Newsflash: Bama ain't the best | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Newsflash: Bama ain't the best

They put all their studs on offense? Few teams probably get enough extremely talented studs to fill a roster with depth on both sides of the ball.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
i think part of it is that air raid coaches are less meathead and football teams need meatheads to teach teams how to be violent.

the ideal situation is the 2000ish era oklahoma teams when they had the tough defense with stoops and leach running the offense.

we could be in pretty good shape here - we have a big nasty tough coach who can teach players to hit hard and to be tough who happens to have learned passing offenses along the way

eventually the tough coaches relent and the less tough guy offenses eventually win out. it just takes so long. right now the only coaches that will coach them are little maniacs that don't have any ability to teach people who to concuss other people

I am just guessing here but scout teams can only prepare your team so much. i think balanced first string offenses can better prepare your defense with just regular fundamental stuff. I don't know that for sure, i'm just trying to come up with some reason why so many air raid teams suck at defense.

Because they are inherently flag football teams, if you can get physical with them, they wilt. Also the mentality of the defense is, all we need to do is get a stop or two a game and we win. It's the danger of putting all your eggs in a finess basket.

It's the same issue that VT and Rutgers have going the other way, what happens when you can't bully teams and don't get 2 or 3 special or defensive plays that give you a short field. If you have to play straight up on offense and move the ball or get behind a couple of scores, your screwed.

That's what I like about how SU is evolving this year. Offense is heavily pass oriented but they are establishing a power run game to compliment it, and on the other side of the ball focusing on stopping the run and bringing pressure. If people want to see what the final product will be, the identity that Marrone wants to have, I think this is it. Having the pieces in place to be able to gameplan to attack weaknesses on offense and a defense that brings it.

Because they are inherently flag football teams, if you can get physical with them, they wilt. Also the mentality of the defense is, all we need to do is get a stop or two a game and we win. It's the danger of putting all your eggs in a finess basket.

It's the same issue that VT and Rutgers have going the other way, what happens when you can't bully teams and don't get 2 or 3 special or defensive plays that give you a short field. If you have to play straight up on offense and move the ball or get behind a couple of scores, your screwed.

That's what I like about how SU is evolving this year. Offense is heavily pass oriented but they are establishing a power run game to compliment it, and on the other side of the ball focusing on stopping the run and bringing pressure. If people want to see what the final product will be, the identity that Marrone wants to have, I think this is it. Having the pieces in place to be able to gameplan to attack weaknesses on offense and a defense that brings it.
i think part of the reason the tight end position has changed so much is that people want to throw more to 4 WR but don't really want to go 4 wide. get athletic power forwards, put them at TE and throw to them most of the time but still be a little more physical.

i think marrone has the credibility to go air raid without being soft. but so much of it is path dependent. any guy old enough and tough enough to be a credible HC now has too much experience before the air raid ever came into existence.

it's interesting to think about.

I would take Bama -10. Oregon has laid eggs twice versus the more powerful teams in the country... Kelly would have done well at Syracuse but he also has an empire behind him. Facilities, boosters, Phil Knight, fanbase, and he cheats as well, not that most don't

Hell Ohio St beat them up in the Rose Bowl. The Ducks defense is much improved but they can and will be beat, IMO

USC will beat Oregon in the Coliseum, ASU is vastly overrated and lost their two best D players 3 minutes into the game.

As Chip said a few months ago, I wish I could see the posts from this board after C Kelly lost to Boise in his first game. He was a bust

Boy, who's the poster that nailed this thread title weeks ago? kudos to that guy. Hey IB, you still wanna give me +10?

That'll work itself out though. If Florida keeps winning they'll see Alabama in the SEC championship game and the loser will drop.

UGA will be playing Bama they wrapped up the East in the SEC ... can't happen.

I was an honorary member of the 12th man during that game. Of course Bama could still worm it's way back into the title game.

Game-Day-12th-Man.jpg

UGA will be playing Bama they wrapped up the East in the SEC ... can't happen.
Did you look at the date of my comment? It was weeks ago when Florida was still undefeated hence " if Florida keeps winning..."

And if you looked at it's context, I was refering to how we wouldn't see two SEC teams in the national championship game this year, not that I was guaranteeing Florida would play Alabama in the SEC championship game.

Did you look at the date of my comment? It was weeks ago when Florida was still undefeated hence " if Florida keeps winning..."

And if you looked at it's context, I was refering to how we wouldn't see two SEC teams in the national championship game this year, not that I was guaranteeing Florida would play Alabama in the SEC championship game.

Yeah I realized that afterwards ... I didn't realize someone would take the time to "prove a point" that has yet to be proven ... It could very well be that Oregon faces Bama in the championship game and gets waxed ... the fact that the SEC has won the last 6 NCs is enough for me and they have done so relatively with ease.

It's my fault bringing up a weeks old thread.

Yeah I realized that afterwards ... I didn't realize someone would take the time to "prove a point" that has yet to be proven ... It could very well be that Oregon faces Bama in the championship game and gets waxed ... the fact that the SEC has won the last 6 NCs is enough for me and they have done so relatively with ease.
Until last night, I thought it was a foregone conclusion that Alabama would go back to back. Now I'm really hoping for an Oregon-vs-Kansas St. game. I'd love for all of the SEC lovers where I live to finally have to shut their traps... not that I actually think they will.

Well Oregon can't either ... newsflash they aren't the best!

I would love a playoff, how fun would that be to watch instead of the Chicago poll system of selecting who gets to play for the championship.

Thanks KSU and Oregon, now Bama will worm it's way back into the title game. Go Dawgs!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom