Next year's frontcourt | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Next year's frontcourt

For all of this talk about the frontcourt, I'm of the mindset that the the upside of next year's team will almost entirely be driven by how well we "solve" the mystery of who's going to play point guard.

We've got experienced options at the 2, 3, 4, and even the 5 -- its just a matter of figuring out how those puzzle pieces fit together in the most complimentary way. But we've got nothing but question marks* at the 1.

*Please note, I'm not suggesting that the guys we'll have next year won't be able to get the job done. Of the four players who might fill the void, it will be interesting to see how it all shakes out. But there seems to be a lot more uncertainty here than debating [for example] whether Buddy or Hughes starts at 2, Dolezaj or Sidibe starts at 5, etc.

Thought I had read on here he was supposed to have graduated early and start classes. Was that Guerrier or another player?

Guerrier was planning on enrolling for the Spring semester but didn't have the required credits in time, or something like that. He should be able to enroll in Summer/Fall without any issue.

Depends on a couple of items.
  • Does Sidibe bounce back, spend the offseason getting his legs back to where they need to be, or is his bounce gone?
  • Does Buddy automatically start at 2 next year, or might he continue to come off of the bench if Hughes were to shift to 2?
  • How "ready" is QG to contribute at a high level right away?

IMO, those three unknowns will determine how the rest of the lineup shakes out everywhere but PG.
I would add: how good are JG3 and goodine? thats a lot of 2 guard talent, especially if you potentially include hughes there...what kind of competition for playing time at the 2 will transpire?

I’m of the opinion that if Oshae left we may be better off. His offensive stats are easily replaceable with how inefficient he is.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing (I get the argument, though), but we'll find out soon. It's my understanding that he's outta here.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing (I get the argument, though), but we'll find out soon. It's my understanding that he's outta here.
Curious - does he think he is going to get drafted? Or is he just leaving to play overseas?

Curious - does he think he is going to get drafted? Or is he just leaving to play overseas?

I'm really not sure, but he's going to try to get drafted. Can't imagine that'd happen, though.

This is very funny. But total hyperbole. There are a ton of question marks about next year’s team, but we don’t know how they will be answered. There’s some intriguing possibilities, and some scary possibilities. It’s imperative that the players work extremely hard in the off-season to improve their games, their skill sets, and their bodies. I want to see all of them stay on campus most of the summer and spend time playing together. The coaches also need to work harder than ever to get the guys ready physically and mentally for next season.
Thanks.

But I’m right.

Hope the gap between Marek, Sidibe and JBA is far more competitive than people realize.

Everyone has an opinion

0d7.jpg

I’m of the opinion that if Oshae left we may be better off. His offensive stats are easily replaceable with how inefficient he is.

I’m very much OK with a Hughes, Marek, Guerrier forward rotation.

My concern is if Dolezaj has to log even heavier minutes at center than this year and be part of the the forward rotation.

I’d feel much better about no Brissett if Center was all set and Marek could just be the forward that he is.

I have to think that JB keeps Hughes at the 3 to make room for Buddy. Hughes is the prototype 2. Big long range shooter. Hes bigger Quicker and even has a better handle than Buddy and much better on D. Zero question he should start at the 2 with Buddy backing him up.
At the point its wide open. JG3 might end up starting by tournament time. With him and Hughes or Buddy out front spacing for our forwards is going to be wide open. I like the Canadians at the 3 and 4. Both can get to the hoop and the frosh is going to be special. If SID can walk stick him in the middle and play Marek between the 4 and 5 off the bench. Not sure how JC fits in. Im sure he will start but if doesn't develop a shot he will be replaced by one of the Frosh.
Washington should transfer. As to JAB and Brass. Who knows. The kid from SC is long and can jump out of the gym. Italy should be good for him. JAB is intriguing as well. Cant teach 6'11 and he does have a nice shot. Plus he is 5 more fouls in the middle. Land the kid from the and that gives us another 5 fouls to work.Kind of like a Chinese Army. Not real skilled but dam they just keep coming.
It should be an interesting season.

Oshaes career effective field goal percentage is 43%.

FWIW Cooney's was 47, Battle 48, Gmac 49.

Oshae has the worst FG% in Syracuse history overall.

Isn't it likely that a big part of his inefficiency is (i) we play offense 4 on 5 because we have no threat/production at center and (ii) we don't have a guard setting up scoring opportunities for him and others instead most of his offense comes off of one on one attempts to take his man or deep jump shots, neither of which he has been great at.

If you improve one or both situations, I suspect you'll see a decrease in his low percentage shot attempts, unless being forced to force shots over his first two years has imprinted on his brain as being a good idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom