NEWSFLASH TO THE SYRACUSE MEDIA WHO READ THIS SITE SOMEBODY ASK GROSS ABOUT METLIFE DEAL | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

NEWSFLASH TO THE SYRACUSE MEDIA WHO READ THIS SITE SOMEBODY ASK GROSS ABOUT METLIFE DEAL

Gross just said that ND WILL play in Syracuse in the future.

Once the MetLife deal is done, they will be in the rotation.

What if ND doesn't get any true home games either?

Alsacs was upset that SU played games at South Bend while ND never played at the Dome. As of today, the only two scheduled games are at MetLife.

I'm now inclined to believe that there will only be one game played at each campus, if any. TGD may have manned up about this when ND joined the ACC, but it took until now to get the scheduling worked out.

It just seems like somebody may have done a lot yelling about nothing.

From the comments on the article-
Chris Carlson | ccarlson@syracuse.com
Just got off the phone with Joe Giansante, the communications chief over at Syracuse. He said the Orange won't visit Notre Dame in 2017 either. He said he expects the ACC schedule will send the Orange to Indiana relatively soon.

Moontan said:
What if ND doesn't get any true home games either? Alsacs was upset that SU played games at South Bend while ND never played at the Dome. As of today, the only two scheduled games are at MetLife. I'm now inclined to believe that there will only be one game played at each campus, if any. TGD may have manned up about this when ND joined the ACC, but it took until now to get the scheduling worked out. It just seems like somebody may have done a lot yelling about nothing.

I want them in the Dome. One here, one there. Like everyone else. Competitive disadvantage for SU.

this is great news.

the Giants Stadium games stayed in place, but Syracuse is OUT of going to south bend.

thus setting up an irish trip to the Dome!!!

the haters are going to lose this war, after already having lost the battle...
Stop it Kaiser your embarrassing yourself.
I explained this to Chris yesterday. Notre dame is playing 60 ACC games from 2014-2026 which averages out to 5 a year.

There are 14 ACC football teams. 14 x 4 = 56 games. Which means everyone will get 2 Notre Dame home games and 2 road games under Notre Dame control. Syracuse 2 home games are at MetLife in 2014 and 2016. We will have to do 2 road games as every ACC team will have too do. If we are LUCKY we will be selected by the ACC to be one of the 2'teams to get a 3rd home game. Stop thinking this deal is great all that happened was our visits to South Bend were pushed back instead of being in 2015 and 2017.

Gross just said that ND WILL play in Syracuse in the future.

Once the MetLife deal is done, they will be in the rotation.
Yeah that won't happen unless the ACC lets SU be one of 2 teams to get a 3rd ND home game under the 60 game ACC-ND contract. Gross obviously doesn't realize this or thinks people aren't smart enough to figure this out.

I explained this to Chris yesterday. Notre dame is playing 60 ACC games from 2014-2026 which averages out to 5 a year.

There are 14 ACC football teams. 14 x 4 = 56 games. Which means everyone will get 2 Notre Dame home games and 2 road games under Notre Dame control. Syracuse 2 home games are at MetLife in 2014 and 2016. We will have to do 2 road games as every ACC team will have too do. If we are LUCKY we will be selected by the ACC to be one of the 2'teams to get a 3rd home game. Stop thinking this deal is great all that happened was our visits to South Bend were pushed back instead of being in 2015 and 2017.
It sounds more like two games at MetLife followed by a normal rotation, which is exactly what some of us were expecting. TGD didn't just cave to ND.

Yeah that won't happen unless the ACC lets SU be one of 2 teams to get a 3rd ND home game under the 60 game ACC-ND contract. Gross obviously doesn't realize this or thinks people aren't smart enough to figure this out.
Once again, you're assuming that those games are SU home games. What if they're not? What if SU and ND agreed to treat those as ACC neutral site games?

KaiserUEO said:
potential?? POTENTIAL??? POTENTIAL?? we talkin bout potential, man. potential. not reality, just potential. POTENTIAL?? not reality, potential. you guys are all insane. Syracuse gets huge exposure playing in NYC and cashes a nice paycheck...and all we are talking about is the threat of a 1 off starting in 2019, a 1 off that likely never wouldve happened without Giants Stadium. and to top off, the school puts LSU in the freakin Dome, LSU!!! thus proving to everyone that all the big games wont be at Giants Stadium, but you guys are all out here crying wolf on potential. fluckin unreal. im not bringing any kill to this weeks tailgate and i wont pay for anything now either and i will eat like a king, because you all piss me off.

Kaiser, the people who agree with you, like myself, are running the tailgate. The folks who don't won't be there. Bring your kill and swill.

the only team 'benefiting' from nd that we know of so far...is ncstate.

nd at fla st, clemson & virginia are no brainers.

the at pitt game? been going on for 100s of years.

bc? got moved to fenway.

go give ncstate a gold dubloon, they win.

everyone else is going to south bend BUT Syracuse.

that my friend...is a gawddamn mothafluckinWIN for the Orange.

the rub in their face and your EUREKA!! KAISER IS RIGHT AGAIN!!!! moment...will be WHEN the 3rd game is announced for the Carrier Dome.

and if its the 4th?? ill still win.

Last edited:
You realize ND and the ACC only released the 2014 thru 2016 ACC games ND will be playing. From 2017 thru 2020 SU will be playing a game at NotreDame or at best a Shamrock game at a neutral site. We aren't getting ND at the Dome for a long time if ever.
Let's make a friendly wager on that. The loser owes the other a beer at a subsequent game. It'll be a good way to put the issue behind us.

Or maybe you've been wrong on this right from the beginning?

Since you don't agree with Gross, you should probably block him. ;)

rrlbees said:
All big time programs and not SU. The program needs wins more than anything. Playing in NJ reduces our chances of a win.

Rick, the school needs to be smarter in scheduling overall to produce more wins. We shouldn't have played Maryland last week with this upcoming schedule. And if we want wins, why are we playing LSU?

Moontan my god your answers are not worth responding to.
For crying out loud the 2014 and 2016 games ARE considered Syracuse home games they are controlled by ESPN not NBC which controls ND home games. You think Gross one upped ND? Wow he got taken to the cleaners and hopes people buy this spin.

Why are we so worried about playing ND at the Dome when we can't even beat Maryland at home?

cuseguy said:
Rick, the school needs to be smarter in scheduling overall to produce more wins. We shouldn't have played Maryland last week with this upcoming schedule. And if we want wins, why are we playing LSU?

Attendance, which is the other elephant in the room. The fanbase has already been told that 14 of the biggest OOC games will be in NJ. We aren't playing CMU in NJ.

Why are we so worried about playing ND at the Dome when we can't even beat Maryland at home?

Yeah, I undertstand lots of the points of view in this debate, but the argument about home field advantage rings kinda hollow to me.

We managed to thump a Ron Dayne-led Wisconsin team at the Meadowlands once upon a time. We should have beaten PSU there last year, I'm not sure that the 40K Nittany Lions fans there made any difference in the outcome. Meanwhile we had a rockin' Dome for Clemson last year and got our ass kicked handily.

I mean I'd rather have home field than not, but I just don't think that's the issue worth getting frantic about. We've done pretty well in neutral site bowl games recently, right?

this issue won't be settled until the next wave of nd-acc football games is announced.id think 2018 might be the next time we see nd on our schedule

Seriously this issue just needs to be answered one time by Gross.
Cuseguy I don't go to board tailgates for this issue exactly.
People don't like me and I avoid making them angry. I have had 4 season tickets since graduating in 2006. I don't go to every game but seats are used I don't live in CNY and just want my treat fairly by a partner. If we played true neutral site games at MetLife I would love the games but not at expense of Syracuse true home games.

rrlbees said:
Attendance, which is the other elephant in the room. The fanbase has already been told that 14 of the biggest OOC games will be in NJ. We aren't playing CMU in NJ.

I hear ya, but if we need wins, we shouldn't be playing anyone better than, say, Maryland out of conference. The ACC schedule is tough enough. We should be scheduling like Rutgers has for years.

the only team 'benefiting' from nd that we know of so far...is ncstate.

nd at fla st, clemson & virginia are no brainers.

the at pitt game? been going on for 100s of years.

bc? got moved to fenway.

go give ncstate a gold dubloon, they win.

everyone else is going to south bend BUT Syracuse.

that my friend...i gawddamn mothafluckinWIN for the Orange.

the rub in their face and your EUREKA!! KAISER IS RIGHT AGAIN!!!! moment...will be WHEN the 3rd game is announced for the Carrier Dome.

and if its the 4th?? ill still win.
I think we were the only ones trying to talk someone down from the ledge. I suspect that we may need to do it again in the future.

Alsacs said:
Seriously this issue just needs to be answered one time by Gross. Cuseguy I don't go to board tailgates for this issue exactly. People don't like me and I avoid making them angry. I have had 4 season tickets since graduating in 2006. I don't go to every game but seats are used I don't live in CNY and just want my treat fairly by a partner. If we played true neutral site games at MetLife I would love the games but not at expense of Syracuse true home games.

There's a lot of people with differing views at our tailgates. Bees and I differ on this issue, but we've been good friends for years.

I personally respect you as a board member even though we disagree on this. You bring a lot to the table. That's what the board is for - to discuss issues that interest us. We discuss, throw a few stones and move on.

Okay why did Syracuse buyout its return game to Wyoming from 2005 or 2006? Because the buyout was smarter than going to Laramie,WY.

Dr. Gross never destroyed the Metlife-Notre Dame deal when we joined the ACC why?

Why didn't he try to get the Metlife games moved to the Dome when Notre Dame committed to the 5 annual ACC games? This isn't revisionist history all my points are legit. The people who don't care don't need to try and spin this. I get people who like the Metlife games, but people trying to make people like me as extremist just either don't like me personally or want to drink the kool-aid.

A $200k buyout wasa no-brainer.