Next Year 2016-2017 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Next Year 2016-2017

Next year we'll have more talent, a true PG, and a legit rim protector. 2 of our 3 best players will return stronger and more experienced.

It will truly be a completely different team. I don't really understand those who see the same results as this year.

Next year we'll have more talent, a true PG, and a legit rim protector. 2 of our 3 best players will return stronger and more experienced.

It will truly be a completely different team. I don't really understand those who see the same results as this year.

My concern is point guard. Howard should be better, yes, and I hope he develops some sort of shot so his defender can't sag off him. Battle is really a pure 2, though I expect him to handle the ball and run the point a lot.

Look at the bright side. Richardson's play in the last few games means he isn't going anywhere. And with us not winning, I don't have to have an uncomfortable moment with my boss, who really didn't want me to skip out and attend the game tomorrow. But I was going to anyway.

Go Yankees.

Howard
Battle
Richardson (Moyer)
Roberson (with Lydon getting most of the playing time)
Coleman (with Pascal getting most of the playing time)

8 man rotation next year with Colemen & Roberson getting little playing time.

Howard
Battle
Richardson (Moyer)
Roberson (with Lydon getting most of the playing time)
Coleman (with Pascal getting most of the playing time)

8 man rotation next year with Colemen & Roberson getting little playing time.

no way lydon is on the bench..

Battles not a PG, DJC is what he is, Roberson is laughably bipolar, and apparently Chukwu is the answer to all our frontcourt issues because 7'2".

If he were not a good ball handler he would not be called Kid Mamba! He's probably better than an average PG because he's so fast.

Drink the Kool Aid. Next year isn't gonna be any different. Maybe worse.

Well, if that turns out to be true I will have to take a break from Orange BB for a while.

After today's game I may have to take a break. I'm going fishing in 3 weeks. I'm working on rigs right now. Just taking a little break to let my fingers rest. I don't know how many Palomar and Improved Cinch knots I have tied in my life. But I'm approaching hall of fame numbers.

1.png

Life will continue after this basketball season ends.

Anyone who mentions 25-0 in our list of accomplishments needs a temporary ban. That's stooping to rutgirls level of celebration.
25-0 start and a 4 seed in the tourney.

Sounds awful.

Overall point remains. A first year starter PG is not exactly a death knell for JB teams.

Apparently the head coach. If he wanted to play an up-tempo style, he would say as much. He's all about winning rock fights in the zone until he retires.
Hopefully it's time to walk away while the program is still in good shape.

If he were not a good ball handler he would not be called Kid Mamba! He's probably better than an average PG because he's so fast.

He gone.

You really have become the king of all pessimism.

Next years team will get to 23-24 wins.

Jake,
Been waiting on your thoughts about the game. Looking forward to your take.

Jake said:
You really have become the king of all pessimism. Next years team will get to 23-24 wins.

We'll see, Jake.

I'm surprised you're so optimistic.

I think we miss G more than most realize.

And I'm not even taking into account if one of our guards turns an ankle and is out a length of time.

I'm waiting to see what we do with the 11th scholarship and Joseph's scholie if he bolts.

I have no expectations for next year. I think it'll be another down year and an absolute struggle on the offensive end. Whatever the offense is that we run is not working. This program used to be more up tempo and much higher scoring than it currently is. We spend 15-20 seconds dribbling around, picking up our dribble to halt any flow and then setting a high ball screen to find a jump shot. It's brutal. The lack of offensive skill has been on display for a number of years now and in this conference, this doesn't cut it.

We really need Battle to be a monster.

chukuwu better be starting. i dont wanna see roberson starting, im 50/50 if i even want him back

Does anyone else believe that Coleman will start? I know he says he doesn't, but it sure seems to me that JB makes promises about starting.

CuseFaninVT said:
Does anyone else believe that Coleman will start? I know he says he doesn't, but it sure seems to me that JB makes promises about starting.

Coleman probably starts. But Chukwu will get quality minutes.

cuseguy said:
Coleman probably starts. But Chukwu will get quality minutes.

Yes, Coleman will start.

HRE Otto IV said:
We will still be an offensively challenged team. I don't expect much, if any O coming from Roberson, Howard, or Chukuwu. Will Joseph even contribute? Coleman has potential to make a big jump on O. So either he or Moyer will need to provide O otherwise we will just be the same team as this year with Battle replacing G. Heck maybe even worse as at least Cooney gives you the threat of a three.

This is a hot mess of a post. Richardson and Lydon will be improved, I'd expect a big jump from both. Battle is an NBA guard. If Chukuwu blocks 3-4 shots a game and secures actual rebounds, maybe a putback or two? We won't need him to produce as much on O. Moyer has offensive game - especially rebounds and going up like a beast.

This years problem was largely not on O. It was rebounding and interior D.

PG-Battle
SG-Richardson
SF-Moyer
PF-Lydon
C-Paschal

In the rotation:
If we get a grad or juco guard
Coleman
Howard
Roberson

Eh, next year we will be fine. We give up between 59-66 points per game every year - at least over the last 7 years. With Chukwu back there we can protect the rim, sort of like we were able to with Rak, so we should be in the middle of that range. 3 point defense is always pretty good, except for the Ennis/Cooney year. We should be better than that combo up top defensively next year.

The biggest difference is that the offense will be functional. Having players that can put the ball on the floor will be huge, and being able to create off the bounce will pay dividends for everyone. Guard play drives college basketball, and we had no traditional guards. G did an admirable job, and Howard shows potential, but otherwise, it was just too hard to overcome the deficiencies. We seem to be addressing that - at the very least we're going to have more playmakers on the court together. That's a good thing.

I can see Roberson being better, DC, etc...I think what you saw in the second half is the major benefit of having playmakers on the floor making plays. Running around a decoy is great for creating space, if space won games we would be undefeated I guess, but you never had to help on defense, etc...it just didn't do enough for this roster to help much.

We know Lydon and Mali can shoot. If we can get something resembling respectable numbers from a third option, and we should, we will be fine in that regard as well. Howard can shoot whatever he wants, teams are going to guard him. He was always known as more of a scorer than shooter in HS, so I think he can get it done...that floater should be a good weapon. If Battle is ready from Day 1, and by all accounts he should be, we're going to be good by year's end. No doubt. Maybe a little. :)

obviously next year has a lot of potential and a lot of uncertainty due to the youth on the ball

for sure it will be a much more balanced team

I think the OP is correct with the starting line up

I think DC2 is going to get the Forth treatment. start and play the first 5 of every half, more pt if earned. Chuckwu gets the rest of the 5 pt

lydon and robe starting F's.

robe just needs to be a rebounding and put back machine with moyer backing him up at the 4

tyler plays the 3 with mal covering some there when JB plays Mal, Battle and Frankie together. Lydon slides to 4 sometimes with these other 3 on the floor. I actually think our most effective lineup will be frankie, battle, mal, lydon and big chuck.

backcourt will be battle and mal with frankie off the bench. kaleb gone.

rotation
1: Battle/Frank/5th year combo guard
2: Mal/Battle/same 5th year
3: Lydon/Mal/a different 5th year wing defender and decent shooter
4: Roberson/Moyer/Lydon/Thompson?
5: DC/Chuckwu/Thompson?/Chino

and if the team has a deep run, JB gone...or he coaches for another 5

I hope we post up DC more next year. He's not great, but he has shown some ability this year, especially today, in creating a little jump hook. He's not good enough or athletic enough to finish inside consistently, so I hope he works in that jump hook. Getting the ball in the post enabled him to connect on some passes to cutters.

Enough with the non-stop ball screens and dribbling around aimlessly. This team needs to have a purpose in their offensive sets and be more proactive, instead of waiting 20 seconds to initiate anything substantial.