Next year's starting 4: CMcC or Roberson? | Syracusefan.com

Next year's starting 4: CMcC or Roberson?

Shark58

BANNED
discuss

mjpopcornbitchplsjpg.gif

You know what we COULD see next year, based on the comments made by the PBP team during tonight's game?

Roberson at the 4, McC at the 5. Wouldn't shock me at all, especially if we don't get Bryant.

jekelish said:
You know what we COULD see next year, based on the comments made by the PBP team during tonight's game? Roberson at the 4, McC at the 5. Wouldn't shock me at all, especially if we don't get Bryant.

I suppose. But that doesn't give me a warm feeling.

McCollough will start with Tyler as the 6th man. I also wouldn't discount both starting at forward with MG as the 6th man...

This , I could possibly see a Joseph Cooney Cmac Roberson Dc2 line up with G coming off the bench real quick and obviously still logging starter minutes

Remind me again who we have next year? I don't follow recruiting too much and the threads on the recruiting board are rather long.

Richardson- is he a 2G?

Howard- another G?

Diagne- center?

Anyone else? What are the rankings of each? Much appreciated.

McCollough will start with Tyler as the 6th man. I also wouldn't discount both starting at forward with MG as the 6th man...

I could actually see this going the other way around. I could imagine giving McCollough some time to get back into shape by coming off the bench but having him be our best player by the end of the season.

This , I could possibly see a Joseph Cooney Cmac Roberson Dc2 line up with G coming off the bench real quick and obviously still logging starter minutes

Jimmy B made it clear several times he didnt want Chris and Roberson in at the same time. It was the reason he gave for not going with G and Cooney up top, which would obviously have been our best lineup this year. By a mile.

Jimmy B made it clear several times he didnt want Chris and Roberson in at the same time. It was the reason he gave for not going with G and Cooney up top, which would obviously have been our best lineup this year. By a mile.

That quote likely came before Roberson became what he currently is. I think Roberson right now is better than Chris when he went out. I think Chris can improve a ton of course, but it would be hard to leave Roberson's rebounds on the bench. It's an interesting dilemma, but Chris will have to put on a ton of weight if we are going to see him at the 5 next year. But I like the idea of Chris and Roberson on the wings, whoever we have as the center, and G and Cooney up top. That lineup does NOT work against teams with guards who can pressure the ball, but against a team like UNC last night, I like our chances.

Yep. Exactly. I would bet MG as the 6th man, but only because he can come in for 4 different players.

Remind me again who we have next year? I don't follow recruiting too much and the threads on the recruiting board are rather long.

Richardson- is he a 2G?

Howard- another G?

Diagne- center?

Howard - 1/2, ranked 91st by ESPN...6-6, reminds me a little of MCW
Richardson - 2/3, ranked 19th by ESPN...6-6, good shooter, potential McDs AA
Tyler Lydon - 3/4, ranked 64th by ESPN...6-8, skinny, athletic, good shooter, needs to add muscle
Moustapha Diagne - 4/5, ranked 55th by ESPN...6-8, physically developed, shot blocker, developing offense

I think CM will be hitting A LOT of jumpers next year. That is all he is going to be able to work on for the next 6 months.

And Roberson will only get better with the 15 footers.

Richardson- is he a 2G?

Howard- another G?

Diagne- center?

Richardson is a 2G with enough size to play the SF but he's more of a guard than a forward. 19th

Howard is a combo guard learning to be a PG. 91st

Diange is a center but perhaps could play the wing like Rick did here. Certainly has better lateral movement than Rick did as an underclassmen. 55th

Lydon is a stretch 4 who plays hard and has a nice frame but is very slight as of now. He can really shoot it and is more athletic than he's generally given credit for. 64th

Bryant is a center although one with good ball skills and a very good high post game. 22nd

Rankings are ESPN's most recent. Diange has taken on some good competition lately and played great yet somehow fallen in the rankings. IMO Richardson and Diange are pretty under ranked by ESPN. Howard's rank has suffered due to coming off of an ACL and transitioning to PG.

I think CM will be hitting A LOT of jumpers next year. That is all he is going to be able to work on for the next 6 months.

And Roberson will only get better with the 15 footers.

Think JB will allow either one to shoot from beyond the arc?

That quote likely came before Roberson became what he currently is. I think Roberson right now is better than Chris when he went out. I think Chris can improve a ton of course, but it would be hard to leave Roberson's rebounds on the bench. It's an interesting dilemma, but Chris will have to put on a ton of weight if we are going to see him at the 5 next year. But I like the idea of Chris and Roberson on the wings, whoever we have as the center, and G and Cooney up top. That lineup does NOT work against teams with guards who can pressure the ball, but against a team like UNC last night, I like our chances.

I disagree, kind of. G has plenty of handle to play PG. He is also our best passer. Its not close.

But overall, i have been pushing for Chris and Roberson at the forwards all season long pre-injury. That team would rebound like men.
(Chris is a way better rebounder than people give credit for.)

I disagree, kind of. G has plenty of handle to play PG. He is also our best passer. Its not close.

But overall, i have been pushing for Chris and Roberson at the forwards all season long pre-injury. That team would rebound like men.

I'm thinking against teams like Louisville, G will need more help than just Cooney. That's all.

People knocked Chris's rebounding because he got banged around and lost some but he still put up great rebounding numbers. Its just false to say he wasn't a good rebounder. I agree with Rak and Tyler they would have cleaned the glass well. I'm not sold on Tyler and Chris working well offensively as the forwards because they seem to work out of the same area's. Next year with improvements from both though could be a different story.

It's a great question posted by the OP and a heck of a dilemma. I'm skeptical that the two of them can co-exist together at both forward spots, neither has really demonstrated SF skills, running a pair of 4's out there along with a center could really stymie the offense. I could see it being used for short stints but not as the primary lineup. I also can't see G returning to the bench after a year as a starter and having been so key to this year's team. IMHO, my guess is that McCullough, with a lost year of development, comes off the bench or as previously mentioned, mans center as a starter at least (especially if the team doesn't get Bryant). The center spot will be very unproven, with the other candidates being a freshman (Diagne), Chino (no way), or Coleman (shaky health, and nothing proven on the court in his 2 1/2 years at SU thus far); and McCullough had gotten some time there prior to his injury.

Generally speaking, there could be a lot of nice pieces to play with next year, but figuring out how to use them will be tricky; I'm a little nervous that they might not fit all that well together.

I'm not convinced that McCullough won't declare for the draft in a couple months. (And, no, I'm not advocating that.)

If he returns, I'd rather see Roberson start unless McCullough is doing some Carmelo Anthony or Wes Johnson things during October practices. He's a much better basketball player right now.

TR's natural position is the 4, so I hope he can stay there - whether starting or off the bench

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom