NEWSFLASH TO THE SYRACUSE MEDIA WHO READ THIS SITE SOMEBODY ASK GROSS ABOUT METLIFE DEAL | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

NEWSFLASH TO THE SYRACUSE MEDIA WHO READ THIS SITE SOMEBODY ASK GROSS ABOUT METLIFE DEAL

True. But its still less of a payday than having the game at MetLife I believe. So while technically what you said is true, SU gets more actual money in pocket playing at MetLife

If we sold out every home game this year with an additional 10K fans each game, it still would not equal the 5 mil we get from one game in Metlife.

5. Publicly announce all intentions for games at Metlife until 2025
a. Especially when said games involve Notre Dame

6. Disclose private conversations and potentially violate the trust of his peers and superiors in order to satisfy the curiosity of a few.

CuseOnly said:
If we sold out every home game this year with an additional 10K fans each game, it still would not equal the 5 mil we get from one game in Metlife.

If you believe that number.

If you believe that number.

I am not saying I do but it is what has been floated out there. I have heard $7 mil as well, that number I do not believe.

Even if it were half that, at $50 a ticket for a home game (which we don't come close to), for every home game at 1oK fans, 6 games (60K total) that would only get us $3 mil for every home game revenue. Not profit, revenue.

AT those numbers, you still make more money with 1 game at Metlife than if you actually get the difference for actual attendance to a sell out at home. Kind of makes it worth it, don't you think.

Especially when you consider that the deal was done when we were making 3.1 mil for the football portion of the Big East contract.

CuseOnly said:
I am not saying I do but it is what has been floated out there. I have heard $7 mil as well, that number I do not believe. Even if it were half that, at $50 a ticket for a home game (which we don't come close to), for every home game at 1oK fans, 6 games (60K total) that would only get us $3 mil for every home game revenue. Not profit, revenue. AT those numbers, you still make more money with 1 game at Metlife than if you actually get the difference for actual attendance to a sell out at home. Kind of makes it worth it, don't you think. Especially when you consider that the deal was done when we were making 3.1 mil for the football portion of the Big East contract.
How are these games worth so much?

How are these games worth so much?

These were my thoughts on simple math economics of it, probably oversimplified...from an earlier post.

Just looking at simple math here Alsacs...

Let's say the attendance is 65K for the game, not a stretch I don't think.
Average of say about $100 a ticket is about right...that's 6.5 mil to start...
...add that with $30 a car to park plus concessions which I would have no idea but I have to beleive that $50 PP isn't a stretch either which is another $5 mil.
Figure in media exposure for the naming sponsor for the Stadium, 3.5 hour commercial on TV for the Stadium, sponsors in the stadium on TV and the naming sponsor.

EDIT: From a business perspective, the fixed costs for the stadium are already there, the only increase would be in use (electric, payroll, grounds, cameras, etc.). Most of the above would be pure profit minus of course the hard goods, food, etc.

Sounds like not such a bad payday (even if it is break even)for a stadium that would otherwise be empty on a fall Saturday.

I also don't think that the entire $5 mil comes from Metlife either, some I think would come from the TV contract.

I would take that deal in a minute if I owned the stadium.

CuseOnly said:
I am not saying I do but it is what has been floated out there. I have heard $7 mil as well, that number I do not believe. Even if it were half that, at $50 a ticket for a home game (which we don't come close to), for every home game at 1oK fans, 6 games (60K total) that would only get us $3 mil for every home game revenue. Not profit, revenue. AT those numbers, you still make more money with 1 game at Metlife than if you actually get the difference for actual attendance to a sell out at home. Kind of makes it worth it, don't you think. Especially when you consider that the deal was done when we were making 3.1 mil for the football portion of the Big East contract.

I don't get your numbers at all for a home game. They are way off.

Nobody said we make more money for a single home game than we do for a MetLife game. But your numbers are out of whack.

The money isn't worth the loss at a better chance of winning a game.

I remember Marrone telling me in April before his first season that he had 2 very big jobs that would determine his and the program's success. Win and put fannies in the seats. MetLife does neither.

I don't get your numbers at all for a home game. They are way off.

Nobody said we make more money for a single home game than we do for a MetLife game. But your numbers are out of whack.

I remember Marrone telling me in April before his first season that he had 2 very big jobs that would determine his and the program's success. Win and put fannies in the seats. MetLife does neither.

Not disagreeing with you with regard to win and put fannies in the seats, as well as recruit.

The numbers I was using were the DIFFERENCE between a home game being at 40K average and a sold out home game at 50K. A difference of 10K average over the course of 6 home games. Hence 60K fans.

You have to read the posts I was responding to with those numbers. I was saying that the money from Metlife more than makes up for not selling out the Dome for a year.

You also have to consider that without revenue, nothing changes. No money=no facilities=no recruits=no wins=no fannies in seats=no money. Rinse and repeat. Someone needed to break the cycle, he took a shot where he did not have a ton of options at the time.

Where else could he have increased revenue equal to the football portion of the Big East contract? ANyone else have any better options? Were high profile donors willing to step up and pony up a few million a year?

If they were, Gross might not have made that deal.

Last edited:
Teams play neutral site games all the time.

I read several tweets from our Jersey recruits/prospects who are excited to go to this game.
yeah like I said, SOME neutral site games. not your biggest game every single year indefinitely

But isn't this oversimplifying things? I mean, first, I get that playing at home is an advantage but I seriously doubt ND has ever been terrified of coming to the Dome. I realize we've beat them there but freaking GRob beat ND AT ND. I mean, come on. It's some sort of factor I guess but hardly as much as people like to suggest, IMO.

