NFL Hall of Fame Enshrinement Ceremony | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

NFL Hall of Fame Enshrinement Ceremony

Gave some story about a speech teacher as a freshman and he flubbed her name.

Ironic.

I don't watch many of these, but based on how he basically glossed over his time at SU (I thought McNabb might get a shout out), I wouldn't expect to see him back on the Hill anytime soon.

Marvin went just over 11 minutes. His longest speech ever.

I don't watch many of these, but based on how he basically glossed over his time at SU (I thought McNabb might get a shout out), I wouldn't expect to see him back on the Hill anytime soon.

I watch this every year. 99.9% of guys start from high school days thank every coach and a teacher or two. Then go to their college days and thank every coach and a teacher maybe. Then onto the NFL of course. Marvin gave one HS teacher a shout out. Told a 1 min story about 1 teacher at SU. Then onto the NFL. Yeah he ain't coming back here anytime soon and nor should SU bend over backwards to honor him honestly.

I'll defend Marvin to an extent

Per Bob Casullo, Marvin always looked at football as a business and he never felt a personal attachment to SU as it was a business decision

My only gripe would be no mention of Bob Casullo

Last edited:
Honestly, the guy is an introvert and probably didnt even enjoy being up there. Lets not be too harsh on marvin.

In my opinon he is the 2nd best WR to ever play the game, but call it what it is I'm not sure he is a good person. The introvert thing doesn't fly with me. He spoke for 11 min, it's what he decided to talk about. Not saying he needed to kiss SU's fanny or anything and he is within is right to spend the time just focusing on his NFL days, but more than a 45 second story about some teacher on campus would have been nice. At the very very least thank the person who recruited ya to college and maybe teammate or two from college...a little something.

In my opinon he is the 2nd best WR to ever play the game, but call it what it is I'm not sure he is a good person. The introvert thing doesn't fly with me. He spoke for 11 min, it's what he decided to talk about. Not saying he needed to kiss SU's fanny or anything and he is within is right to spend the time just focusing on his NFL days, but more than a 45 second story about some teacher on campus would have been nice. At the very very least thank the person who recruited ya to college and maybe teammate or two from college...a little something.

Maybe hes ashamed of our performances the past 15 years. Who knows, but i thought his speech was fine. Also, for anyone who has nerves regarding public speaking, you always ask to go first. You dont turn the nfl hof down but i highly doubt marvin was excited for the speech. He doesnt seem to like to talk about his feelings much. Get angry about it if you want but im just glad he played at cuse.

Maybe hes ashamed of our performances the past 15 years. Who knows, but i thought his speech was fine. Also, for anyone who has nerves regarding public speaking, you always ask to go first. You dont turn the nfl hof down but i highly doubt marvin was excited for the speech. He doesnt seem to like to talk about his feelings much. Get angry about it if you want but im just glad he played at cuse.
When he cane here, he came to make SU elite

I am sure it bothers him on some level

Would it have been nice for him to talk about SU more? Yeah. It doesn't bother me that he didn't. He was misused. The best player on the team should touch the ball more than 7 times a game (that includes punts).

Of course he isn't the only guy that should make that claim. Rob Konrad anyone?

Would it have been nice for him to talk about SU more? Yeah. It doesn't bother me that he didn't. He was misused. The best player on the team should touch the ball more than 7 times a game (that includes punts).

Of course he isn't the only guy that should make that claim. Rob Konrad anyone?

Yes that is how talented our teams were back then, we won a lot of games in spite of P and George.

Based on the Philly car wash shooting that hangs over him, I am guessing the Hill isn't begging for him to return no matter what he said tonight

Yes that is how talented our teams were back then, we won a lot of games in spite of P and George.
I think P was good at a lot of things and George initially brought an innovative offense while building a number of good offensive lines. However, I never liked P's penchant to try to force every player into a system rather than adapting the system to the personnel's strengths and neither was able to adapt as times changed. I remember when FSU changed offenses mid season to fit Charlie Ward and always wondered why we couldn't do things like that.

I look at it this way: He's far removed from the hill, and he really owes us nothing. He played his snaps, ably so, and he attained his degree, thus completing the terms of the agreement. His legacy gives us a great counterpoint to the recent criticisms of Cuse football, though. Through players like him, we can say we know what greatness is. While the program has been down more than up in the last 15 years or so, WE have had the distinct experience of seeing HOFers play and greatness develop before our eyes. Would I have liked more acknowledgement, sure. But I'm not going to hold it against him.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom