NEWSFLASH TO THE SYRACUSE MEDIA WHO READ THIS SITE SOMEBODY ASK GROSS ABOUT METLIFE DEAL | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

NEWSFLASH TO THE SYRACUSE MEDIA WHO READ THIS SITE SOMEBODY ASK GROSS ABOUT METLIFE DEAL

You're entitled to your opinion. I was judging the boards reaction - which was "meh" ... You can say whatever you like. It just might not lead to the result you're after.
My intent is to hope that an Syracuse.com writer or radio host will read this thread and actually ask Gross the question. I already know the board is divided on this subject. I would call it the Bees/Alsacs wing who hate the Metlife SU "home games" and the Kaiser wing who love the NYC branding.

I don't care to drum up that debate I just want the Syracuse media to ask the questions when its appropriate. They scan this board for material all the time.

He has answered the question, pre ACC move anyway. I imagine he would say something similar now.

"The whole concept of playing at MetLife Stadium is to become more attractive to recruits. We know that playing in Madison Square Garden, in a pro arena, has had a tremendous effect on our basketball recruiting and our national basketball brand. I mean, people are happy to refer to Madison Square Garden as our home away from home. And, if you notice, we have an amazing amount of fans there. We outdraw everybody we play in that building. So we’re trying to use that same model for football.

“We need to help football. We want to give ourselves a chance to compete at the national level. To do that we have to get the best recruits in our part of the country, so we’ve got be more creative than we’ve been in the past. Is this financially resourceful? Yes, it is. I would tell you that playing one of those games at MetLife Stadium will bring in money that is more than 70 percent of our entire football budget, which isn’t the highest. We don’t have the budgets of Ohio State, Texas and Florida.

“I don’t think any of us would want to play every game in the Carrier Dome if it meant we had to be a mediocre team. We believe we have the right football coach in Doug Marrone; now we have to produce the level of resources he needs in order to win.

“This is one of those times when we need to ask not what the football program can do for you, but what you can do for the football program. And what we need for you to do is get on that wonderful train, travel down to New Jersey and root on the Orange at MetLife Stadium just as we root on the Orange at Madison Square Garden.”

http://www.syracuse.com/poliquin/index.ssf/2012/08/the_morning_orange_daryl_gross.html
Listen he should answer the question and I would . He hasn't so my queries are legitimate.

If you don't like the MetLife games, don't say a word about the IPF.

Listen he should answer the question and I would . He hasn't so my queries are legitimate.

Or, he has answered the question and you don't like the answer?

BTW, I have no issue with you asking the question as a concerned season ticket holder. None. But, I am not sure whether Alsacs will up or not makes any difference. But, that's just my opinion.

Season ticket holders have to pay for the extra game in their packages.

This is false.

MetLife tickets are not part of the season ticket package. Never have been.

This is false.

MetLife tickets are not part of the season ticket package. Never have been.
My point was if your a season ticket holder if you want tickets to Metlife they are an additional charge for a game that is a Syracuse "home game.

If you don't like the MetLife games, don't say a word about the IPF.
I highly doubt Metlife games are paying for the IPF. I think going from 3 million a year in TV money to 20 million a year annually from the ACC more to do with the fact the BoT approving the IPF project.

seasn ticket holders get a discounted rate for metlife games

Or, he has answered the question and you don't like the answer?

BTW, I have no issue with you asking the question as a concerned season ticket holder. None. But, I am not sure whether Alsacs will up or not makes any difference. But, that's just my opinion.
He has answered where these future SU commitments to Metlife are coming from? I want to know if they intended to sign Home/Metlife agreements or if they will play true neutral site games at Metlife. That question hasn't been asked or answered.

seasn ticket holders get a discounted rate for metlife games
I know this we get discounted rate but these games for USC and Notre Dame are Syracuse "home" games. We are having to pay extra for a game that is a Syracuse home game.

This is the week somebody in the media has to have the stones and get Dr. Gross on the record. These Metlife games that are true Syracuse home games are a joke. If we want accountability in the SU AD then the media has to ask the questions. Neutral site games are fine but SU home games should at the Carrier Dome.

Gross has skated by for far to long without explaining where the future SU games at Metlife will come from. If no questions get asked then Gross and co. aren't held accountable.
In March 2011, Syracuse and Metlife announced their would be 10 Syracuse football games to be scheduled between 2019 and 2038. Gross has still been crickets on this issue. Why?
When we sell out all the home games, SU fans can complain.

In March 2011, Syracuse and Metlife announced their would be 10 Syracuse football games to be scheduled between 2019 and 2038.Gross has still been crickets on this issue. Why?

Gross doesn't have to answer where the games will come from. This series of ten games doesn't start for another 5 yrs. I imagine he will probably be gone by then and it will be someone else's issue

Whether you call it a home game or a neutral site game is total semantics. MetLife Stadium isn't moving because of whatever the game is called.

I'd be upset if the Met Life game took away a home game and SU didn't have any big name teams in the Dome. In looking at my schedule, I see that SU has FSU coming to the Dome as one of their 6 home games. Last year Clemson made it to the Dome as part of the 6 game home slate. LSU will be coming to the Dome soon as well. Scheduling a game in the NYC metro area once a year or so is fine by me.

cuseguy said:
I'm a season ticket holder, loyal to the program and I'm fine with the MetLife games. Great exposure for the program. We wouldn't be getting a prime time game on national TV if it was played at the Dome. I drive 4 plus hours to go to SU games. People from Syracuse can do that once a year.

Those games handicap the teams chances of winning and ultimately the final record and have bowl implications.

See but now you aren't consistent. Your first response was the game wouldn't be at night if it was at the Dome. That is wrong. Gross marketing us as NY College team is a joke. We only got 39k(SU home game)for the NUMBER 2 ranked team in the nation at Metlife in 2012, 61k(true neutral site game and Penn State had double the fans to SU) for Penn State in 2013.

These games were at 85k stadium. We haven't gotten any top recruits from NYC because of the games. We are never going to have the FB brand in NYC anywhere close to BB in NYC until we will 9-10 win season for a decade. I am sorry but this game will do nothing for SU FB brand. The stadium for an SU "home" game on national TV will have more Notre Dame fans in attendance. That is great for SU FB brand in NYC.
Your posts are always thoughtful ...even if I sometimes disagree. Here IMO Gross made this Metlife deal long before knowing of the ACC invite. While citing recruiting benefits sounds good, I'm sure the real reason was (1) money, (2) exposure -- playing big name major teams that wouldn't come to the Dome, getting on TV, and getting exposure/press coverage in NYC. IMO Gross' NY's College Team strategy was a big success. The ACC certainly liked it and it probably helped get the invite. Playing in Metlife every year and the other advertising SU does like the signage in Yankee Stadium and on NYC taxis has boosted the image of our programs in NYC as best I can tell. A lot of fans in the area all seem to think of Cuse sports as kind of local. Yes, it might be good now that SU is in the ACC if we didn't have so many of these games at Metlife, but we have a contract.

cuseguy said:
Shafer on ND game: "It's a great opportunity for recruiting, especially in an area (NY, NJ) we're trying to upgrade."

Party line. Those who are equating it to bball and MSG are nuts. Two entirely different animals and programs.

Alsacs and I definitely disagree on the Metlife games scenario but I don't discount him asking the question. If he feels that he needs an answer, that is fine by me.

I know the answer is quite simply dollars in the coffers and exposure which we would otherwise not be getting, which I am also fine with. Aren't those the answers to about 90% of questions as to why large corporations do things these days.

It would be nice if the tickets were included in my season ticket package. That being said, if it were to drive those season ticket prices up for everybody (which it most certainly would), then I would not be in favor as some people that would be buying the $100 seasons would not buy them.

For the record I like the games at Metlife. I look at them as an extra bowl game each year and use them as an opportunity to bring the family to NYC for a day or 2. Also, it averages out to 1 game every other year for 19 years.

See you there on Saturday.

Your posts are always thoughtful ...even if I sometimes disagree. Here IMO Gross made this Metlife deal long before knowing of the ACC invite. While citing recruiting benefits sounds good, I'm sure the real reason was (1) money, (2) exposure -- playing big name major teams that wouldn't come to the Dome, getting on TV, and getting exposure/press coverage in NYC. IMO Gross' NY's College Team strategy was a big success. The ACC certainly liked it and it probably helped get the invite. Playing in Metlife every year and the other advertising SU does like the signage in Yankee Stadium and on NYC taxis has boosted the image of our programs in NYC as best I can tell. A lot of fans in the area all seem to think of Cuse sports as kind of local. Yes, it might be good now that SU is in the ACC if we didn't have so many of these games at Metlife, but we have a contract.
Again I can respect this position which I would call the Kaiser wing of these Metlife games. I disagree because our BB brand and FB brand in NYC are different. The NY College team strategy is like the wizard of Oz don't look behind the curtain. Nobody in NYC cares about SU FB or really any college FB team. The 3 most popular college football teams in NYC IMO are 1. Notre Dame 2. Penn State 3. Michigan. SU got into the ACC because they always liked us and we maintained a good relationship with the schools. FB games at Metlife had nothing to do with the ACC wanting us. NYC likes SU BB because SU BB has a history of winning big games, the BET at MSG, and college hoops are somewhat liked by NYC unlike college FB.

Axe said on his 5 pm show that SU is getting $5 million per game to play at MetLife. That seems high to me but their is a lot of money when you get 80k tickets sold, TV money, etc.
If SU is getting 5 million dollars a GAME then Metlife is beyond stupid. The game isn't sold out and the last 2 SU Metlife games had 39k and 61k in attendance in an 85k stadium. Metlife gets nothing in TV money. They get concessions, parking, and ticket sales.

If Metlife is paying 5 million per game then atleast we are getting paid like a high class 5 letter word.

never been a fan of metlife games but if they are getting 5 million for each game I agree with continuing the series. If Cuse wants to be a big time program their facilities have to be top notch to attract better recruits.