Next year's starting five scenarios | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Next year's starting five scenarios

Has Rak beaten up somebody I don't know about? Has Rak been driving back to Philly(Niagra) every 3rd day and I didn't hear about it?
There's been plenty of discussion about Rak leaving. I don't think he will. It was "worst case scenario". There's no guarantee he will be back.

OrangeCrush22 said:
My prediction... (Grant leaves) Ennis Cooney Roberson McCullough Christmas

This is what I see.

I really can't see how Ennis goes pro. Really inconsistent outside shot and those drives to the rim will be much tougher in the NBA. Right now he's a 20 year old Jeremy Lin (who remember was great for 30 games or so too with the Knicks). Grant will be D League within 2 months if he goes.

Best case scenario:
Ennis
Cooney
Grant
McCullough
Rak

Worst case scenario:
Kaleb Joseph
Cooney
Gbinje
Roberson
Obokoh

Lot's of scenarios in between. Discuss...

Best case has Gbinije as starting 2 guard. He was the only one that played with any urgency tonight. Had some nice passes and drives.

Cooney is a sixth man at this point. When he plays like he did at Notre Dame, give him minutes; when he misses rim, the bench for him. Gbinije as the starting 2 and Cooney off the bench would have been the way to go this year.

Best case has Gbinije as starting 2 guard. He was the only one that played with any urgency tonight. Had some nice passes and drives.

Cooney is a sixth man at this point. When he plays like he did at Notre Dame, give him minutes; when he misses rim, the bench for him. Gbinije as the starting 2 and Cooney off the bench would have been the way to go this year.
I would agree with that if Gbinije can improve his 3 point shooting over the summer. Need to at least have the threat of an outside shot.

OrlandoCuse said:
I would agree with that if Gbinije can improve his 3 point shooting over the summer. Need to at least have the threat of an outside shot.
Compared to what?

Yup this is what you do with one dimensional shooters. It's not a bad roll to play, but one he should have been playing all year - this team would have looked pretty different if he had been - as it stood the offense just relied way too much on Cooney being 'on'. In the absence of that someone else needed to have a huge game to get it done. Just look at the difference between Thursday and tonight and it explains the whole season.

Dear Cuse Gods,

Please, please, please scenario #1. Joesph off the bench would be spectacular too ... other than that this team will be NIT bound

The Dream Scenario:
PG: Ennis with solid backup from Joseph
SG: Cooney or Gbinije with solid backup from Patterson
SF: Grant with solid backup from Roberson and BJ
PF: McCullough with Roberson/Grant/Rak rotating as backup
C: Rak with a healthy DC2 and some good play from Obokoh

We pick up the tempo and start running again. A mix of awesome 2-3 zone with the press used to dictate tempo.

Grant isn't playing a lick next year in the NBA.

What does that have to do with him leaving or not?

Guys Grant and Ennis are projected to be lottery picks. If they get that sort of feedback in the next 3 weeks, you really think your little emotional evaluation of them is going to matter? They will leave. Rak is predicted to leave after every season. He is coming back. I'm not sure what happens to McCullough in the worst case scenario, I guess he is hit by a bus or doesn't qualify. In that case, the worst case is all walk ons and Jamie Dixon is the new coach after Boeheim and Hop are arrested for murdering Jimmy Hoffa.

What does that have to do with him leaving or not?

Guys Grant and Ennis are projected to be lottery picks. If they get that sort of feedback in the next 3 weeks, you really think your little emotional evaluation of them is going to matter? They will leave. Rak is predicted to leave after every season. He is coming back. I'm not sure what happens to McCullough in the worst case scenario, I guess he is hit by a bus or doesn't qualify. In that case, the worst case is all walk ons and Jamie Dixon is the new coach after Boeheim and Hop are arrested for murdering Jimmy Hoffa.
I think Grant and Ennis will probably project around picks 20 to 30 in a best case scenario for them. Both are lottery locks next season.

The Dream Scenario:
PG: Ennis with solid backup from Joseph
SG: Cooney or Gbinije with solid backup from Patterson
SF: Grant with solid backup from Roberson and BJ
PF: McCullough with Roberson/Grant/Rak rotating as backup
C: Rak with a healthy DC2 and some good play from Obokoh

We pick up the tempo and start running again. A mix of awesome 2-3 zone with the press used to dictate tempo.

I don't' see us picking up tempo as long as Ennis is the point guard. I don't think it's his game.

I don't' see us picking up tempo as long as Ennis is the point guard. I don't think it's his game.
It's one of the areas he needs to improve and a good reason for him to come back. Needs to improve his shot, his strength, his fast break and his ability to dictate the tempo of a game better.

HoustonCuse said:
What does that have to do with him leaving or not? Guys Grant and Ennis are projected to be lottery picks. If they get that sort of feedback in the next 3 weeks, you really think your little emotional evaluation of them is going to matter? They will leave. Rak is predicted to leave after every season. He is coming back. I'm not sure what happens to McCullough in the worst case scenario, I guess he is hit by a bus or doesn't qualify. In that case, the worst case is all walk ons and Jamie Dixon is the new coach after Boeheim and Hop are arrested for murdering Jimmy Hoffa.

My point is he'll be drinking in a bar with Fab Melo in the D league next year. He's not even good enough right now to get a seat on an NBA bench.

This was a tough loss after a season of extremes, started off on extreme highs then went to extreme lows. Personally, I was hoping this team would gel a little better, especially with all the talent we had (three potential NBA draft picks in this years draft) but, it is what it is and I had a great time and almost a few heart attacks rooting for this team. I am going to attribute a lot of the extreme pessimism on the board to the fact that the wound of the loss is so fresh. To provide some optimism, even if Ennis and Grant do leave which I am guessing they will as its hard to turn down that kind of money when it is staring you in the face. We still have some solid talent on the roster for next year. Kaleb Joseph will step in at PG just like Ennis did, im not a scout but if you watch his highlights he has good size and a calm demeanor. At SG someone will emerge or the combination of Gbinjie, Cooney and Patterson should suffice. Patterson can hit shots, has size and can play defense, I think he will surprise people next year. At SF Roberson will have another year under his belt and BJ Johnson was an ESPN 100 player out of high school and with another year in the system should contribute off the bench. At PF McCullough has the potential to be a star, hope he makes it here with no issues. At C we have the combo of RAK, Coleman (if healthy) and Obokoh. It is possible we can have a down year as everything goes in cycles whether its college sports, consumer trends or financial markets. Whatever happens ill be rooting like always. GO ORANGE!

My point is he'll be drinking in a bar with Fab Melo in the D league next year. He's not even good enough right now to get a seat on an NBA bench.

That's fine but it doesn't really relate to him staying or leaving, which is the true thing we care about. To me, the NBA is a black hole. I don't care about the NBA except for how it impacts our program's perception and thus recruiting. MCW doing great is wonderful because it helps our recruiting, otherwise, his NBA exploits are about as important as if he were working at Walmart.

Don't see Rak leaving.

Ennis needed a great tournament to leave. Didn't do it.
Grant needed to be par for the course to leave. Didn't do it.

Grant had to lose some interest. His ability is off the charts but he's so complacent and one dimensional. I barely remember him even playing tonight besides that jumpshot. He has the ability to be an absolute force.