on funding the program, but will it recoup all that money that they spent previously?