News Coverage of the Accident is sickening | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

News Coverage of the Accident is sickening

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s all covered under free speech as long as they don’t intend to injure ones reputation.

If nothing else, “He was drunk.” And “He left the scene” was reckless.

My guess is We will see libel laws changed shortly.

But at a minimum, these guys should be terminated.

As far as being a respected entity...it is dead. They have only themselves to blame.

That’s a broad brush. While there are certainly several media outlets that deserve the criticism, there are many that are doing a great service. Part of the problem is that social media and the internet have opened up reporting to fly-by-night news organizations. There’s no accountability. That’s the age we live in now. There’s little accountability anywhere. Another problem is news organizations — newspapers, radio, TV, etc, — have been gutted by money grabbing corporations. I worked at a newspaper for more than 20 years. A sports department that was once 35 people is now six. I don’t see an improvement, and we all suffer.

I am no fan of the local media but don't really get all the angst. I think they have been - with a few exceptions - fair and balanced when you consider the tragedy was accidental and involved the biggest celebrity in town. People want to know the details and they are providing them.

I tend to agree. There is a huge local demand for information and discussion about this topic (as evidenced by the fact that the thread "holy" is about to top 34k views in about 24 hours). New channels are a business, they're going to cater to that demand.

As far as being a respected entity...it is dead. They have only themselves to blame.

There is still lots of high-quality journalism out there. The Economist, the BBC, PBS Newshour, Wall Street Journal, NPR, AP/Reuters, Foreign Affairs Magazine, Journal of American Affairs, Journal of National Affairs, etc.

My guess is We will see libel laws changed shortly.

That's probably unlikely, Justice Thomas' recent opinion notwithstanding.
Even analysts who think the standard set in the NY Times v. Sullivan needs to be modified don't see it happening (see example below).

My opinion: that's mostly a positive.
The standard has served us pretty well to make the United States the free speech standard bearer.
And there's no democracy without free speech.

We also live in a country where anyone can file suit...even without a good case.
Even frivolous defamation lawsuits are expensive and time-consuming to defend.
I've been through one that took 3 years...and every shot, every word, every punctuation mark in the original story was absolutely accurate.

(What any of this has to do with basketball...I have no idea).

Justice Thomas's Skepticism of New York Times v. Sullivan

There is still lots of high-quality journalism out there. The Economist, the BBC, PBS Newshour, Wall Street Journal, NPR, AP/Reuters, Foreign Affairs Magazine, Journal of American Affairs, Journal of National Affairs, etc.

The media is run by the "club" and none of you are in it! That headline read like the headlines of the shootings killings on the west or south side. Lacking was the qualifier "auto accident......" That omission shows malice. Boehiem kills pedestrian....is as bad as Joe six pack kills bambi. On purpose to project the thought "oh my god JB is a killer" We are all watching a movie!

That's probably unlikely, Justice Thomas' recent opinion notwithstanding.
Even analysts who think the standard set in the NY Times v. Sullivan needs to be modified don't see it happening (see example below).

My opinion: that's mostly a positive.
The standard has served us pretty well to make the United States the free speech standard bearer.
And there's no democracy without free speech.

We also live in a country where anyone can file suit...even without a good case.
Even frivolous defamation lawsuits are expensive and time-consuming to defend.
I've been through one that took 3 years...and every shot, every word, every punctuation mark in the original story was absolutely accurate.

(What any of this has to do with basketball...I have no idea).

Justice Thomas's Skepticism of New York Times v. Sullivan

My sense is that there is widespread public revulsion over the performance of the Press in recent years. Americans no longer see the Press as an unbiased entity.

And I don’t know about your case, but it wouldn’t be too hard to prove that “He was drunk” and”He left the scene of an accident” are incorrect. And what possible excuse could they offer?

If I were an American journalist I’d be rooting for suits like this to succeed to try and bring some sanity back.

Agreed, but only a small percentage seek out good journalism. The stuff that the average citizen gets exposed to is not quality, nor is it respected.

The mere notion that a legit news organization allows itself to be affiliated with one general political thinktank is absolutely mind boggling and against everything our forefathers imagined.

That’s my point. Walter Cronkite is dead.

You would get plenty of argument that NPR is unbiased. While not as strident as the cable news networks, they have leaned Left for a very long time.

They have fought off being completely defunded by hiding behind Big Bird.

That’s a broad brush. While there are certainly several media outlets that deserve the criticism, there are many that are doing a great service. Part of the problem is that social media and the internet have opened up reporting to fly-by-night news organizations. There’s no accountability. That’s the age we live in now. There’s little accountability anywhere. Another problem is news organizations — newspapers, radio, TV, etc, — have been gutted by money grabbing corporations. I worked at a newspaper for more than 20 years. A sports department that was once 35 people is now six. I don’t see an improvement, and we all suffer.
Well, there may be another reason the newspaper had to downsize.

Agreed, but only a small percentage seek out good journalism. The stuff that the average citizen gets exposed to is not quality, nor is it respected.

The mere notion that a legit news organization allows itself to be affiliated with one general political thinktank is absolutely mind boggling and against everything our forefathers imagined.

That’s my point. Walter Cronkite is dead.

The press in the late 18th century was highly partisan.
The First Amendment was partly aimed at protecting that...although there wasn't much debate in Congress when the actual amendment was passed.
In a way we're back where we started.

And Cronkite admitted he was quite the liberal.
He did make an effort to control for bias on the air.
But he didn't always succeed.

TELEVIISION; Walter Cronkite: Speaking His Mind Instead of Just News

Its because they are in an all out rush to get the story out before someone else does.

Its because they are in an all out rush to get the story out before someone else does.

That’s kind of how it works though, Brian.

No one remembers who had the story second.

You would get plenty of argument that NPR is unbiased. While not as strident as the cable news networks, they have leaned Left for a very long time.

They have fought off being completely defunded by hiding behind Big Bird.

NPR has been relying on corporate funding more and more in recent years. And I challenge anyone to identify a show on NPR (the largely news/politics-oriented ones) that don't routinely present both sides of an issue.

I realize that but if you make mistakes they remember that too.

Ah, not so much.

HUGE FRONT PAGE HEADLINE STORY!!!
BLARING 24/7!!!

... some time later ...

What’s that? We got it wrong? Ooopsy.

Retraction posted at the bottom of the Classifieds.

Ah, not so much.

HUGE FRONT PAGE HEADLINE STORY!!!
BLARING 24/7!!!

... some time later ...

What’s that? We got it wrong? Ooopsy.

Retraction posted at the bottom of the Classifieds.

Or pointed out on Twitter as “fake news.”

JB is fortunate that the first game after the accident is a home game. He will see a lot of BS atvaway games this year, and perhaps forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.