Next year, NY6 or better | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Next year, NY6 or better

I don't think I have ever been more confident than now in saying that we can replace a QB who was the face and heart of the program - and not miss a beat. Have we ever had a QB transition where we felt better?

If we don't get the 1st or 2nd seed in the CFP, I suppose I'll be ok with the 3rd or 4th.

That's pushing it, though.

I don't think I have ever been more confident than now in saying that we can replace a QB who was the face and heart of the program - and not miss a beat. Have we ever had a QB transition where we felt better?

McNabb to Madei/Nunes?

Sorry, a little ‘99 Spring Game humor there.

McNabb to Madei/Nunes?

Sorry, a little ‘99 Spring Game humor there.

773B80AC-F3BB-4D72-9FD8-675E5DD75B48.jpeg

Not asking a lot at all.

The schedule is as favorable as it will every be. Lville will still be a mess. FSU isn't going to fix it's OL in one season. NCSt will have a new QB and the monster WR will be gone. Pitt, BC, Wake, are at home. The OOC is very favorable. It's likely there won't be a cold weather game all year. Devito fits what they want to do on offense better.

The RB rotation will be set, Adams for Strick, Howard gets a full year of coaching, but he's set for the short yardage close redzone role. The firm of Harris, Johnson, Johnson and Riley will get even more partners. This might be the best two deep in the secondary in program history. Two high end DE's and three very experienced interior DT's.

Love the optimism and don't disagree with the idea that we have the potential to make that sort of run. However, it's worth noting that our run this year (which is the case any time a team other than Alabama is really good out of nowhere) has something to do with other ACC teams really struggling. How we do going forward probably has something to do with how everyone else does. A healthy BC, for example, would at least be a much tougher matchup. So it will be interesting to see what happens.

No. 13-2. He predicts 11-1 regular season. Conference championship get us to 12-1. Win the playoff semi gets us 13-1. Lose the final 13-2.

Regardless, I'll smoke what he's smoking.

I stand corrected

Love the optimism and don't disagree with the idea that we have the potential to make that sort of run. However, it's worth noting that our run this year (which is the case any time a team other than Alabama is really good out of nowhere) has something to do with other ACC teams really struggling. How we do going forward probably has something to do with how everyone else does. A healthy BC, for example, would at least be a much tougher matchup. So it will be interesting to see what happens.

That's is in large part what I based the original post on, the fact that the schedule sets up more favorably than this years.

That's is in large part what I based the original post on, the fact that the schedule sets up more favorably than this years.

True -- I guess I was just trying to point out that sometimes that's tough to predict b/c BC would have potentially been much tougher had we played them earlier when they were healthier. Or FSU might (or might not) be much better in year 2 than the dumpster fire they were this year. Or Wake's young QB makes some significant strides.

I'm not disagreeing with your post or the idea that we could potentially make a pretty good run at a really impressive season. I just mean sometimes it's tough to really know how good the schedule is until you get into it next fall. No one looked at SU on their schedule last winter and said 'that's going to be a tough game against a team that could win 9'. I follow ND closely and that was a good but flawed team with Wimbush through the first three weeks or so. Then they made the move to Book and now I wouldn't be shocked (it would be an upset, but not completely stunning) if they sneak past clemson.

I think your logic is pretty solid but I guess I was just saying that football is tough. You could theoretically be a much more dangerous offensive team but still end up somewhere in the 9 win area or so. Hard to say.

But again, I agree, 10+ wins is a possibility.

To be frank, my assessment that we will improve a lot next year is partially based on my belief that Tommy DeVito is genuinely the superior quarterback to Eric Dungey when it comes right down to it. I am not saying Tommy should have started this year. I am saying that I believe he will be better next year than Eric was this year, as we will be comparing both in year 3 of this system and I truly believe Tommy is the superior QB talent and scheme wise. If that's true, it would stand to reason that his year 3 would eclipse Dungey's year 3. If Tommy is able to do that, the team will be an unprecedentedly dangerous threat to Clemson's run of dominance. Because we will improve everywhere else, except for possibly on O-Line, but I even expect that we will improve there.

This is true. But it’s going to take FSU, Louisville time to regroup. We can mitigate that by recruiting better and by having an entrenched coach/system/philosophy. Wake and NC State will be frisky - but have some issues (QB for NC State, OL for Wake). BC is hamstrung by their HC/philosophy and will be replacing their OC, OL/DL.

Pitt is interesting in that I have no idea how they did what they did this year and have an even worse idea of how replicable it is.

Clemson is the challenge.

Out of Conference next year I expect 4 wins. The only one that is P5 is Maryland and with a new HC and systems, it will take them some time. Bowl game should be a minimum expectation next year but I expect more than just making it to a bowl. Things are lining up for Syracuse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom