Next Year Staff Changes. Big's Coach? | Syracusefan.com

Next Year Staff Changes. Big's Coach?

Red2003

Scout Team
One question that I haven't seen asked or talked about much is if Autry will have the guts to drop a staff member and bring in a coach for the front court and bigs? It's one thing to say thanks and good bye to Hima or Carey or Taylor or all the above but it's pretty clear that we need more help coaching at the 4 and 5. Brown is Brown, Freeman is a beast but raw, McLeod is a giant but missing the fundamentals of a 5.

I also have to question Autry saying in the presser that he was surprised Carey got hurt, so he's saying the rest of the staff no one had the sense to tell Autry 1 of 8 of his last scholarship players was hurt, that's garbage.

Autry will get his 3 years to make the tourney, but does he have the guts to take a hard look at his staff. Autry and GMac have the back court, but who is coaching the bigs and should they be back next year?

Would be fine seeing Griff go

Funny, have no vision at all. Many of you supported the previous administrations crap show for decades. It’s the first year let the man recruit get some talent.. I don’t know if you’ve been paying attention. We finally have some NBA talent on the way

Funny, have no vision at all. Many of you supported the previous administrations crap show for decades. It’s the first year let the man recruit get some talent.. I don’t know if you’ve been paying attention. We finally have some NBA talent on the way
That talent is coming because of Straughn and Weitsman who secured NIL for Moore

The old staff is essentially the same as the new staff.

Not sure why this keeps deleting when it’s true.

This type of talk would make folks like you feel good for about 5 minutes. It’s fan talk.

Think about it. Red is trying to establish program norms and expectations. To make change as you propose runs counter to that objective. Red’s got plenty on his plate as is. A staff change or changes would only add to that.

I’ll ask you to enlighten us: How has Griff been negligent and sub-par? And who is coming in? What do you have for us/Red?

One question that I haven't seen asked or talked about much is if Autry will have the guts to drop a staff member and bring in a coach for the front court and bigs? It's one thing to say thanks and good bye to Hima or Carey or Taylor or all the above but it's pretty clear that we need more help coaching at the 4 and 5. Brown is Brown, Freeman is a beast but raw, McLeod is a giant but missing the fundamentals of a 5.

I also have to question Autry saying in the presser that he was surprised Carey got hurt, so he's saying the rest of the staff no one had the sense to tell Autry 1 of 8 of his last scholarship players was hurt, that's garbage.

Autry will get his 3 years to make the tourney, but does he have the guts to take a hard look at his staff. Autry and GMac have the back court, but who is coaching the bigs and should they be back next year?
Bigs.

So you didn’t think he is doing a good job with Brown, failed developing Jesse Edwards? I don’t know how strong a recruiter he is but he seems like a fine coach who’s had success developing players not just at Cuse but Dayton etc. Miller was taking him to Indiana from Dayton before Boeheim hired him here.

Why are we criticizing the coaching of bigs ?

You gotta have a certain amount of talent for the coaching to matter.

Brown appears to be very well coached. He just needs to expand his O a bit. In other aspects he plays as well as can be hoped. Remember he was at best a 3 star coming in and this is only his second year.

Jesse, when he was here, was coached extremely well and expanded his game from season to season.

Now, we can look at the others.

Macleod, truthfully, can do some things, but he appears to be a bit of a klutz. He can do a bit of rebounding and shot blocking, but little else.

Carey moves well, but has not shown any real BB skills.

Hima has limited talent. Can block a few and grab a few, but he is too slow to ever exceed mediocrity.

So all in all, we have found a few (Brown and Edwards) who the staff coached up nicely and we have a few who so far, to me at least, dont pass the talent test.

Now, if you want to criticize the staff for talent evaluation, that is one thing, but for coaching up what is here....nope.

IMO, this will be a big signal about how things will unfold after Red year 1.

He’s not firing Griff.
If someone leaves for another job, maybe we get a bigs coach. But, who would hire someone from our staff?

It’s going to be interesting to see where Brown plays next year. He and Freeman seem best suited for the PF role. I’m gonna plotz if Brown plays significant minutes at center again.

Are there any established big men coaches out there currently?

Or do we just tell DC to straighten these boys out?

Is The Helicopter still coaching?

Hopefully Red knows someone outside the Cuse family and goes that route.

That talent is coming because of Straughn and Weitsman who secured NIL for Moore
Some of the info that comes off of these boards is literally delusional. Red is doing better than expected, not as good as he thought, however, he is most def making his own stamp and getting more comfortable in his decisions as the days go by. He is going to do it the right way, he most certainly cares, however, I believe building the program to where we can be is his priority. Proud to be Orange

Last edited:
Are there any established big men coaches out there currently?

Or do we just tell DC to straighten these boys out?

Is The Helicopter still coaching?

Hopefully Red knows someone outside the Cuse family and goes that route.
If DC was a coach any forwards who didn't rebound and play defense wouldn't play.

Why are we criticizing the coaching of bigs ?

You gotta have a certain amount of talent for the coaching to matter.

Brown appears to be very well coached. He just needs to expand his O a bit. In other aspects he plays as well as can be hoped. Remember he was at best a 3 star coming in and this is only his second year.

Jesse, when he was here, was coached extremely well and expanded his game from season to season.

Now, we can look at the others.

Macleod, truthfully, can do some things, but he appears to be a bit of a klutz. He can do a bit of rebounding and shot blocking, but little else.

Carey moves well, but has not shown any real BB skills.

Hima has limited talent. Can block a few and grab a few, but he is too slow to ever exceed mediocrity.

So all in all, we have found a few (Brown and Edwards) who the staff coached up nicely and we have a few who so far, to me at least, dont pass the talent test.

Now, if you want to criticize the staff for talent evaluation, that is one thing, but for coaching up what is here...nope.
I think it’s difficult to credit coaches for “development.”

Didn’t Jesse get training from the Netherlands national team? He’s a player who came in with good hands/dexterity, fluidity, and some quicks. He developed through what appeared to be a natural progression, coupled with experience.

Brown is similar. He does what he did upon arrival, but now at a higher level. But he still also has the same technique/philosophy flaws, and those aren’t being corrected. I freak every time I see him help/hedging on a guy moving outward through/toward the 3pt line—going away from the basket—while his own man is moving behind him toward the basket. He counts on his quickness/length to get back, and usually prevents a pass directly to his man, but he’s then behind him and out of position for rebounding. And Hima did the exact same thing yesterday. It’s almost out of design, which is baffling and absolutely resulted in points and possessions against us this season.

None of the bigs is a particularly good rebounder. I won’t criticize Brown because he’s okay, given he’s a finesse 4 going against 5s. But the others—they all have ‘anti-rebound’ technique. Talent is a thing. That we don’t have. But technique is a thing and we don’t have that either. One of those two should be teachable.

The negative assessment of Bigs Coach comes from seeing all the little things we don’t do well—things other programs doodoo better. We aren’t even competent at the power positions. When players come in and demonstrate they are grounded in those aspects, we can’t credit our staff for that. When the are with us for a large sample size of games and demonstrate fundamental weakness and/or bizarre tendencies, that is on the staff.

We need better bigs more than we need a better big man coach. The only reason anyone here thinks Bernie was a good big man coach is he was coaching much more talented guys than we have now.
Some, sure. But I don’t remember us feeling that Brower and Harried were all that talented back in the day. But, when you mix in a Seikaly, Coleman, Owens, Ellis, et al… it does give the sense we had strength in that department.

Derrick Coleman as an assistant coach is laughable. Good grief. This board has lost all sense of reality after recent losses. The staff isn’t likely changing after year one with who we are involved with in 2025 on the trail.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom