Next year’s roster | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Next year’s roster

Sure he can easily afford it but there’s about another $20k to pay for unless he’s on scholie or living/eating at home (boring).
Next 4(5) years SU AD gives JB a 50k bonus for having a winning season. That bonus pays Buddy’s bills and keep the scholarship open.

Who starts doesn't matter. Who plays is what does.

If Battle leaves, I believe our best Guard (either PG or SG) will be Hughes.

Sure he can easily afford it but there’s about another $20k to pay for unless he’s on scholie or living/eating at home (boring).
I think it might come down to if JAB feels that there is another recruit he needs the scholarship for. Not sure money will be the factor but you are right. I would love to see a full roster of 13 plus Buddy. Then maybe they can play 40 minutes of hell.

Good point I hadn't thought about. But, like you say, JB can afford that.

Who starts doesn't matter. Who plays is what does.

If Battle leaves, I believe our best Guard (either PG or SG) will be Hughes.

I'm not sold on Hughes. I know ECU didn't have the best talent around him, but he was pretty bad in his freshman year there and he got a good amount of playing time. He's the right size for the zone, supposedly can shoot well, and the coaches are high on him, but I can't project him as being better than Carey or even Frank right now.

Frank is turnover prone and not a great finisher, but he's lighting it up from deep this season and doesn't look like he's slowing down. Carey is expected to be instant offense as soon as he steps on the court, too.

I know it's easy to spend other people's money, but $20k for Buddy to live on campus with a meal plan doesn't seem like it should be an issue for JB if it nets him another player on the roster that he thinks could contribute. $20k to him is like what? $2k to the rest of us?

If you put it in the context of spending $20k to legally add a 4 star recruit to the team, I think it's a no-brainer.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Hughes starts and Carey is the 6th man.

Best part about having options and competitive practices, is that you can throw them together and let the PT sort itself out.

Other than Frank, Bazley, and Brisset, I don't think anybody is penciled into the starting lineup [assuming everyone comes back and is healthy].

Best part about having options and competitive practices, is that you can throw them together and let the PT sort itself out.

Other than Frank, Bazley, and Brisset, I don't think anybody is penciled into the starting lineup [assuming everyone comes back and is healthy].

And I hope they all show up a day early over the summer and get right to it! I would love a drama free off-season this year. Is that too much to ask?

I'm not sold on Hughes. I know ECU didn't have the best talent around him, but he was pretty bad in his freshman year there and he got a good amount of playing time. He's the right size for the zone, supposedly can shoot well, and the coaches are high on him, but I can't project him as being better than Carey or even Frank right now.

Frank is turnover prone and not a great finisher, but he's lighting it up from deep this season and doesn't look like he's slowing down. Carey is expected to be instant offense as soon as he steps on the court, too.

re: Hughes. He was injured for part of the year, but started a portion of the season and had some very productive outings. He didn't shoot the ball well, I'll certainly grant that, but I wouldn't categorize his play as "pretty bad in his freshman year." He was also a frosh, and they tend to be inconsistent while acclimating to playing at the collegiate level.

Probably.

c2Q0EEX.gif

If the coaches are high on him, I hope - and pray - that it's not just because he's long.

The coaches are high on him because of how he performed at our elite camp when he was in HS, before he went off to prep. But we were prioritizing other recruits, so we didn't have room for him. And then he committed to ECU right around the time JB was getting ready to offer him. In a head-to-head prep matchup, he absolutely locked up the much more highly rated Hamidou Diallo [who we recruited, but ended up at Kentucky], outscoring him something like 25 to 2.

He's a big guard / wing -- weighs about 225 pounds at 6-6, and is versatile. He's supposed to be a good shooter -- better than his #'s at ECU. We'll see. Sounds a lot like Luke Jackson, with a bit more off the bounce. Again, we'll see.

PG- Carey
SG- Howard
SF- Brissett
PF- Bazley
C- Chukwu

Bench: Hughes, Moyer, Dolezaj, Sidibe, Washington, Boeheim(non-scholarship)
I am assuming Battle is gone.
We have 2 more scholarships to give out who are we recruiting for next year?
We could use another guard and big.
Even if Battle is back we still have another scholarship and this program needs a full roster and use the extra scholarship.
I am excited for next year too, but (and I am stealing this from Gottlieb, but I think it is a salient point) there are so few teams now with legitimate depth. The reason for this, and I agree with Doug, is that so few players are willing to sit around and wait for their turn to play. This is the age of the transfer, I just don't see our roster playing out in this fashion. Hypothetically, I could see Marek going back to Europe. I could see Washington transferring to play more, etc.

I too want to see us go into a season with our full allotment of scholarships used, but don't count on it. And if we were to add to our depth, it likely won't be a player of any great ilk. I mean, who wants to sit, or play a lot in December (and never again when the ACC schedule kicks in), or average 7 minutes per game?

Not too many.

PG Frank
SG Hughes
SF: Baz
PF: Bris
C: Chewy

Carey plays the Dion role super 6th as he can sub for either G position.
I also think we may see the following line up occasionally.

PG: Carey or Frank
SG: Baz
SF: Briz or Hughes
PW: Moyer
C: Chewy hopefully Sid

Baz may actually be a better 2 than 3 or 4. With Baz Bris Hughes and either Frank or Carey on the floor we have a ton of scoring options and exceptional length on D.

This team is going to be loaded. If Sid can get back to full speed watch out.

I am excited for next year too, but (and I am stealing this from Gottlieb, but I think it is a salient point) there are so few teams now with legitimate depth. The reason for this, and I agree with Doug, is that so few players are willing to sit around and wait for their turn to play. This is the age of the transfer, I just don't see our roster playing out in this fashion. Hypothetically, I could see Marek going back to Europe. I could see Washington transferring to play more, etc.

I too want to see us go into a season with our full allotment of scholarships used, but don't count on it. And if we were to add to our depth, it likely won't be a player of any great ilk. I mean, who wants to sit, or play a lot in December (and never again when the ACC schedule kicks in), or average 7 minutes per game?

Not too many.

Those are the two who seem most "at risk" if for no other reason than the numbers alone. Not suggesting that they WILL opt out.

It seems odd that we'd have such depth, after so many years of inadequate depth. When have we ever had 5 players capable of playing guard? Or four forwards who might all be capable of playing a heavy load of minutes [and 5, if you count Hughes prospectively sliding to 3]? Would definitely be a first world set of problems.

He'd have to press / play an expanded rotation, or there would be lots of disgruntled players. I could see him using an expanded roster like he did in 2012, then going with the "closers" for the last 6 minutes of the game. But a guy like Washington would probably have to wait for a bigger role the following year.

Then again, you never know -- players get injured, unexpected things happen, etc. Our 10 guys [counting Buddy] could be down to 9 or 8 or 7 if the bad luck of the last few years holds form.

Agree 100% with your take on the big -- they'd be a deep reserve, probably a developmental type like the kid we lost to Washington in November, or a euro.

Barring something unforeseen, I'd be astonished if Chukwu wasn't our starting C next year. I think the only real question regarding starters is Hughes or Carey, though both will play a ton.

Then again, you never know -- players get injured, unexpected things happen, etc.
My assumption over the last dozen years or so have been that whenever there might be an issue with too much depth, things have a habit of working themselves out by May or June before the season starts.

I really hope HW stays. We need to have some kind of roster stability going forward. He's really fundamentally sound.
I think he will. After next year i can see him starting at Point as a junior

I really hope HW stays. We need to have some kind of roster stability going forward. He's really fundamentally sound.
Is their rumors he is unhappy?
If he is run off then WTH.

He's a big guard / wing -- weighs about 225 pounds at 6-6, and is versatile. He's supposed to be a good shooter -- better than his #'s at ECU..
Do we not have any practice reports? I feel like we're going off information that is 2-3 years old.

I think he will. After next year i can see him starting at Point as a junior

Goodine could be the starting PG that year.