Next Year Staff Changes. Big's Coach? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Next Year Staff Changes. Big's Coach?

The hand-wringing is interesting. I'll say it again: Autry did right by the sophomore class to bring them all back and give them a fair shake to impress him.

This off-season and next year will set the real expectations for him. More of this next year puts him close to tournament or bust in Year 3 which I think is fair.

Lot of fair points. I like to hear what people think on the coaches too. Can we at least agree it should not have been a surprise Carey was injured ?

Some, sure. But I don’t remember us feeling that Brower and Harried were all that talented back in the day. But, when you mix in a Seikaly, Coleman, Owens, Ellis, et al… it does give the sense we had strength in that department.
The TLS project phenomenon started with Baye Keita IMO and JB’s insistence on rim protection over anything else.

One question that I haven't seen asked or talked about much is if Autry will have the guts to drop a staff member and bring in a coach for the front court and bigs? It's one thing to say thanks and good bye to Hima or Carey or Taylor or all the above but it's pretty clear that we need more help coaching at the 4 and 5. Brown is Brown, Freeman is a beast but raw, McLeod is a giant but missing the fundamentals of a 5.

I also have to question Autry saying in the presser that he was surprised Carey got hurt, so he's saying the rest of the staff no one had the sense to tell Autry 1 of 8 of his last scholarship players was hurt, that's garbage.

Autry will get his 3 years to make the tourney, but does he have the guts to take a hard look at his staff. Autry and GMac have the back court, but who is coaching the bigs and should they be back next year?
Team needs a couple of bigs ready to play Dat 1. Brown and Freeman, ok How about a strong rebounding 5 so McLeod can be a reserve and either Carey or Patterson as our project for the future.

We need better bigs more than we need a better big man coach. The only reason anyone here thinks Bernie was a good big man coach is he was coaching much more talented guys than we have now.
Correct, we need a big man recruiter

Since the last staff had about 5 minutes notice since Edward’s left so late, we really don’t know who they would rate highly and be able to bring in from a big man stand point

Need to give at least one full offseason, probably two, to evaluate if this crew has a different take on big man talent than JB did the past 10 years

McCloud would be a solid #2 center, his rebound per min numbers are actually quite good. We just need a bonafide top 20 starter to go in front of him

Why people think you have to be a certain height to coach centers is laughable.
Pete Newell is considered by many the best big man coach ever.
Bernie Fine did a good job here.
Seems to me Jesse Edwards developed just fine.
The issue isn’t the coaching, it’s the raw material.

Bigs.
You’re not giving him any credit for developing Jesse? Or Brown? I guess we’ve just forgotten all about the work he’s done. The majority of people on here don’t even think we should have coaches assigned players by postions. It’s outdated.

He’s not firing Griff.
If someone leaves for another job, maybe we get a bigs coach. But, who would hire someone from our staff?

It’s going to be interesting to see where Brown plays next year. He and Freeman seem best suited for the PF role. I’m gonna plotz if Brown plays significant minutes at center again.
Because he has done so well as our center this year? Brown is a forward and that’s all he should never play center

You’re not giving him any credit for developing Jesse? Or Brown? I guess we’ve just forgotten all about the work he’s done. The majority of people on here don’t even think we should have coaches assigned players by postions. It’s outdated.
I don't know about any of that, I was just addressing the unfortunate apostrophe usage in the thread title.

Because he has done so well as our center this year? Brown is a forward and that’s all he should never play center
Do you think you’re disagreeing with me?

People better get used to not having a true center. It’s not going to happen. Red wants bigs who can defend on the perimeter and able to shoot. The days of a low post, back to the basket post man are over.
I’m less concerned with post-up offense than with defending in the paint/at the rim and rebounding.

People better get used to not having a true center. It’s not going to happen. Red wants bigs who can defend on the perimeter and able to shoot. The days of a low post, back to the basket post man are over.
Yeah. We have a guy who can give us 10-15 mins of that and protect the rim in Naheem.

Jr Malik will be stronger and is a modern big who can do everything. He’s playing 30-35 per night and nearly all will be at center next 2 years.

Last 2 of the 13 roster spots to Carey and Patterson that’s 4 guys for 1 position.

I think we go to the portal to try and find a second Brown but that guy will be more of a wing.

Serious question.

Who gets the credit for developing Jesse. Was it SU coaches or the camps and national teams he spent his summers with?

Yeah. We have a guy who can give us 10-15 mins of that and protect the rim in Naheem.

Jr Malik will be stronger and is a modern big who can do everything. He’s playing 30-35 per night and nearly all will be at center next 2 years.

Last 2 of the 13 roster spots to Carey and Patterson that’s 4 guys for 1 position.

I think we go to the portal to try and find a second Brown but that guy will be more of a wing.
What you need is DC type player, strong and quick enough to rebound and defend.
But also able to take his man outside and hit the outside shot, but quick enough to beat his man to the hoop if he gets to close.

What you need is DC type player, strong and quick enough to rebound and defend.
But also able to take his man outside and hit the outside shot, but quick enough to beat his man to the hoop if he gets to close.
While we’re finding that guy, we might as well just get a LeBron type player, maybe a Chris Paul type as well, and a JJ Reddick for good measure.

Shame on this program for not targeting these guys. They’re everywhere!
We used to be able to recruit those types of players, maybe not as good as DC but players who could do a lot of those things.
Freeman is a good start to getting back to those kind of players.
DC wasn't 240 when he got here about 220, but he was strong, and played with an attitude.

Lot of fair points. I like to hear what people think on the coaches too. Can we at least agree it should not have been a surprise Carey was injured ?
No.

Autry did not say he was surprised that Carey was injured. In fact, why would he be surprised? Unfortunately, Carey has been injured every year for some part of the past four years.

Autry said he only learned he was injured just before the game and did not know how long he would be out. There is no evidence in the record when Cary was injured or when he told the coaches he was injured. I would suspect if he is like any player, especially a player w/ a history of injuries, he may not have told the coaches until he had to. There is no evidence the assistant coaches conspired to not tell Autry the kid was injured.

And we need to change assistant coaches? Please just stop.

Which is fine, so long as you can actually recruit the players you want.

A new assistant coach is not the challenge Red needs to take on first. Get us great talent that isn’t coached well and then we can look at the coaches as 1b. If the coaches can’t recruit great talent that is issue 1a.

Does Jesse get a 6th year? Bring him back lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom