Newsflash: Bama ain't the best | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Newsflash: Bama ain't the best

I would love for Oregon (or some other non-SEC team to win the National Championship to shut all SEC fans up), but let's be realistic. Alabama is still head and shoulders above any other team. Bama is winning with their 3rd to 5th string RB's.

Don't get me wrong, i love watching Oregon, but they have a tough schedule in front of them with USC, Oregon St and Stanford.

Also, Florida is not good enough to be the #2 team in the country. They have momentum, but caught some breaks their first few games

LSU offensively is absolutely dogsh** compared to Oregon offensively, any year, but it's still a tall order for Oregon regardless.
LSU was pretty crappy on O last year and they whipped Oregon (also with all offseason for their really good D to prepare since it kicked off the season...that matters a lot for potential bowl game)

LSU offensively is absolutely dogsh** compared to Oregon offensively, any year, but it's still a tall order for Oregon regardless.
Agreed

bama will beat them if they play but i really hope we see it.

bama is used by dinosaurs to bludgeon anyone who wants to try something new.

when bama kills a boring old 2 wr te fb offense, they shrug and say "boy bama's good"

when bama kills a new offense, they stand up and say "GIMMICK MADDEN GIMMICK!"
I think it proves dominance at the line of scrimmage is what wins at the highest level.

From 2006-2010 5 SEC teams beat 5 teams from other conferences for the national title. The other teams, (including Oregon), averaged scoring 26 points a game less vs. the SEC team than they did in the regular season.

But, yes, it would be fun if we were Oregon.

I think it proves dominance at the line of scrimmage is what wins at the highest level.
eh alabama dominates everywhere

if you have a defense that hits twice as hard as everyone else, being boring is smart. no need to take any chances to let someone luck into some turnovers.

most programs should disregard them as a model for anything.

if you have a defense that can really be the best in the country, it makes sense to have a bland middle of the road offense to practice against. otherwise, i think it's best to specialize a high scoring offense that might leave your defense a little less prepared for all the variety out there.

i think about WVU. their offense left them unprepared for us throwing to tight ends all day (they never practice against them) but they still won 10 games.

if you sacrifice offense to prepare your defense better, you better be sure your defense has the potential to win by themselves. that's really rare outside the factories.

if you have a defense that hits twice as hard as everyone else, being boring is smart. no need to take any chances to let someone luck into some turnovers.

if you have a defense that can really be the best in the country, it makes sense to have a bland middle of the road offense to practice against. otherwise, i think it's best to specialize a high scoring offense that might leave your defense a little less prepared for all the variety out there.

i think about WVU. their offense left them unprepared for us throwing to tight ends all day (they never practice against them) but they still won 10 games.

if you sacrifice offense to prepare your defense better, you better be sure your defense has the potential to win by themselves. that's really rare outside the factories.
LSU beat Oregon last year by being more physical at the line of scrimmage too.

Am I the only one who wonders how Chip kelly would have done at SU if Oregon didn't offer him the job?
Probably would have done well, but not Oregon-well. No way he could have got those kind of athletes, at least on offense, to come here at the time. That gap is closing, but it is still there.

I could give a flying how Oregon might do against Bama, what a ridiculously awesome program to be a fan of. I'm so jealous I could cry.

I still remember the ridiculous thread trashing Kelly after the LaGarrette Blount opening game punch.

sufandu, post: 384845 said:

Nice summation.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I'll tell ya this much, they shouldn't be behind Florida in the BCS.

Really, 690? Did you watch Florida last night? Maybe Alabama should be behind Florida and Oregon

Bama does not play Florida, SCar or Georgia. The SEC knows how to produce a product.

They've been boatraced two weeks in a row by teams that can do both. You have to play defense.

Am I the only one who wonders how Chip kelly would have done at SU if Oregon didn't offer him the job?

I suspect that he would have done pretty much the same as Marrone has done.

And I suspect that Marrone would do pretty much the same with Oregon's talent.

Bama does not play Florida, SCar or Georgia. The SEC knows how to produce a product.
The SEC rotates who teams play cross division. They'll play one of them in the SEC championship game this year. It's certainly looking like Florida.

I don't get why you have to sacrifice preparing one to prepare the other. Your defense prepares for the upcoming game against the scout team as does the offense. You aren't practicing ones against ones all of the time. I think it's more about philosophy. I think a coach like Dana Holgerson just doesn't care about defense. We saw the same thing with fun-and-gun Florida teams in the early 90's. When Spurrier finally decided to get a good defensive coordinator his teams played improved defense without sacrificing offense and won a NC.

Why in the fluck would Chip Kelly have come here if Oregon didn't offer him the job? We got turned down by Skip Holtz and Randy Edsall (thank god). It would have taken years to get the athletes he has at Oregon anyways, we wouldn't have the money to pay his contract, and if it took him longer than 3 years to make a bowl game people would be calling for his head.

I suspect that he would have done pretty much the same as Marrone has done.

And I suspect that Marrone would do pretty much the same with Oregon's talent.
I'll give you this, you are nothing if not consistent.

They've been boatraced two weeks in a row by teams that can do both. You have to play defense.
Yeah, they've taken it to an extreme. I wonder if they've ever successfully tackled anyone in practice.

The SEC rotates who teams play cross division. They'll play one of them in the SEC championship game this year. It's certainly looking like Florida.

That's what happens when you only play 8 teams out of 13 (not including yourself). This is why the ACC, well one of the reasons, why the ACC went to 8 games.

It was kind of funny listening to drunken Brent Mush talk about FSU having no chance to move up in the polls because they are playing an ACC schedule while instead of grabbing another martini he should have noticed that FSU plays Florida.

I don't get why you have to sacrifice preparing one to prepare the other. Your defense prepares for the upcoming game against the scout team as does the offense. You aren't practicing ones against ones all of the time. I think it's more about philosophy. I think a coach like Dana Holgerson just doesn't care about defense. We saw the same thing with fun-and-gun Florida teams in the early 90's. When Spurrier finally decided to get a good defensive coordinator his teams played improved defense without sacrificing offense and won a NC.

I am just guessing here but scout teams can only prepare your team so much. i think balanced first string offenses can better prepare your defense with just regular fundamental stuff. I don't know that for sure, i'm just trying to come up with some reason why so many air raid teams suck at defense.

I am just guessing here but scout teams can only prepare your team so much. i think balanced first string offenses can better prepare your defense with just regular fundamental stuff. I don't know that for sure, i'm just trying to come up with some reason why so many air raid teams suck at defense.

I think it's a combo of things like what you mentioned plus the clock being off a lot more along with the coaches being good at what they do but there may be a reason why they teach pass 500 and not running the ball 101. Plus, if you play a decent amount of passing teams you are getting ready for them and getting less reps vs the run type/balanced teams. Add to that if your offense does fail you are giving the other team the ball more frequently then you would be if you ran time wise. Remember when SU scored a bunch of points with McNabb? You score quick and your defense is right back on the field plus maybe they just put their best athletes on offense as well.

They put all their studs on offense? Few teams probably get enough extremely talented studs to fill a roster with depth on both sides of the ball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom