Next season | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Next season

I‘ve been saying all along that the way to stop Buddy is to put a lock down defender on him. That’s been true all year and was true last night. And it will be true next year.
A lockdown defender that is 6’5” or taller AND doesn’t leave the rest of your defense exposed. Everyone except Sasser was over 6’5” so
It worked for Houston

A lockdown defender that is 6’5” or taller AND doesn’t leave the rest of your defense exposed. Everyone except Sasser was over 6’5” so
It worked for Houston

They were the best team we played all year. Bar none. We lost this game in the last 5 minutes of the first half and the first 5 of the second...

We need more athleticism on the team.

We can have some shooting but we need balance.
Buddy has earned no more crap from anyone.

We need Richmond and SF who can drive the ball.

Our roster needs more athletes.

That is the key.

We need more athleticism on the team.

We can have some shooting but we need balance.
Buddy has earned no more crap from anyone.

We need Richmond and SF who can drive the ball.

Our roster needs more athletes.
Agreed and a center who can score and block shots!!! Helps the offense when the 3’s aren’t falling!

Buddy will be who Buddy is. There is nothing he can do to make up for his lack of quickness and inability to beat a person off the dribble. He’ll continue to be a double digit scorer and horrendous defender.
Buddy had some great games -and some not-so-great games.
He's a great kid, hard worker, and a non-covid next season should indicate how high his bar is.
JB normally recruits lanky, huge wingspan athletes to play his zone.
Buddy doesn't fit that profile (or Joe for that matter). They are defensive liabilities.
Jimmy also doesn't appear to fit the profile, but played well vs SU in the 1 game I saw him.

Wonder what JB's recipe is regarding number of players on roster that don't fit his prototype for an effective 2-3 zone? Can Jimmy be expected to excel as a defender in SU's 2-3?

Buddy will be who Buddy is. There is nothing he can do to make up for his lack of quickness and inability to beat a person off the dribble. He’ll continue to be a double digit scorer and horrendous defender. He won’t be a star, except in the mind of some of our posters. The bigger issue is who starts at PG. My contention is that JGIII starts in spite of everything. That‘s a mistake.
Yea there is, and he will do it this summer. There is a whole industry built on maximizing, speed, strength and agility for athletes. It works. 2 of my boys did the Parisi speed school in Bville when it was open and the results were very obvious, and measurable.

Boeheim will never do this, but if he is going to start Buddy at the 2 (of course he will), he needs to start a real 1, and a real 3. Playing him with a tweener (and undersized) 1, and an undersized 3, is a failing formula. Buddy's game simply is not round enough to allow for suboptimal performers at other positions. It's like Boeheim selectively forgot this year that the zone is only good when it is "long."

I think Coach will try and make us longer next year!!! I think a huge key is Kadary coming back and a Center we can go to for scoring IMO

There’s a lot of h0t t8kes in this thread.

If players perceive there to be better opportunities elsewhere or in the pros, that’s fine. How successful have players been who transferred from Syracuse in recent history?

I’m hopeful that Kadary stays and seizes the starting PG position next year. I think there will be ample opportunity for minutes at the guard positions considering Girard’s flaws were really exposed this year and Kadary will have another off-season under his belt.

I like the combination of Jesse and Frank at the 5 next year, especially if Kadary is running point. His ability to get to the basket will open up opportunities for easy layups/dunks for the center.

Unless they’re confident in Bras’s injury improving in the off-season, we need to find a 4 who can stretch the floor and provide solid rebounding. Bras seems like a short spurt type of player, but the persistent injury makes it tough to rely on him. Jimmy Jr. could be a good bench player, but there seems to be a real opportunity for a transfer (or prep commit) to step in and play right away.

Benny seems like a day one starter, but perhaps there’s an opportunity to add a longer slasher who can open up opportunities for open looks at 3 with the defense collapsing. I think a lot of our issues this year stemmed from only one player who was a real threat to take the ball from outside the arc and attack the rim (Kadary).

We have one: he is developing very quickly
I disagree I think he is pretty good defensively but is nowhere close to where he needs to be offensively! Wahab is a must get in my eyes!!!

There’s a lot of h0t t8kes in this thread.

If players perceive there to be better opportunities elsewhere or in the pros, that’s fine. How successful have players been who transferred from Syracuse in recent history?

I’m hopeful that Kadary stays and seizes the starting PG position next year. I think there will be ample opportunity for minutes at the guard positions considering Girard’s flaws were really exposed this year and Kadary will have another off-season under his belt.

I like the combination of Jesse and Frank at the 5 next year, especially if Kadary is running point. His ability to get to the basket will open up opportunities for easy layups/dunks for the center.

Unless they’re confident in Bras’s injury improving in the off-season, we need to find a 4 who can stretch the floor and provide solid rebounding. Bras seems like a short spurt type of player, but the persistent injury makes it tough to rely on him. Jimmy Jr. could be a good bench player, but there seems to be a real opportunity for a transfer (or prep commit) to step in and play right away.

Benny seems like a day one starter, but perhaps there’s an opportunity to add a longer slasher who can open up opportunities for open looks at 3 with the defense collapsing. I think a lot of our issues this year stemmed from only one player who was a real threat to take the ball from outside the arc and attack the rim (Kadary).
I agree with most of this but believe we need a transfer center to be elite.

We know Buddy will be at the 2 and hope Richmond is at the 1. I believe Benny is a 3 and should be starting there since he is a 5 star guy and looks the part. I think 4 and 5 are the questions. Does Edwards stay and slot into starting at the 5? Do they get a stud transfer to split time at the 5 with Edwards? Do you think a stud transfer will come here after we see what happened to Griffin this season? Does QG stay and lock down the 4 or is that Braz or a transfer. I assume Woody is gone. It will be interesting but let's hope for another sweet 16 type run with more potential to win it all...and oh year no sweating it out on Selection Sunday :)

In recent years, SU would not have won the Ivy League.
I think you need to bone up on the quality of the Ivy League in basketball. One crude measure:

How many wins has the entire league had in the NCAA tournament in recent years compared to Syracuse?

Assuming Dole and QG are gone...
JB has to assess Sid's wheels and AG's "head". We have seen AG has talent.
But he acts as if he has no direction and has failed to grasp his role on the team.

Next year... starting lineup PG Kadary SG Buddy, Forwards Braswell and Benny 5 Edwards
SUBS guards JG3 and AG Forwards Woody and AG 5 Anselem

PRESS lineup Kadary AG Braswell Benny Anselem.
IF AG and Woody leave, gotta find a forward in the portal.

Kadary has to improve his motor. He plays half speed at times. The past few games his jumper looked very good. That will help. He has to stay focused and cut out the careless turnovers. Rotations in the zone need to get better too. If he’s a hard worker he can get a lot better. I guarantee Joe will work his butt off. If you think Joe will just hand someone playing time, you don’t know him.
Careless turnovers and rotations in the zones are your issues with Kadary and then you pump Joe up. Do you watch the same thing everyone else has been all year?

Of all the guys that are expected to leave Marek is the one I want to stay the most. He’s far from perfect but I think what he does on the offensive end is under-appreciated.
as a starter or reserve?

Need scoring forwards and he's not a center...nice player...but not a starting caliber player for a team with title aspirations (which is what SU should be)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom