Next year’s roster | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Next year’s roster

Francis's latest pod has some really interesting tidbits about things going on behind the scenes that'll impact next year's roster. Not encouraging.

pick ‘em apathetics too! maybe you can combine admin? OR leave it alone mabe some people will have second thoughts?

Who do you think JAB will choose for his starting five? My answer – the best he’s got to begin the season. Just thought this would be interesting. Who will start and what will be the rotation off the bench. One caveat, Battle returns for another year so for this excersize we have 11 options.

Who are your picks for the 2018 -19 SU Starters:

1. Darius Bazley Fr., F, 5*

2. Jalen Carey, Fr, Pg., 4*

3. Buddy Boeheim Fr., Sg, 3*

4. Frank Howard Sr., G, 4*

5. Tyus Battle Jr., SF*, 5*

6. Oshae Brissett So., F, 4*

7. Paschal Chukwu Sr., C, 4*

8. Michael Moyer So., F, 4*

9. Howard Washington So., G, 3*

10. Marek Dolezaj So., F, 3*

11. Bourama Sidibe So., F , 4*
Remember, coach likes to say it takes a year in this league to get anywhere. He said that for the ACC and Big East. But if you have a 5* All American point coming in maybe you start him if he is a player with great skill and basketball knowledge. Tough without proven shooters this year. Who knows who is going to be the most skilled when they get on the court? Perhaps Paschal will play with an “edge” and be great – hope so. Your hypothetical pick?

Mine:

1. Pg. Jalen Carey r Howard Washington

2. Sg. Frank Howard r Oshae Brissett

3. F Tyus Battle r Michael Moyer

4. F Darius Bazley r Marek Dolezaj

5. C Paschal Chukwu r Bourama Sidibe
Hopefully we will have a better offensive set with the above and be able to score more than 50 points a game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good point i forgot about him. Can Goodine play the 2?

I think he's playing both right now but trending towards a point. he was quoted in an interview that JB said he wanted him to play PG here.

With a legit 9 on the roster we will press.
JB wants to press. If we have the depth to not worry about fatigue or foul trouble he will mix it in.
We need a big who can post up. I really hope we are recruiting another big. We need a full roster.

I love a big who can post up and love when our offense can work a little more inside-out. But I think the key is being able to get scoring in the paint. Chuckwu has made strides and I would imagine that even if Bazely is a bit more perimeter oriented, he and Brissett should provide more. Might get at least catch-and-finish points from Moyer and I would think Dolezaj should at least be better in that area as well. With that group I'm not super concerned about a freshman big who can score with his back to the basket.

Who starts doesn't matter. Who plays is what does.

Is that you JB?

Sorry, that's bs. It worked for Dion, so what. The goal for a kid is to be a starter and they're the best and they've worked their tail off then they deserve a starting spot.

The token starter thing or the "who plays matters" is one of the most dumb things I've seen or heard of.

Next 4(5) years SU AD gives JB a 50k bonus for having a winning season. That bonus pays Buddy’s bills and keep the scholarship open.

All this discussion of the 13th scholarship, why?

Show me the following:

1. When over the last 30 years have we used all 13 available scholarships on recruited players where none were sitting out?

2. What would JB do with more than 10 active scholarship players on his roster? He's certainly not going to play them all. That means those scholarships go either to low quality scrubs who are satisfied not sniffing the floor or we're likely to have chemistry problems.

Show me the following:

1. When over the last 30 years have we used all 13 available scholarships on recruited players where none were sitting out?

2. What would JB do with more than 10 active scholarship players on his roster? He's certainly not going to play them all. That means those scholarships go either to low quality scrubs who are satisfied not sniffing the floor or we're likely to have chemistry problems.
If that is the case JB has no excuse for how our current roster has so many problems.
I don’t want to hear sanctions have hurt us if JB being down 2 scholarships is not a big deal.

We need a full roster. Recruit some 3 star kids who will develop and be ready to play to fill out the roster.

Is that you JB?

Sorry, that's bs. It worked for Dion, so what. The goal for a kid is to be a starter and they're the best and they've worked their tail off then they deserve a starting spot.

The token starter thing or the "who plays matters" is one of the most dumb things I've seen or heard of.

The peak years of the token starter was roughly 09-14 or so, which also coincided with a great run of success. So, while it drove me nuts too, I’m not sure there’s any reason to suspect it hurt the team.

The peak years of the token starter was roughly 09-14 or so, which also coincided with a great run of success. So, while it drove me nuts too, I’m not sure there’s any reason to suspect it hurt the team.

Yes, players like Kris Joseph, Kristof Ongenaet, Dion, Scoop, C.J. Fair, Baye Moussa Keita, James Southerland, Jerami Grant, Dion all came off the bench giving energy/scoring punch during their career.

As I said in another thread a few days ago, right now we are like a baseball team who has 7 starting pitchers in March but then stuff happens. As others have said, these things work themselves out.

I'm a huge Sidibe fan but not going out and grabbing another 5 for '18 looks like a mistake with the question marks we have with his health and PC being...uh... inconsistent. The only thing I'm thinking is maybe we have an "in" with a '19 big and we don't want to scare him away? Nah, I don't know.

Show me the following:

yea, I wonder what people are talking about. there are plenty of years we haven't used 13 and given walkons a scholie. has nothing to do with the sanctions which were harsher.

yea, I wonder what people are talking about. there are plenty of years we haven't used 13 and given walkons a scholie. has nothing to do with the sanctions which were harsher.
Those years we weren’t at 13 we had Upperclassmen to lead the team.

We have no Seniors right now and look at the team. It’s struggling. Upperclassmen are important.
13 players is a lot to ask. Recruit players depth is important.
So you can survive injuries.
If we had another big Sidibe wouldn’t be gutting it out.

This current roster is paying for the lost scholarships as Johnson and Patterson would still be here as Seniors.

If that is the case JB has no excuse for how our current roster has so many problems.
I don’t want to hear sanctions have hurt us if JB being down 2 scholarships is not a big deal.

We need a full roster. Recruit some 3 star kids who will develop and be ready to play to fill out the roster.

There is a difference between having them available to use and actually using them all. For example if you know it is possible that you will have a couple of guys leave early, you can afford to recruit more reinforcements with your available scholarships and not have to wait for guys to make their final stay/go decision to know if you will have ships available. So if Battle surprises everyone and comes back we were able to recruit replacements in advance and don't have to run someone off after he elects to return.

Those years we weren’t at 13 we had Upperclassmen to lead the team.

We have no Seniors right now and look at the team. It’s struggling. Upperclassmen are important.
13 players is a lot to ask. Recruit players depth is important.
So you can survive injuries.
If we had another big Sidibe wouldn’t be gutting it out.

This current roster is paying for the lost scholarships as Johnson and Patterson would still be here as Seniors.
I think Johnson and Patterson would still be gone. They are Seniors now because of transfer year.

I remember JB pulling Fab 30 seconds into a game against St. John’s his freshman year. Had to be the most token start of all time.
If I remember correctly, Rak spent his entire freshman year with the token start. Never made it to the first TV timeout very regularly. We know how JB do!!

Show me the following:

How about developing future core players so that when we have early departures in April there are athletes in the wings that understand our concepts (particularly on defense) and can seamlessly step in. 30 years ago you had guys like Derrick Coleman staying four years. Now, every double digit scorer is rumored to be looking to leave early. And we do not run a plug-and-play system. How many first year players have been able to step in and understand the intricacies of the 2-3 from Day 1. I would think you can count them on one hand. I think you have chemistry problems if you recruit a roster full of five stars all looking to the NBA. Might be naive but I still believe there are 3 / 4 star players willing to put in the work, develop into solid roles and, oh, by the way, get an education along the way.

pick ‘em apathetics too! maybe you can combine admin? OR leave it alone mabe some people will have second thoughts?

Who do you think JAB will choose for his starting five? My answer – the best he’s got to begin the season. Just thought this would be interesting. Who will start and what will be the rotation off the bench. One caveat, Battle returns for another year so for this excersize we have 11 options.

1. Darius Bazley Fr., , 5*
  6. Oshae Brissett So., , 4*
  8. Michael Moyer So., , 4*
  10. Marek Dolezaj So., , 3*
  11. Bourama Sidibe So., , 4*
Mine:
  1. Pg. Jalen Carey r Frank Howard
  2. Sg. Buddy Boeheim r Oshae Brissett
  3. Tyus Battle r Michael Moyer
  4. Darius Bazley r Marek Dolezaj
Don't forget Elijah Hughes...

Francis's latest pod has some really interesting tidbits about things going on behind the scenes that'll impact next year's roster. Not encouraging.
Oh boy. Who's leaving?

:oops:

right now we are like a baseball team who has 7 starting pitchers in March but then stuff happens. ..these things work themselves out.
Unless you're the Mets.
Then things just get worse.

1. Darius Bazley Fr., , 5*

6. Oshae Brissett So., , 4*

8. Michael Moyer So., , 4*

10. Marek Dolezaj So., , 3*

11. Bourama Sidibe So., , 4*
Remember, coach likes to say it takes a year in this league to get anywhere. He said that for the ACC and Big East. But if you have a 5* All American point coming in maybe you start him if he is a player with great skill and basketball knowledge. Tough without proven shooters this year. Who knows who is going to be the most skilled when they get on the court? Perhaps Paschal will play with an “edge” and be great – hope so. Your hypothetical pick?

Mine:

1. Pg. Jalen Carey r Frank Howard

2. Sg. Buddy Boeheim r Oshae Brissett

3. Tyus Battle r Michael Moyer

4. Darius Bazley r Marek Dolezaj

Tyus will not be back. The backcourt will be Carey and Howard with Bazely and Brissett up front with Sidibe and PC splitting the center minutes. I think HW will be the 3rd guard and Marek the 3rd forward. I don’t think Hughes will get lots of minutes.

Tyus will not be back. The backcourt will be Carey and Howard with Bazely and Brissett up front with Sidibe and PC splitting the center minutes. I think HW will be the 3rd guard and Marek the 3rd forward. I don’t think Hughes will get lots of minutes.
Tyus plus 1, but I don't have any idea who the plus 1 will be, though there are candidates.