Next Year 2016-2017 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Next Year 2016-2017

I hope we post up DC more next year. He's not great, but he has shown some ability this year, especially today, in creating a little jump hook. He's not good enough or athletic enough to finish inside consistently, so I hope he works in that jump hook. Getting the ball in the post enabled him to connect on some passes to cutters.

Enough with the non-stop ball screens and dribbling around aimlessly. This team needs to have a purpose in their offensive sets and be more proactive, instead of waiting 20 seconds to initiate anything substantial.

DC is still in recovery mode. He will be more athletic as he recovers. What he will be like next year is an unknown but a pleasant surprise is not out of the question. The fact that he lasted the whole season leads me to believe that his recovery will continue.

Hard to complain about Coleman after yesterday. That was his best overall game of the year.

We will need him next year against teams like that. Hopefully he is able to slow down and finish some of those post moves he misses now.

OrangeMaNPD said:
Any time we have inexperience at the PG position, I try not to get my hopes up.

Except for that championship.

And really all four of JB's Final Four runs

1987 - Sophmore Douglas who had sat behind Pearl the year before. As a frosh he played 11 mpg and didn't get in every game / 9.5 mpg if you factor in his DNPs.
1996 - Senior Sims who was a first year starter. The year prior he played 15 mpg.
2003 - Frosh GMAC supplemented by Frosh Edelin
2013 - Sophmore MCW. The year prior he averaged 10mpg in the games he played in, but didn't see time in 11 games / 7.2 mpg if you factor in his DNPs.

Frankie Howard played 10.6 mpg this season. 9 mpg if you factor in his DNPs

Coleman and Roberson will start (even if they don't get most of the minutes)
Other than KJ (who stopped playing completely) when is the last time JB took a person out of the starting lineup?

We'll see, Jake.

I'm surprised you're so optimistic.

I think we miss G more than most realize.

And I'm not even taking into account if one of our guards turns an ankle and is out a length of time.

I'm waiting to see what we do with the 11th scholarship and Joseph's scholie if he bolts.
I think 23-24 wins is pretty conservative.

Have been down on the potential of the team the past couple of years but that changes next season.

Battle, Richardson and Howard are going to be an improvement over what we had at guard this year.

Lydon, Roberson and Moyer will be an improvement at the forward spots.

And Coleman and Chukwu will be much better than what we had in the middle this season.

An athletic shotblocker in the middle will bring this team back to an elite level defensively and we have enough scorers to pile up a lot of wins. We will be really tough for teams to play man to man defense against us. Lots of matchup problems...

It will be good to have quality depth for the first time in a while. Especially if we pick up another guard down the road.

sutomcat said:
I think 23-24 wins is pretty conservative. Have been down on the potential of the team the past couple of years but that changes next season. Battle, Richardson and Howard are going to be an improvement over what we had at guard this year. Lydon, Roberson and Moyer will be an improvement at the forward spots. And Coleman and Chukwu will be much better than what we had in the middle this season. An athletic shotblocker in the middle will bring this team back to an elite level defensively and we have enough scorers to pile up a lot of wins. We will be really tough for teams to play man to man defense against us. Lots of matchup problems... It will be good to have quality depth for the first time in a while. Especially if we pick up another guard down the road.

Like your optimism.

As a longtime fan like yourself, I'm hesitant to predict that many wins until next fall. This is Syracuse and too many things can happen in the offseason.

I'd be a little more confident if Howard had a jumper.

DC is still in recovery mode. He will be more athletic as he recovers. What he will be like next year is an unknown but a pleasant surprise is not out of the question. The fact that he lasted the whole season leads me to believe that his recovery will continue.
Eh, he wasn't exactly a top athlete before his injuries. He never had much lift and always struggled to finish inside, even against smaller schools. What he needs to work on is creating space with his body and being sure to ward off defenders when going up with attempts. He started to do that at times, but could never do it consistently. What he needs to do next year is find that consistency, with layups and a hook shot, because I doubt he'll ever play much more above the rim than he does right now.

Battle, Richardson and Howard are going to be an improvement over what we had at guard this year.

The loss of G is going to be huge. He was just so, so, so good this year. He hit a number of big shots that I'm not sure will be easy to replace. Battle > Cooney, for sure, but the loss of G negates that and the improvement that Mal/Howard might make.

This is a hot mess of a post. Richardson and Lydon will be improved, I'd expect a big jump from both. Battle is an NBA guard.
If Chukuwu blocks 3-4 shots a game and secures actual rebounds, maybe a putback or two? We won't need him to produce as much on O. Moyer has offensive game - especially rebounds and going up like a beast.

This years problem was largely not on O. It was rebounding and interior D.

Chukwu is gonna block 3-4 shots a game now?
While splitting time at the 5 with DC (most likely)?
And after not playing for a year?
After playing sparingly at Providence as a Frosh?

Ok. Sounds legit. :rolleyes:

Etan Thomas was a starter and averaged between 27-32 mpg his So-Sr seasons.
And his best 2 seasons of blocking shots averaged 3.9.

Fab Melo (who?) averaged 25 minutes and 2.9 blocks as a Soph
(when he wasn't at Chucks. :p)
Fab's breakout Big East Defensive POY season stats (rounded off) were 8, 6, and 3.

I'm just saying that we all need to slow our roll about how much Chukwu can or will do for us.

Last edited:
Agree with Tomcat said above. Next year we get back on track.

I think we underestimate all the program has been through the past two years. Last year was a weird year with the ban. This year was probably worse with JB out of the mix for the games. That's a big, big deal. And don't forget we are on probation. Point is that there was and still has stuff off the court that could help to hold us back. I don't think anyone can think we would just skate through these years without being hurt by any of this stuff.

Next year's team will have more players playing positions where they fit the Syracuse mold. Howard, Malachi, and (by all account) Battle are prototypical Syracuse guards -- long and rangy. Whether he starts or not, those in the know believe Chukwu is going to play a lot. The zone functions better with a shot blocker in the middle., The center in Syracuse's zone is rarely relied on to post big rebounding numbers. Rather, he's there to erase mistakes when the other team gets into the middle of the zone. The forwards are relied on to get rebounds, and our guards usually get a lot of rebounds (for guards) because they are tall ands rangy and because the zone leaves them in good position to grab medium and long rebounds in the paint.

The best Syracuse teams also usually have a decent-sized forward who can shoot from the outside -- Anthony, Southerland, Wes Johnson, heck even Derrick Coleman. Tyler Lydon is made for that role.

I'd be very surprised if next year's team is not significantly better than this year's team.

The best Syracuse teams also usually have a decent-sized forward who can shoot from the outside -- Anthony, Southerland, Wes Johnson, heck even Derrick Coleman. Tyler Lydon is made for that role.
I'm as high on Lydon as anyone and think he's gone next year barring the unforeseeable. BUT I think his best college position is at the stretch 4. Bees is right that we don't have a natural 3 on next year's team. Moyer at this stage of his development is also a 4. So is Roberson. Lydon is the best (and perhaps only) candidate to function as a 3 but I'm not sure he has the quickness to take small forwards off the bounce. It's a potential concern to see how he'll adapt, but Lydon has the IQ and fundamentals to make the best of that situation. The bigger concerns are whether Chucky can be a poor man's Fab Melo... whether Howard can continue to develop... and whether Battle is the real deal who can replace most of G's production.

We need to put Battle/Howard/Malachi through the Dino conditioning regimen this summer to get ready for Cooney/G minutes.

The loss of G is going to be huge. He was just so, so, so good this year. He hit a number of big shots that I'm not sure will be easy to replace. Battle > Cooney, for sure, but the loss of G negates that and the improvement that Mal/Howard might make.
I respectfully disagree.

Malachi will be better at SG than Cooney was on defense, passing, driving, shooting, handling the ball and rebounding. Major upgrade there.

Battle is a better ball handler and passer than S, is quicker and even more athletic. G was a fine SF who played out of position at PG and it showed. I think he will be close to where G was at PG even as a freshman.

Howard should be better than he was this season. Significantly better.

We need to put Battle/Howard/Malachi through the Dino conditioning regimen this summer to get ready for Cooney/G minutes.

Ummm... We will have 3 guys compared to 2 in this scenario. And that's if we don't add another guy. Your math is off.

SUFan44 said:
Ummm... We will have 3 guys compared to 2 in this scenario. And that's if we don't add another guy. Your math is off.
Battle may play the 3.

But another guy would help. Immensely.

Battle may play the 3.

Battle chose SU, specifically because we would give him a shot at the 1.
None of the other final schools recruiting him would promise that.

Battle may play the 3.

I agree with this. I think there's a decent chance we play Battle, Malachi, and Howard at the same time a lot next year. It will hurt us on one wing in terms of defensive rebounding, but that might be a trade-off we make at times.

721Comstock said:
Battle chose SU, specifically because we would give him a shot at the 1. None of the other final schools recruiting him would promise that.

There are others here, more esteemed than myself, who think he could play the 3. Doesn't mean he won't get turns at the 1 or play point forward. But Battle, Howard and Malachi could be on the floor at the same time.

The pitch to Battle was that he would have the ball in his hands, a lot, that doesn't mean he's going to play PG in a conventional two guard lineup.

The "all is puppies and rainbows in Orange Land" take:

The team comes back in 2016 pissed off at the '15 season and with a chip on their shoulders because of JB suspension, the team underachieving, letting down their 5th year seniors and the fan base. There is a fierce sense of aggression and nastiness from day 1 as players compete for spots and playing time.

-Howard works on his mid-range jumper and stop and pop game and progresses enough to start at PG being a threat to drive the ball and convert inside 10 feet. Averages 6 pts/6 asst per game
-Battle is a combo guard who starts out at the 2 and fills in at 1 spot and contributes 12 points/4 assts per game
-Malachi adds 10 pounds of muscle and works on his block out fundamentals and his midrange jumper and starts at 3 giving us 15 pts/6 boards/game
-Lydon puts on 20 pounds of bulk and adds a little quickness resulting in a better inside game both offensively and defensively playing in the 4 spot. 11 pts/7 reb/game
-Coleman works on his footwork and handwork and becomes a respectable consistent offensive threat underneath. 8 pts/9 rebs/game

-Chukwu has a year of familiarity in the zone which translates into proper spacing and positioning to be a defensive force in the middle when Coleman gets into foul trouble. 4 pts/5 reb/2 blocks/game
-Roberson fits much better in the scheme coming off the bench feeling less pressure to perform resulting in 6 pts/8 rebs a game
-Moyer comes off the bench at the 3 and provides offensive spark as he adjusts to the zone defensively. 7 pts/4 reb/2 assts/game
-Joseph returns because no one else really wants him at this point. Things start to click and he gains confidence in practice and gradually works into the rotation when needed. 4 pts/3 assts/game

JB realizes he has a solid 8-9 player rotation that can contribute and give him flexibility with positions and matchups

SU wins 23 games and finishes top 3 in the ACC and makes a Final Four run in the NCAA

I think 23-24 wins is pretty conservative.

Have been down on the potential of the team the past couple of years but that changes next season.

Lydon, Roberson and Moyer will be an improvement at the forward spots.

And Coleman and Chukwu will be much better than what we had in the middle this season.

An athletic shotblocker in the middle will bring this team back to an elite level defensively and we have enough scorers to pile up a lot of wins. We will be really tough for teams to play man to man defense against us. Lots of matchup problems...

It will be good to have quality depth for the first time in a while. Especially if we pick up another guard down the road.

Like you, I'm pretty excited about that roster. I think the ability to move people around is going to be incredibly useful, and we have a decent number of guys who can make things happen off the bounce, and two that we already know should be fairly dependable shooters. It will be interesting to see how Lydon and Richardson progress though as players.

If Richardson can be more steady penetrating, and finish stronger, and Lydon shows a bit more off the bounce - I can't see us not being fairly explosive.

Obviously I'm expecting the Frosh to be able to contribute early, if that shakes out differently than expected, and we get nothing from them things could devolve quickly. I guess. lol :)

The "Chicken Little" take:

The team comes back complacent in 2016 due to JB's impending retirement with Lydon and Mal playing to increase their draft stock. Battle plays the year because the NBA says he has to play one year out of high school

-Howard fails to be our PG because he hasn't developed any offensive game over the summer and reserves seat #9 on the bench
-Battle is a combo guard but plays the 1 because we have no one else
-Malachi adds 10 pounds of muscle but doesn't develop a midrange game and likes to chuck 10 3's a game
-Lydon puts on 20 pounds of bulk but it fails to make him stronger on the defensive glass and his 3 ball goes south
-Coleman really is who he has played like he was

-Chukwu is another recruiting faux pas and is Keita-esque at best
-Roberson goes deeper into the dog house because JB thinks he's just checked out. He reserves seat #10 on the bench
-Moyer ends up starting b/c Howard is way down in seat #9 and gives us 11pts/4 reb/2 assts/game and gets our hopes up for the future
-Joseph transfers to Holy Cross

JB doesn't do anything different and uses a 6 1/2 man rotation and says we won't beat anybody, I mean ANYBODY if we can't hit shots...and we don't

SU wins 15 games and everyone says "we woulda been a Final Four team" if only Cooney was back for another year to be our sniper and we had snagged Thompson

joseph and obokah have no future here, would like to see their spots go towards thompson/ 5th year transfer...

PG Battle
SG Malachi
SF Lydon
PF Roberson
C Coleman

Bench
C Chukuuwu
G Howard
F Moyer
F Thompson ?
5th year transfer ?

Forum statistics