Next years rankings | Syracusefan.com

Next years rankings

I've ripped NBAdraft.net as being trash, so take it with a HUGE grain of salt, but Battle isn't even second round according to them.

Doubt Parrish knows/heard Tyus is coming back. Seems he'll at least test the waters without hiring an agent, and get a proper evaluation from NBA itself rather than trusting these 'gurus'. But if Tyus does come back, we're top 15 at least. With everyone returning with more experience, health, etc. from a Sweet 16 team and with the additions of Hughes, Carey and BB that's a top 10 team. Think BB will play and surprise people - especially come March. Next year's O has awesome potential on paper. And the already solid D will only improve also. If Battle comes back, Carey may be right with his comment about Baz. Could be something special.

We had one team not in the top 25 that ended up #1

Could be wrong but thought the Arinze,Jackson,Rautins,Wes, team wasn't ranked to start.

*Correction- Looks like we were 25th in coaches' poll before the Lemoyne game. Obviously after the exhibition loss we started the regular season unranked

It amazes me how little respect our program get with battle we are a top 15 team.

Could be wrong but thought the Arinze,Jackson,Rautins,Wes, team wasn't ranked to start.

*Correction- Looks like we were 25th in coaches' poll before the Lemoyne game. Obviously after the exhibition loss we started the regular season unranked
Exhibition games don't count towards rankings.

I won’t let myself believe, but if he does come back, we should be higher than 26.

We still need a forward and a center. Then we would be higher than 26. If we got, let's say this Pitt decommit, Bryce Golden, a 6-8, 220 PF, that could be a very solid piece. And maybe you add a 5th year small forward who can shoot the 3, or another center, although if you got Golden, I think he's big enough to play both spots. Add 2 more pieces, and I could see a top 2o team. But we still need pieces.

It amazes me how little respect our program get with battle we are a top 15 team.

Only if everybody is healthy, and then it's just one injury away. There is literally zero depth up front still. We have 2 forwards and 2 centers on the entire roster right now. And a swingman.

Interesting about Battle. I’m actually starting to believe hes coming back.

He's a much better talent than 50th in the draft. On a better team, he could show a more balanced game, and not have to force it so much.

If Battle and Sid is healthy we are going to be a very tough out. Battle is such a great leader/hard worker that i can see him lighting it up. Frank Carey Hughes Buddy and much improved Chewy Marek will all take the pressure off and he could really soar.

I thought he was referring to 2003.

We still need a forward and a center. Then we would be higher than 26. If we got, let's say this Pitt decommit, Bryce Golden, a 6-8, 220 PF, that could be a very solid piece. And maybe you add a 5th year small forward who can shoot the 3, or another center, although if you got Golden, I think he's big enough to play both spots. Add 2 more pieces, and I could see a top 2o team. But we still need pieces.

I agree adding golden would be helpful. But if you assume he and battle are here (big assumptions - I doubt that happens) that’s a lot of guys and more than boeheim is ever going to play. Howard/battle/Carey are your three guard rotation, with buddy as the occasional fourth. Brissett/dolejaz/Hughes are your forwards, with golden as the emergency fourth. Chukwu/sidibe is your center tandem, with golden or dolezaj as the emergency five. Even that’s already nine guys.

Being completely honest, i can’t name 5 teams I’m worried about if Tyus comes back as well.

Duke, UNC, ...? Maybe Michigan if we draw them in the non conf?

I thought he was referring to 2003.

He was...I was just adding another team that I thought ended up being pretty good after starting the year unranked. Whether they started the year unranked or not though is up to interpretation as I pointed out above...preseason ranking has them at 25, but officially started the regular season unranked so could be argued either way.

We need to show we can score the ball consistently.
Of course they do. If not how do pre-season rankings mean anything? Rankings are purely subjective.

I agree adding golden would be helpful. But if you assume he and battle are here (big assumptions - I doubt that happens) that’s a lot of guys and more than boeheim is ever going to play. Howard/battle/Carey are your three guard rotation, with buddy as the occasional fourth. Brissett/dolejaz/Hughes are your forwards, with golden as the emergency fourth. Chukwu/sidibe is your center tandem, with golden or dolezaj as the emergency five. Even that’s already nine guys.

Walt, if the last few years have taught us anything, it's that if Boeheim insists on only playing 7 or 8 guys, most of them for 36+ minutes a night from October to April, a couple of them are going to break down. That's just a fact.

If we look back historically, Boeheim used to play more guys deeper into his bench, at least until around January or so, when he would settle on his rotation for conference play.

This had 2 great benefits - (1) if somebody did get hurt, he had a player who had seen at least 5-10 minutes a game for a dozen games or so to slot into the rotation, not a guy who hasn't played all year; and (2) it builds continuity from season to season and leaves you with more experienced guys to serve as the foundation for next year's team.

Sweet 16 team bringing all 5 starters back, and adding a couple talented players...yeah, in this day and age I’d say that’s a pretty safe bet to be a top 25 team.

If Battle comes back, with Oshae coming back, and we add who we are adding, 26 is a joke. That's a top 20 team at worst, and IMO, top 15 with potential for more.