Next year's roster | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Next year's roster

How many of the 13 scholarship players will be on the roster October 15?

Votes: 21 22.8%

Votes: 33 35.9%

Votes: 28 30.4%
  • Other

Votes: 10 10.9%

• Total voters
With all we’ve just seen, I have a tough time believing JB starts a freshman over his Senior Son. Benny will not be “ready” for big minutes. Somehow.

We might have to just concede that and consider it JB’s retirement gift.
There is no comparison between Benny and Jimmy. Benny will play 25-30 minutes a game if not more.

I’ll take a 6’8, 215 lb 23 year old who averaged 17, 5, and 2 in his last season of college ball.

That’s a grown man that knows the college game who will be playing against plenty of skinny 18 year olds. Just don’t let him play center, please.
Plus there will be no problems with body language.

He put up pretty good numbers at Cornell. How that would translate here, I don't know. I do know that he dropped 25 on us.

Lots of mid-major dudes have gone for career highs against us.

It’s kinda our thing.

Losing woody would suck, but I would hate to see JBA go. He's the closest thing to a true pf in like a decade. Old school pf 6-9 long wingspan. Bet he has a taller one than Roberson. Just needs another 10 muscle pounds to post up at 225, and to strengthen those rebounding hands. Quicker jump off the floor. Sliding left or right 3 feet to be quicker but he has a nice long stance, and a 3-8 foot soft touch.
I feel he could be a freak if he found all that. He will never hit 18ppg, but I could see 12+8.5 in 3 years. Sort of like Christmas, much smaller but more mobile. The problem is we were thinking Keita's offense and 5 on D. We get smaller guys forced into positions too tall for them, and taller guys without the handle,shot, or rim attack. Would be nice to have a PF with the right size, strength, and frame to work off of.

Last edited:
I agree with the Bras = Southy comp.

Also agree that Woody seemed to have more upside, and a better all-around game.
To me, he was giving me some serious Frosh CJ Fair vibes, where he played better than expected sooner than expected.

But then he ended up on a milk carton. :confused:

Unless we lose like ALL of our Forwards after this year for whatever reason(s), I really hope Jimmy does NOT transfer here.
He’s a solid mid-major type talent, but like his brother not a plus athlete or defender.
And we already have too many minus defenders getting minutes on the wings and top of the zone.

We need 3 Forwards, minimum.

Benny, Bras (assuming other guys leave, so he stays) and whichever other Forward doesn’t go, would be a nice rotation.
No matter if the 3rd Forward is is ANY of:
Marek, Candyman, Griff, or Woody.
While I’ve enjoyed Braswell’s growing impact, he is nowhere near Southerland. JS was a far better shooter, bigger and better defensively. He had a big role for much better teams. Braswell can play a similar role for these much weaker teams, but I don’t think he’s currently close to where JS was as a junior.

No matter how all the other variables shake out, the one that intrigues me is the possibility of Marek coming back. Almost seems 50-50, ya know?

I can't imagine JB discouraging him from returning if he shows an interest, given how much JB has praised his role on the team.

Marek knows he needs more 'development' (mostly = lbs. + his 3-pt shot) to become a hot commodity in The League & he knows he's gonna get every opportunity to develop at a place where he's treasured.

Next year he'd figure to really play the power forward position instead of center, with Jesse & Frank finally having gotten the experience they need to become effective centers.

It would give us 3 'distributors' on the court between Marek, Benny, and Kadary plus Buddy and whoever, possibly giving us a truly elite offense to throw at opponents.

And the defense--so dependent upon experience as it is--would also also likely be formidable for opponents to contend with.

Still, I suppose he might hear from some European clubs that wanna throw some significant money at him to continue with his development, so who knows?

Having said all that, I suppose one reason JB might advise Marek to move on would be if Jim Jr. is coming onto the roster, eh?

There is no comparison between Benny and Jimmy. Benny will play 25-30 minutes a game if not more.

vector-silhouette-dad-his-boys-450w-162634559.jpg

No matter how all the other variables shake out, the one that intrigues me is the possibility of Marek coming back. Almost seems 50-50, ya know?

I can't imagine JB discouraging him from returning if he shows an interest, given how much JB has praised his role on the team.

Marek knows he needs more 'development' (mostly = lbs. + his 3-pt shot) to become a hot commodity in The League & he knows he's gonna get every opportunity to develop at a place where he's treasured.

Next year he'd figure to really play the power forward position instead of center, with Jesse & Frank finally having gotten the experience they need to become effective centers.

It would give us 3 'distributors' on the court between Marek, Benny, and Kadary plus Buddy and whoever, possibly giving us a truly elite offense to throw at opponents.

And the defense--so dependent upon experience as it is--would also also likely be formidable for opponents to contend with.

Still, I suppose he might hear from some European clubs that wanna throw some significant money at him to continue with his development, so who knows?

Having said all that, I suppose one reason JB might advise Marek to move on would be if Jim Jr. is coming onto the roster, eh?
I think Marek is a wash in what he brings. Good passing is offset by bad rebounding. Won’t ever be a force scoring but knows the zone well enough to be a plus defender. Steady is good but I’m ready to see a team without him

Marek a hot commodity in the league? He needs a lot more than development.

No way JB wants Marek to move on, guy is our MVP this year and will only get better. I’d be willing to bet JB does whatever he can to get him back next season.

JB said big changes were coming for next year bringing in Jimmy ,Marek going to Europe, Woody leaving would be a normal amount of changes “ there must be more” to be considered BIG changes.

JB said big changes were coming for next year bringing in Jimmy ,Marek going to Europe, Woody leaving would be a normal amount of changes “ there must be more” to be considered BIG changes.
This is what JB said on his last radio show as reported by SWC, who is a most reliable reporter:

"On where we will get our big men- or any men: “This is going to be the most dramatic changing of the guard season in history. You could have multiple guys leave from every program. I think Bourama can be healthy. I think he’s has already made his decision. He’s indicated he will come back if he can. We are doing research and treatments on his leg.” (So the issue with him is not getting paid or going to another school- he’s not sure he can play anymore.) Quincy could declare for the draft. Alan could try out for the pros. Guys who aren’t playing a lot could decide to go elsewhere. Everything is in flux.” I suggested it will be like having a poker hand and changing cards. Matt said that coach is “an old hand at poker”. (I hear he’s a regular at Turning Stone, so he might be good at this.) “Marek at first said that he’s not coming back. I haven’t talked to him about it but that could change. I think he’s thinking about it. They would not count against our scholarship limit” (So we could have 15 recruited players on next year’s roster?)"

I do not interpret what he said the same way you do. It appears that he thinks both seniors are considering coming back and that both starting forwards may "test the waters". No mention was made of his #1 son. Nor did the names of the bench players come up.

The main point he made is "This is going to be the most dramatic changing of the guard season in history. You could have multiple guys leave from every program." (Emphasis added.)

I assume you mean the Slovakian Basketball League because Marek would need to buy tickets to be at an NBA game.

I assume you mean the Slovakian Basketball League because Marek would need to buy tickets to be at an NBA game.

He should really join the souvlakian league so he can add some pounds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom