Next 5 games vs Power Conference teams | Syracusefan.com

Next 5 games vs Power Conference teams

OrlandoCuse

Living Legend
The new ACC schedule definitely changes up the traditional non-conference schedule. Gone are the days of 2 or 3 games vs. Power Conference teams before New Year’s, typically in a pre-season tourney.

Our next 5:
Barclays - Okie State
Barclays - PSU/Ole Miss
H - Iowa
@ Ga Tech
@ Georgetown

I don’t think we’ve ever played 5 games in a row vs. Power Conference teams in November/December. Safe to say the next 5 games will tell us a lot about this young team.

What are the power conferences in college basketball anyway? The ACC, Big 12, Big East, B1G, PAC 12, SEC are the P6? Does the AAC count? They had 5 teams make the tourney last year, and UConn wasn't even one of them. The distinction doesn't mean a lot in basketball.

Should learn if this is an NCAA or NIT (or CBI) team either way. 5-0 or 4-1 would be nice, but I can see them losing a couple of these, G-Town looks good this year, and OK State hasn't lost a game yet.

What are the power conferences in college basketball anyway? The ACC, Big 12, Big East, B1G, PAC 12, SEC are the P6? Does the AAC count? They had 5 teams make the tourney last year, and UConn wasn't even one of them. The distinction doesn't mean a lot in basketball.

Should learn if this is an NCAA or NIT (or CBI) team either way. 5-0 or 4-1 would be nice, but I can see them losing a couple of these, G-Town looks good this year, and OK State hasn't lost a game yet.
I wouldn’t consider the AAC a power conference

The new ACC schedule definitely changes up the traditional non-conference schedule. Gone are the days of 2 or 3 games vs. Power Conference teams before New Year’s, typically in a pre-season tourney.

Our next 5:
Barclays - Okie State
Barclays - PSU/Ole Miss
H - Iowa
@ Ga Tech
@ Georgetown

I don’t think we’ve ever played 5 games in a row vs. Power Conference teams in November/December. Safe to say the next 5 games will tell us a lot about this young team.
5 tough opponents is hard enough. The fact that only 1 is a home game makes things really tough. Young teams rarely play well on the road. I hope this team, toughened by the Italian road trip, can handle it.

I hope this team, toughened by the Italian road trip, can handle it.

Speaking from personal experience, I can tell you that there is nothing like great food, great weather and beautiful sights to really toughen someone up.

Every time I come back from an Italian vacation, I feel like I just got back from Navy Seal He!! week.:p

I really don't put too much emphasis on rankings this time of year, but all five opponents according to KenPom are fairly close. Penn St. highest at 32 and Georgetown lowest at 62. We are currently at 35.

What this tells me is that all five games should be competitive and fun to watch. I would be thrilled to go 4-1, but realistically 3-2 would be good. Less that 3 wins would be a disappointment for me. Of course, any loss is a disappointment for me :(

I feel like now that UVA is under their belt and they have had a few cupcakes that this team will respond well to the competition level going up. I don't see any of these teams beside maybe Tech and to lesser extent Iowa looking to make the games a rock fight. That should let our guys get out and play the game we want. The biggest concern we all have is relative to how we play in the post and with that we are up against:

Okie State- Yor Anei Avg 11 and 7. 6-11 235, Cameron Mcgriff- avg 8/6 6-7 235. After that everyone who gets minutes is listed as a guard. They have decent size for their guards but after Anei they are small team.

Iowa- Best big man we may see in Luka Garza. 6/11 260 and averages 23/10. Not a big-time athlete but absolutely a problem. They also start another twin tower in Jack Nunge 6-11 245 who averages 7/5. Kreiner at 6-10 245 comes off the bench and averages 8/5. Lots of size to worry about here- but we have advantage in athleticism. Iowa has not been impressive but still a major concern in the post.

GTech- the devil we know. Banks/Wright give them two quality bigs down low. They also have a guard (Devoe) averaging 26 a game right now. No easy game at all

Gtown- Yurtseven and Wahab are big boys to contend with along with LeBlanc off the bench who is a big-time athlete.

PSU- lots of shooters. Size wise a better matchup as they really only have Watkins at 6-9 254 inside. Stephens at 6-8 225 is solid as a PF too but the bench is thin for size. Mostly a smaller guard dominated team.

Ole Miss- One guy who is decent with good size Khadim Sy at 6-10 245. One bench player who is raw at 6-8 then no one above 6-7. A nice lot of guards including a couple with good size at 6-6 and 6-7. Overall though not a big team. Like PSU they can shoot it and can get hot.

Overall we have our work cut out for us. My biggest worries are Gtown and Iowa. I think we beat Okie State and the Ole Miss/PSU winner as they will be decent match ups for us. Expect we win 1/2 of Grown and Iowa. Also expect we beat GTech. 4-1 is my expectation but 3-2 is just as likely. Sidibe/Guerrier and Marek will be key. How they play on both sides is going to be the difference.

Realistically expect 3-2, wouldn't shock if 2-3. Wouldn't be worried either way. This is a team that's going to find their groove and hit their stride later in the year. We will make the tournament

IF they continue to execute the same offensive sets we've seen the last couple of games, and they don't get hammered on the boards, the next 5 will come down to 3pt shooting percentages, IMO.

Young team on the road (4 of 5) against very good teams = great opportunity to establish their identity.

Our next 5:
Barclays - Okie State
Barclays - PSU/Ole Miss
H - Iowa
@ Ga Tech
@ Georgetown

Hot take:
A great Syracuse team would win all 5
A “good” standard Syracuse team(like 75% of our teams over the last 40 years) would probably win 4...but possibly all 5.
A mediocre Syracuse team probably wins 3.

The last few years, we probably win 2.

Will be a good measuring stick. I badly want 4 of them and will be thrilled if we get that.

None of the five are top 100 in terms of three point %, if that trend holds and our defense rebounding % improves a little bit from the 75% it’s at now I like our chances to take at least 4 of these.

I expect us to go 2-3 over this stretch but hopeful of 3-2. I’m definitely encouraged by Girard’s play against the tomato cans we’ve played since UVA, but I can’t see us beating GTown or okie state, and I really worry about our ability to handle Garza from Iowa. I definitely worry about this teams collective athleticism and strength against power conference teams.

Hope I’m wrong. I remember the days when you’d look at that lineup of opponents and be disappointed if we went 4-1.

I expect us to go 2-3 over this stretch but hopeful of 3-2. I’m definitely encouraged by Girard’s play against the tomato cans we’ve played since UVA, but I can’t see us beating GTown or okie state, and I really worry about our ability to handle Garza from Iowa. I definitely worry about this teams collective athleticism and strength against power conference teams.

Hope I’m wrong. I remember the days when you’d look at that lineup of opponents and be disappointed if we went 4-1.
Surprised on okie state. I've seen them play and they have been far from impressive. Their 5-0 record is a bit of a mirage. To me Iowa and Gtown are the worries. Okie state's ken pom Defensive ratings are inflated.

If we lose a third game I would bet on it being GTech because we have had a tough time playing there and Banks is a problem .

Our next 5:
Barclays - Okie State
Barclays - PSU/Ole Miss
H - Iowa
@ Ga Tech
@ Georgetown

This is going to be a very interesting year. Very different team with different strengths and strengths in non-traditional roles.

Our best passer plays the 4 or the 5. Our best creator is at the 3. Effectively playing with 2 lights-out shooters at the guard spots. And a raw, physical specimen off the bench.

I think it will require some coaching creativity to get the most out of this team.

it will be a good barometer as to whether the old man’s b-ball acumen remains intact or whether the program is in free fall and it is time.

My money is on the 75 year old HOFer.

I feel like now that UVA is under their belt and they have had a few cupcakes that this team will respond well to the competition level going up. I don't see any of these teams beside maybe Tech and to lesser extent Iowa looking to make the games a rock fight. That should let our guys get out and play the game we want. The biggest concern we all have is relative to how we play in the post and with that we are up against:

Okie State- Yor Anei Avg 11 and 7. 6-11 235, Cameron Mcgriff- avg 8/6 6-7 235. After that everyone who gets minutes is listed as a guard. They have decent size for their guards but after Anei they are small team.

Iowa- Best big man we may see in Luka Garza. 6/11 260 and averages 23/10. Not a big-time athlete but absolutely a problem. They also start another twin tower in Jack Nunge 6-11 245 who averages 7/5. Kreiner at 6-10 245 comes off the bench and averages 8/5. Lots of size to worry about here- but we have advantage in athleticism. Iowa has not been impressive but still a major concern in the post.

GTech- the devil we know. Banks/Wright give them two quality bigs down low. They also have a guard (Devoe) averaging 26 a game right now. No easy game at all

Gtown- Yurtseven and Wahab are big boys to contend with along with LeBlanc off the bench who is a big-time athlete.

PSU- lots of shooters. Size wise a better matchup as they really only have Watkins at 6-9 254 inside. Stephens at 6-8 225 is solid as a PF too but the bench is thin for size. Mostly a smaller guard dominated team.

Ole Miss- One guy who is decent with good size Khadim Sy at 6-10 245. One bench player who is raw at 6-8 then no one above 6-7. A nice lot of guards including a couple with good size at 6-6 and 6-7. Overall though not a big team. Like PSU they can shoot it and can get hot.

Overall we have our work cut out for us. My biggest worries are Gtown and Iowa. I think we beat Okie State and the Ole Miss/PSU winner as they will be decent match ups for us. Expect we win 1/2 of Grown and Iowa. Also expect we beat GTech. 4-1 is my expectation but 3-2 is just as likely. Sidibe/Guerrier and Marek will be key. How they play on both sides is going to be the difference.
Nice!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom