Next years rankings | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Next years rankings

He's a much better talent than 50th in the draft. On a better team, he could show a more balanced game, and not have to force it so much.

Battle needs to figure out if it is more valuable to start on a team next year where he DOESNT need to carry so much of the burden, and as such, can show off his passing game, and show growth in shot selection, or if he is worried a 3-4 ppg or so drop will hurt him.

It seems like every time we are looking at a kid staring down the face of a 2nd round draft pick (47 is low...but I think mid 30's is right), where it screams come back, they go, so I suspect he will.

Walt, if the last few years have taught us anything, it's that if Boeheim insists on only playing 7 or 8 guys, most of them for 36+ minutes a night from October to April, a couple of them are going to break down. That's just a fact.

If we look back historically, Boeheim used to play more guys deeper into his bench, at least until around January or so, when he would settle on his rotation for conference play.

This had 2 great benefits - (1) if somebody did get hurt, he had a player who had seen at least 5-10 minutes a game for a dozen games or so to slot into the rotation, not a guy who hasn't played all year; and (2) it builds continuity from season to season and leaves you with more experienced guys to serve as the foundation for next year's team.

Except the guys who did get hurt this year were the guys playing 10 minutes a game...(Moyer/Sid/HoWo)

I've ripped NBAdraft.net as being trash, so take it with a HUGE grain of salt, but Battle isn't even second round according to them.

It is pretty trash, I agree. Jonthan Givony from ESPN has him at 29. Not saying its a lock he leaves, or that Givony is totally right, but I think thats a much better indication of where Battle is considered.

Of course they do. If not how do pre-season rankings mean anything? Rankings are purely subjective.

Oh for sure. Just surprised to see another ‘next years ranking’ type post especially one not coming from a board newbie.

Walt, if the last few years have taught us anything, it's that if Boeheim insists on only playing 7 or 8 guys, most of them for 36+ minutes a night from October to April, a couple of them are going to break down. That's just a fact.

If we look back historically, Boeheim used to play more guys deeper into his bench, at least until around January or so, when he would settle on his rotation for conference play.

This had 2 great benefits - (1) if somebody did get hurt, he had a player who had seen at least 5-10 minutes a game for a dozen games or so to slot into the rotation, not a guy who hasn't played all year; and (2) it builds continuity from season to season and leaves you with more experienced guys to serve as the foundation for next year's team.

I don't necessarily disagree with you as a prescriptive matter - I wish Boeheim would go a little deeper in the bench, or at a minimum not insist on playing his top 3 guys 118 minutes a game.

But as a descriptive matter, that's what he's going to do. So I'm still not convinced adding a 10th or 11th guy to next year's team makes much of a difference.

I do agree that it would be good to have some buffer in the case of emergency. But I don't think numbers per se is the problem - it's the lack of high-end players. And I don't think you're getting any of those at this point in the cycle.

Just as a historical matter, I understand the intuition behind what you're saying about guys breaking down. But SU has done better in the NCAA tournament over the last several years than at any point in its history. So I'm not sure there's any real correlation between playing the guys and wearing down. (I mean, Battle, Brissett, and Howard played basically all of the minutes last year and seemed fine.)

Oh for sure. Just surprised to see another ‘next years ranking’ type post especially one not coming from a board newbie.

It was a new article by a national writer that not only had an early ranking but also thinks battle is back. Not that difficult to see the reason for the linking of the article.