But what I don't understand is this: Do you hate NYC? Do you hate the idea of playing in a much bigger, packed outdoor stadium on a beautiful weekend in the fall? Do you think it's horrible business to play a game in NYC where you have a huge alumni base? Is this really giving up a home game? I mean, ND plays 'home games' in neutral sites all the time. They literally play all over the world and call them home games. It's not really that rare.

At the end of the day I'm not sure why people object to a trip to NYC to see this team play ND under the lights. I just really don't get it.

is there anything better than the wannabe nyc "elitist" Syracuse fan? they get to beat up on you twice, first of all Syracuse isn't a good enough place for them to live, and second of all the rest of us are all poor hicks who don't support our team.

People talk about this game being close for alumni to attend. I hope you all realize SU only had 39k for the game against #2 USC and the Trojans had 10k fans and last year vs. Penn state he crowd was 61k and Penn State had probably 30-40k of that crowd.
If moving the games to MetLife actually had huge SU crowds the argument would have some merit. This game on Saturday which is a SU home game will have double the ND fans in attendance to SU fans. Let's cater to those alumni who won't even make up half of the crowd.

MAybe I'm crazy but I like the idea of playing PSU in front of a huge crowd. Same thing for ND. I think it's cool.

is there anything better than the wannabe nyc "elitist" Syracuse fan? they get to beat up on you twice, first of all Syracuse isn't a good enough place for them to live, and second of all the rest of us are all poor hicks who don't support our team.

Wow.

Well this is the "fan" in you speaking. Syracuse Sports and Syracuse University is a "business" first and foremost. If you think they are putting the chance of "winning a game" over a big payday, well I think that is a naive stance to take.

They want their cake and eat it too...move the game, make more money...then go win the game! If they lose oh well it sucks, but at least they got a big fat paycheck out of it to deposit.

Don't look at it from a fans perspective, look at it from a business perspective.

billsin01 said:
But isn't this oversimplifying things? I mean, first, I get that playing at home is an advantage but I seriously doubt ND has ever been terrified of coming to the Dome. I realize we've beat them there but freaking GRob beat ND AT ND. I mean, come on. It's some sort of factor I guess but hardly as much as people like to suggest, IMO. But what I don't understand is this: Do you hate NYC? Do you hate the idea of playing in a much bigger, packed outdoor stadium on a beautiful weekend in the fall? Do you think it's horrible business to play a game in NYC where you have a huge alumni base? Is this really giving up a home game? I mean, ND plays 'home games' in neutral sites all the time. They literally play all over the world and call them home games. It's not really that rare. At the end of the day I'm not sure why people object to a trip to NYC to see this team play ND under the lights. I just really don't get it.

No I don't hate NYC and I think I've explained several times my opinion of the games and why. Don't need to repeat them again. And no, Marrone wasn't oversimplifying anything. It's all that matters.

GoSU96 said:
And... Boom Goes the Dynamite!

It's uncanny!

Attachments

• image-3968897048.jpg
    image-3968897048.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 77
Stern said:
Well this is the "fan" in you speaking. Syracuse Sports and Syracuse University is a "business" first and foremost. If you think they are putting the chance of "winning a game" over a big payday, well I think that is a naive stance to take. They want their cake and eat it too...move the game, make more money...then go win the game! If they lose oh well it sucks, but at least they got a big fat paycheck out of it to deposit. Don't look at it from a fans perspective, look at it from a business perspective.

Well, if we lose and if we finish with 5 wins, you can deduct another million dollars in bowl revenue. Losses cost money. Was Marrone just a "fan".

Last edited:
No I don't hate NYC and I think I've explained several times my opinion of the games and why. Don't need to repeat them again. And no, Marrone wasn't oversimplifying anything. It's all that matters.

I think he absolutely was over-simplifying things. I mean, at some level winning is really the only thing that matters (although DM also claimed developing good character was extremely important :rolleyes:). But TV contracts are probably the single most important thing and he didn't mention those. I'd argue that marketing and community outreach is huge. Now maybe this is covered under 'put fannies in the seats' but there's a lot more to it than that.

I don't know -- much ado about nothing to me. 79 and sunny in NYC in an outdoor stadium for a packed house vs. ND? Sign me up.

Well, if we lose and if we finish with 5 wins, you can deduct another million dollars in bowl revenue. Losses cost money. Was Marrone just a "fan".

We were going to win in the dome?

rrlbees said:

What he also said:

"We're going down to play a good football team in USC down in MetLife Stadium," said head coach Doug Marrone. "We understand the advantages of us going down there from a recruiting standpoint, from a development standpoint, from the opportunity to be able to play in a great venue which entices us specially in recruiting. We understand as a university, as an athletic department, as the football coach, that there are a lot of challenges for our fans especially in these economic times. I sit here today and understand that. We are working very hard with the schedule."

Source: http://www.informnny.com/s/d/story/C_xIwsRatEmJUxp0sAmPOQ

Todd Gack said:
What he also said: "We're going down to play a good football team in USC down in MetLife Stadium," said head coach Doug Marrone. "We understand the advantages of us going down there from a recruiting standpoint, from a development standpoint, from the opportunity to be able to play in a great venue which entices us specially in recruiting. We understand as a university, as an athletic department, as the football coach, that there are a lot of challenges for our fans especially in these economic times. I sit here today and understand that. We are working very hard with the schedule." Source: http://www.informnny.com/s/d/story/C_xIwsRatEmJUxp0sAmPOQ

Of course he said that in public. What I was repeating is what he said in a private setting. I bet he would have much rather played that game in the Dome, like it was scheduled. Guarantee it.

billsin01 said:
We were going to win in the dome?

Never said that.