next year's starting Frontcourt | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

next year's starting Frontcourt

I'm hoping that TT learns to play D at the wing. The letdown of him playing Center is that would mean he either is incapable of playing Forward in the zone or we again have no true Centers capable of playing a little bit of basketball. If he can't play Forward on D, his offensive production has to be sky high for him to be a net positive on the court. I'd rather have him be bad on the wing with a shot blocker at the rim than have him bad in the middle of the zone, allowing Centers to eat us alive. If neither Sidibe or Chukwu are ready to step up as the rim protectors we're hoping they are, then it's all moot cuz we're a 15 win team at that point, unfortunately.

I think TT is an actual Forward. It seems to be the more natural fit and that's what he'd be looking at playing in the NBA. If the Slovakian Wonder, Moyer, and Brissett are all productive players and TT learns to play passable defense in the middle, then okay, put him on the court with 2 of them and let them roll. I'm optimistic that one of those 3 will play really well, but not so optimistic that we'll get 2 of them to play well enough on offense to justify bumping TT to Center. For instance, if the 2nd Forward on the court with let's say TT and Moyer can't produce much better on offense than Sidibe (probably like 6-ish points), then I'd prefer the defensive advantage (we hope) of Sidibe at the rim over a few extra points from a wing.

I say all of this with the expectation that JB will probably be playing TT at Center, I'm just really really not looking forward to it. Watching Lydon forced to play Center hurt my soul and I miss watching a tall dude ruin lives at the rim in the middle of our zone. I want to watch a real Center for a change, darnit!

You think its a net gain offensively to have Thompson at the 4? That means Chukwu or Sidibe is also playing.

After reading that I am guessing that our difference of opinion is more about our three forwards than it is Thompson. I am pretty high on Brissett, Solejaz and Moyer all being able to contribute offensively and being upgrades defensively on the wings from last year. I think they could easily eat up all 80 min a game at the forward spots and likely should.

I completely understand the concern of defense in the middle. Last season our wings were also bad on defense and we weren't that great out top. It was a mess all around. No matter what we won't be as small out top. I think our 3 forwards seem like the type that traditionally do well defining in our zone. Of course they have to learn it. Thompson was bad, he can get better. He likely will get better. How much better? :noidea:

It really stinks having one of your best offensive players be your worst defender.

Agreed. Its hard to tell how much was a product of committing and getting in late, poor over all defense around him and possibly spending the early season practice time he had on learning the wing. One thing that is not promising was the hands being down all to often and the matador D where he would try to block on the way by and pick up a cheap foul. That said he's a very valuable offensive piece. I'm sure both he and the staff know that his defense needs to be better. They will sort out the players, figure out where he's going to play and work with him on the defense.

The 2 forward spots will be interesting. I see MM and Brissett as the starters. With Dolezaj as the energy guy off the bench for either player.

I could see it going any which way between the three of them and we'd still be bringing s productive player off the bench.

You think its a net gain offensively to have Thompson at the 4? That means Chukwu or Sidibe is also playing.

After reading that I am guessing that our difference of opinion is more about our three forwards than it is Thompson. I am pretty high on Brissett, Solejaz and Moyer all being able to contribute offensively and being upgrades defensively on the wings from last year. I think they could easily eat up all 80 min a game at the forward spots and likely should.

I completely understand the concern of defense in the middle. Last season our wings were also bad on defense and we weren't that great out top. It was a mess all around. No matter what we won't be as small out top. I think our 3 forwards seem like the type that traditionally do well defining in our zone. Of course they have to learn it. Thompson was bad, he can get better. He likely will get better. How much better? :noidea:

I think TT could hurt us less at the 4 than the 5 on defense. I agree that it comes down to how much true depth we have at Forward. I'm not totally sold on Marek. I don't really know what to expect from him. I like Brissett's game but he's a frosh with no jumper so I'm tempering my expectations. Moyer at least has experience under his belt and has worked on his jumper, so I feel confident that he'll contribute.

I guess it just really comes down to the fact that I'm tired of seeing us patch holes at Center with Forwards. I've chalked a lot of our defensive woes up to a) playing SF's who are more like tall guards and b) not playing a true Center. I think we have the SF-guard thing fixed. If TT plays defense anywhere close to the way he did last season at the 5, we're in for a lot of hurt. If he doesn't, then we might be okay.

I think TT could hurt us less at the 4 than the 5 on defense. I agree that it comes down to how much true depth we have at Forward. I'm not totally sold on Marek. I don't really know what to expect from him. I like Brissett's game but he's a frosh with no jumper so I'm tempering my expectations. Moyer at least has experience under his belt and has worked on his jumper, so I feel confident that he'll contribute.

I guess it just really comes down to the fact that I'm tired of seeing us patch holes at Center with Forwards. I've chalked a lot of our defensive woes up to a) playing SF's who are more like tall guards and b) not playing a true Center. I think we have the SF-guard thing fixed. If TT plays defense anywhere close to the way he did last season at the 5, we're in for a lot of hurt. If he doesn't, then we might be okay.

Brissett's can shoot a bit. He's not Jerami Grant with no jumper and FWIW Marek is a 4 star recruit who would probably be ranked around 50-70 if he was in the US. I've been as down as anyone on our prospects for next year, but they are typical Syracuse wings.

The 2 forward spots will be interesting. I see MM and Brissett as the starters. With Dolezaj as the energy guy off the bench for either player.

Hard to say. MM has had an extra year in the system, so he should be more "ready" on paper to start. Brissett is an athletic wunderkind, but a lot like Jerami Grant at this stage of his developmental curve. I could see him rounding into form as a 3, but envision him more as a 4 this upcoming year. Dolezaj is a true three, but the least physically mature of the group.

Which we do!

I'm hopeful TT will actually be an avg defender this year and I've always thought the center slides in the zone were easier than the wing's

if TT becomes competent manning the zone middle, one of the other centers is going to be buried

from the limited tape I've seen, doesn't look like Sidibe has the feet to play outside either

I'm hopeful TT will actually be an avg defender this year and I've always thought the center slides in the zone were easier than the wing's

if TT becomes competent manning the zone middle, one of the other centers is going to be buried

from the limited tape I've seen, doesn't look like Sidibe has the feet to play outside either

Iommi has seen a lot of Sidibe and thinks he could play the wing for us. It's great if he can but I see him as TT's backup at the 5 this year. I'm not counting Sidibe out at the 4 later in his career but like TT if you have 3 wing forwards that are better, then your 4/5 guy is playing mostly 5.

RickJack played a ton of 4 for us, fairly successfully.
I'm sure a guy like Sidibe is no less agile than Rick was.

Last year JB had the wrong starting 5.
To be the most effective you start the following:

5: Thompson
4: Moyer
3: Brissett
2: Battle
1?? not sold on Howard. Hope we get Ayala. if not can Thorpe man the 1?

Last year JB had the wrong starting 5.
To be the most effective you start the following:

5: Thompson
4: Moyer
3: Brissett
2: Battle
1?? not sold on Howard. Hope we get Ayala. if not can Thorpe man the 1?

Ayala is not actually a PG, yet.
He will likely become a good one (maybe great, in time), but he's basically right out of the same mold as MCW, Kaleb and Frank Howard - combo guard.
IF we get him, he'll likely have a MCW-esque career arc (if we're lucky), and be good as a Frosh, great as a Soph.

Ideally we get Thorpe, since he's proven he can play PG at the D1 level successfully.
And imagine how much more effective he'll be, when he's actually got some talent around him, unlike his current program.

But I pretty much agree on 5-2.
Although it's really more like 4, 3.5, 3.5, 2, and :noidea:

Marek, Sidibe, & PC off the bench, along w/ FrankHowardWashington backing up the guard spots.

Swap Sidibe and Chukwu on that last line and I could see that.
You seem down on Chukwu. Staff isnt. He is much more likely to start than to be #3. If healthy he will get plenty of run. He dominated our practices last year and then popped his eye out. Game over

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom