Next year's frontcourt | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Next year's frontcourt

I feel like 3 things are true.

Marek is the starting center.

Hughes starts at one forward.

Buddy starts at the 2.

I think what you are suggesting is logical.

But the third factor is how ready Quincy is. What if he is too good to keep out of the lineup? In which case, he supplants Hughes at forward, and now your last point might not hold true.

I think what you are suggesting is logical.

But the third factor is how ready Quincy is. What if he is too good to keep out of the lineup? In which case, he supplants Hughes at forward, and now your last point might not hold true.
I submit that Guerrier starting has everything to do with if Brissett as back, and very little to do with him as a player.

I submit that Guerrier starting has everything to do with if Brissett as back, and very little to do with him as a player.

Guerrier is 6-7 227 pounds. He may [probably?] start irrespective of what happens with Oshae.

Which will in turn have a cascade effect.

Will be an interesting puzzle to get the best 5 out there.

Reactions: 007
Seriously. Where is Brissett going? I see this narrative over and over. He wouldn't get drafted in the G League at this point because his deficiencies are too big to ignore.

Cuse Hoop In ‘19-‘20 is the year everyone is going to need to find a hobby.

Mine will be avoiding this board.

We are currently in Meltdown DefCon Level 3.

I expect reality to hit in around September and we will go to Meltdown DefCon Level 2.

After the 1st game it will be no joke, this place will be a disaster.

Even the chicken littles will look at people and go, ‘wow, what a chicken little.’

People who havnt posted in 20 years will be here to lose their collective shlit.

It’s going to be ugly.

This would be true in December if we're 9-1 and have a so-so performance in the ACC-Big Ten.

After the Carey experience, my expectations for Guerrier are pretty tempered. If he forces his way into the lineup then great. Though who knows, there's probably just as good of a shot that Brasswell makes a jump and him and QG battle to be the 1st forward off the bench. I'm really looking forward to the '20-'21 season, next year, not so much.

If OB comes back and Quincy arrives on campus - both those guys start or Quincy comes off and subs for OB and Hughes meaning Marek is full time 5? Has Q been officially cleared and what are the realistic expectations - will his numbers match Battle's? OB?

I know everyone is concerned about our guards and PT, but we seem to have too many forwards if everyone comes back and I cannot see any reason why any of our front court players would not come back (other than PC).
is there a question that Quincy may not arrive om campus?

The guys that I would (note: don't think the coaches agree) personally be comfortable penciling in for big minutes next year are Dolezaj and Hughes. Everyone else should be fighting for minutes IMO.

I’m of the opinion that if Oshae left we may be better off. His offensive stats are easily replaceable with how inefficient he is.
I don't know about that. We're a bad offensive team. We'd need a decent Delta between Brissett's inefficiency and the efficiency of whoever takes his minutes to get better.

I feel like 3 things are true.
Buddy starts at the 2.
Buddy would be much better off as the 6th or 7th man on a Syracuse team with any reasonable talent and depth. When more scouting reports key on him he will struggle. Until he can get off his own shot or at least be a threat to put it on the floor against tight pressure, we should not be forced to rely on him for starting minutes. It does both him and the team a disservice.

I don't know about that. We're a bad offensive team. We'd need a decent Delta between Brissett's inefficiency and the efficiency of whoever takes his minutes to get better.

Oshaes career effective field goal percentage is 43%.

FWIW Cooney's was 47, Battle 48, Gmac 49.

Oshae has the worst FG% in Syracuse history overall.

Keeping in mind this is including literally everyone that scored at least 1 point in the respective season:

Players that were less efficient than Brissett his freshman year:
Frank Howard
Geno Thorpe
Howard Washington

Players that were less efficient than Brissett his sophomore year:
Jalen Carey
Bourama Sidibe

He's scored on above average efficiency in 2 of the 10 months that he's played for us these past two years, and both of those months were in his freshman season. This year, he only came remotely close to average efficiency 1 of the 5 months.

He's a terrible scorer that happens to be willing to take a lot of (bad) shots.

Oshaes career effective field goal percentage is 43%.

FWIW Cooney's was 47, Battle 48, Gmac 49.

Oshae has the worst FG% in Syracuse history overall.
Right. But are we replacing him his production with a player of the Cooney/Battle/GMac caliber's production?

Keeping in mind this is including literally everyone that scored at least 1 point in the respective season:

Players that were less efficient than Brissett his freshman year:
Frank Howard
Geno Thorpe
Howard Washington

Players that were less efficient than Brissett his sophomore year:
Jalen Carey
Bourama Sidibe

He's scored on above average efficiency in 2 of the 10 months that he's played for us these past two years, and both of those months were in his freshman season. This year, he only came remotely close to average efficiency 1 of the 5 months.

He's a terrible scorer that happens to be willing to take a lot of (bad) shots.
You're not wrong.

But why does he play so many minutes?

You're not wrong.

But why does he play so many minutes?

I've given that question a lot of thought the past two years and I don't have a good answer.

It was one thing when he, Battle, and Howard were basically the only players willing to shoot the ball his freshman year, but Hughes and Buddy both stepped into pretty large roles as far as shooting goes this season and yet we continued to rely on Brissett's poor play far more than logic would suggest you should.

Maybe the answer is that Boeheim played him for his rebounding. I don't know. But if he's going to play as a rebounder, he should be filling the Tyler Roberson role at this point (barring a huge improvement next season); rebounding the ball, running in transition, and mostly staying out of the way in the halfcourt offense.

Cuse Hoop In ‘19-‘20 is the year everyone is going to need to find a hobby.

Mine will be avoiding this board.

We are currently in Meltdown DefCon Level 3.

I expect reality to hit in around September and we will go to Meltdown DefCon Level 2.

After the 1st game it will be no joke, this place will be a disaster.

Even the chicken littles will look at people and go, ‘wow, what a chicken little.’

People who havnt posted in 20 years will be here to lose their collective shlit.

It’s going to be ugly.
This is very funny. But total hyperbole. There are a ton of question marks about next year’s team, but we don’t know how they will be answered. There’s some intriguing possibilities, and some scary possibilities. It’s imperative that the players work extremely hard in the off-season to improve their games, their skill sets, and their bodies. I want to see all of them stay on campus most of the summer and spend time playing together. The coaches also need to work harder than ever to get the guys ready physically and mentally for next season.

C - Marek (Sidebe backup/JBA)
F - OB (Quincy/Marek/Braswell)
F - Hughes (Quincy)
G - Buddy (Goodine/JGIII)
G - Jalen or JGIII (HW)

No, JB isn’t going to play 12. We’ll have the skinniest front court in the country.
That's a team that won't make the NCAA tournament.

About Quincy making it to campus? I haven to heard that there’s any question.
Thought I had read on here he was supposed to have graduated early and start classes. Was that Guerrier or another player?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom