NEWSFLASH TO THE SYRACUSE MEDIA WHO READ THIS SITE SOMEBODY ASK GROSS ABOUT METLIFE DEAL | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

NEWSFLASH TO THE SYRACUSE MEDIA WHO READ THIS SITE SOMEBODY ASK GROSS ABOUT METLIFE DEAL

Another dead horse. Kudos. This one goes with how much talent we had when Marrone took over, or when GROB did for that matter
If this is a dead horse please tell me where the future Metlife games are coming from? Has Gross or anyone answered this question? Are we going to see more home games moved to Metlife? are we going to move conference games to Metlife or play true neutral site games in that stadium?

I'm over the MetLife games, although I understand why we scheduled them originally and I was supportive then.

But if we *really* get $5 million for playing there... Yeah, I understand.

If SU is getting 5 million dollars a GAME then Metlife is beyond stupid. The game isn't sold out and the last 2 SU Metlife games had 39k and 61k in attendance in an 85k stadium. Metlife gets nothing in TV money. They get concessions, parking, and ticket sales.

If Metlife is paying 5 million per game then atleast we are getting paid like a high class 5 letter word.

Just looking at simple math here Alsacs...

Let's say the attendance is 65K for the game, not a stretch I don't think.
Average of say about $100 a ticket is about right...that's 6.5 mil to start...
...add that with $30 a car to park plus concessions which I would have no idea but I have to beleive that $50 PP isn't a stretch either which is another $5 mil.
Figure in media exposure for the naming sponsor for the Stadium, 3.5 hour commercial on TV for the Stadium, sponsors in the stadium on TV and the naming sponsor.

EDIT: From a business perspective, the fixed costs for the stadium are already there, the only increase would be in use (electric, payroll, grounds, cameras, etc.). Most of the above would be pure profit minus of course the hard goods, food, etc.

Sounds like not such a bad payday (even if it is break even)for a stadium that would otherwise be empty on a fall Saturday.

I also don't think that the entire $5 mil comes from Metlife either, some I think would come from the TV contract.

I would take that deal in a minute if I owned the stadium.

Last edited:
If SU is getting 5 million dollars a GAME then Metlife is beyond stupid. The game isn't sold out and the last 2 SU Metlife games had 39k and 61k in attendance in an 85k stadium. Metlife gets nothing in TV money. They get concessions, parking, and ticket sales.

If Metlife is paying 5 million per game then atleast we are getting paid like a high class 5 letter word.

But if it's a home game for us then we get all of the ticket sales revenue guaranteed (50,000 tickets sold at $100 average each = $5 million) and we don't have to share that with the away team. Nice deal imo from a business perspective, not from a local fan perspective. Maybe SU only gets the $5 million guarantee as long as 50k tickets are sold? So if ND game gets sold out then MetLife will make money on the deal - parking, concessions, excess ticket revenue and Prime time TV exposure.

But if it's a home game for us then we get all of the ticket sales revenue guaranteed (50,000 tickets sold at $100 average each = $5 million) and we don't have to share that with the away team. Nice deal imo from a business perspective, not from a local fan perspective. Maybe SU only gets the $5 million guarantee as long as 50k tickets are sold? So if ND game gets sold out then MetLife will make money on the deal - parking, concessions, excess ticket revenue and Prime time TV exposure.

We would get paid by the stadium I am sure in lieu of ticket sales. That type of thinking is for REAL home games.

Gross doesn't have time to answer these questions. He is a busy guy. (This is from a while ago. Notice the BLUE tie? Hmm?) ;)

sfb_080902_fo_darylgross.jpg

He's SHOUTING (in an echo chamber) with the wind and we're all downwind from him.
Very douche comment. Every time we have debated this issue I thought you had more respect I guess I am wrong. Congrats.

TV money is not being paid for this game. If Metlife is paying us 5 million it is coming from Metlife. If they get 65k for this game. Assume the average price for each ticket is 100 bucks per ticket. That is 6.5 million. Metlife would then be profiting 1.5 million plus all parking/concessions.

That would be a great a deal for SU, but I don't think all the tickets sold would have been for 100 per ticket. It would be dumb economics to pay out 5 million dollars to SU unless Metlife was making atleast 5 million dollars itself for hosting the game.

the USC game moving to Metlife was bad, The Notre Dame games at Metlife were scheduled there so there ok but going forward we should get nd in carrier dome more than metlife.

I understand the money aspect of this deal with MetLife, but do you think USC would have lost to BC this year if that game was on a neutral site. That win will do more for their recruiting than losing on a neutral field in a important recruiting area. We still haven't been able to land one big time recruit in the NY metro area. Losing to ND at Metlife vs. winning at the Carrier Dome is not an advantage for SU in recruiting. The bottom line is the money and the talk about being an important game in a recruiting area is baloney. It's all about the MONEY and nothing else.

the USC game moving to Metlife was bad, The Notre Dame games at Metlife were scheduled there so there ok but going forward we should get nd in carrier dome more than metlife.
I honestly don't want to get into this debate, but we won't see Notre Dame at the Dome before 2026. Notre Dame's 5 annual games and 60 games total contract with the ACC runs from 2014-2026. Each team will play Notre Dame every 3 years. 60 games with 14 teams. Is each team gets 4 games with Notre Dame home/home and 4 teams will get that 5th game of which 2 of those 4 teams will get a 3rd Notre Dame home game.

Syracuse "home" games are in 2014 and 2016 at Metlife. We will need to play at Notre Dame 2 times and hope the ACC makes SU one of the 2 teams to get that 3rd ND home game before 2026 or we won't see Notre Dame at the Dome. This is a fact.

Scooch said:
I'm over the MetLife games, although I understand why we scheduled them originally and I was supportive then. But if we *really* get $5 million for playing there... Yeah, I understand.

I don't know which poster but the last time someone mentioned $5m a poster said that was wrong.

I honestly don't want to get into this debate, but we won't see Notre Dame at the Dome before 2026. Notre Dame's 5 annual games and 60 games total contract with the ACC runs from 2014-2026. Each team will play Notre Dame every 3 years. 60 games with 14 teams. Is each team gets 4 games with Notre Dame home/home and 4 teams will get that 5th game of which 2 of those 4 teams will get a 3rd Notre Dame home game.

Syracuse "home" games are in 2014 and 2016 at Metlife. We will need to play at Notre Dame 2 times and hope the ACC makes SU one of the 2 teams to get that 3rd ND home game before 2026 or we won't see Notre Dame at the Dome. This is a fact.
its not a fact until ACC and ND announce future rotation but you very well could be right

I don't know which poster but the last time someone mentioned $5m a poster said that was wrong.
sounds wrong to me maybe 5 mil signing bonus and then some % of the gate sounds right to me

sounds wrong to me maybe 5 mil signing bonus and then some % of the gate sounds right to me
I would agree with this. Economically if your smart you never pay a tenant anything more than 50/50 of all profits. If Metlife was profiting 10 million from this game I could see them paying us 5 million a game. However, I find it HIGHLY unlikely Metlife is making that much money per game to justify paying SU 5 million a game.

I believe we got a 5 million signing bonus and will get a nice paycheck but we won't be getting 5 million for this game.

If Axe actually said what Full Rebar said what a dolt. We agreed to this deal because we were stuck with Big East, but Notre Dame would be playing us in the Dome under the ACC agreement because they wouldn't have had a choice.
Dr. Gross should come and answer where their those 10 games committed to Metlife are coming from. He hasn't and that makes no sense and the media should ask and he Gross should answer. I don't live in CNY but it screws season ticket holders and local business.

Anyone ask him why the crystal ball he was using in 2007 did not predict what would happen 4-5 years later with the ACC?

WHAT? NO?

God forbid the guy goes on offense for the program while it was in the crapper when he did the deal.

Goodness people love revisionist history.

We are playing this week's game where? Metlife Stadium. This series has been failure since 2 of the 3 games we will be playing at Metlife will be SU "home" games. I get before we joined the ACC that ND wouldn't play us home/home well Gross could have tried to get these Metlife games cancelled the second we joined the ACC or the second Notre Dame committed 5 games annually to the ACC. Nobody in the media has asked Gross about these subjects? Why? The guy loves being interviewed and the attention. He should answer these questions and tell his customers and supporters the truth. When nothing is asked then nothing is answered. Once you get the answer whether I agree with it or not I respect the answer. Are these games at Metlife going to be SU home games, conference games or neutral site game? Gross should answer this question.

Gross had leverage to cancel the series like you have leverage to choose the starting QB of the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Anyone ask him why the crystal ball he was using in 2007 did not predict what would happen 4-5 years later with the ACC?

WHAT? NO?

God forbid the guy goes on offense for the program while it was in the crapper when he did the deal.

Goodness people love revisionist history.
Okay why did Syracuse buyout its return game to Wyoming from 2005 or 2006? Because the buyout was smarter than going to Laramie,WY.

Dr. Gross never destroyed the Metlife-Notre Dame deal when we joined the ACC why?

Why didn't he try to get the Metlife games moved to the Dome when Notre Dame committed to the 5 annual ACC games? This isn't revisionist history all my points are legit. The people who don't care don't need to try and spin this. I get people who like the Metlife games, but people trying to make people like me as extremist just either don't like me personally or want to drink the kool-aid.

Gross had leverage to cancel the series like you have leverage to choose the starting QB of the Jacksonville Jaguars.
What are you talking about. Notre Dame and Syracuse had games scheduled so did Pittsburgh, Boston College with Notre Dame. Those games got cancelled when ND committed to 5 annual ACC games. When didn't Gross cancel the SU-ND games and actually try to get ND on campus. The answer is obviously Gross liked the Metlife money. Gross should just tell the fanbase this truth and atleast I would respect the truth. Saying nothing and hoping the issue isn't raised is what he wants if I were him.

Okay why did Syracuse buyout its return game to Wyoming from 2005 or 2006? Because the buyout was smarter than going to Laramie,WY.

Dr. Gross never destroyed the Metlife-Notre Dame deal when we joined the ACC why?

Why didn't he try to get the Metlife games moved to the Dome when Notre Dame committed to the 5 annual ACC games? This isn't revisionist history all my points are legit. The people who don't care don't need to try and spin this. I get people who like the Metlife games, but people trying to make people like me as extremist just either don't like me personally or want to drink the kool-aid.

Buyout would be much higher?

I think the answer is simple: the exposure and money is greater this way than if it were in the Dome. True before the move to the ACC, true 10 years from now. It's not a trick to deliberately mess or poff season ticket holders. It's a very deliberate move to generate cash and draw attention from the CFB media, NY media, etc. And it works.

ND probably didn't want the games moved is my guess
If ND had anything to do with the games staying at Metlife then I would lose a lot of respect for Gross and I respect Gross a lot.

I've heard the same $5 million figure- not sure if that was a bonus, or per game. I am in the middle on this as I have no issue with SU playing a neutral game in a NFL stadium, but we should not give up any future home games now that we are in the ACC.

From what I understand, we are the only ACC team that won't be getting ND on-campus, right? That's not a good move at all and for that Gross should be asked how he plans to deal with that.

Buyout would be much higher?

I think the answer is simple: the exposure and money is greater this way than if it were in the Dome. True before the move to the ACC, true 10 years from now. It's not a trick to deliberately mess or poff season ticket holders. It's a very deliberate move to generate cash and draw attention from the CFB media, NY media, etc. And it works.
Again if this is the reason then Gross SHOULD SAY IT. I mean What is wrong with the media asking him my questions and him saying what you are saying.