NFL re refs | Syracusefan.com

NFL re refs

Cuseregular

Hall of Fame
Has it been THAT bad? Curious on peoples takes as being more of a college guy I'm barely paying attention to the few games that have been on in front of me.

Including last night. That play in real time was a tough call and by the time both refs got over there it looked like simultaneous possession on the ground as they fought, which is what Tirico declared from the start of it, thus the one refs call. Replay showed otherwise IMO and should have overturned it and up there I hear there's NOT replacement guys but business as usual. Again curious peoples thoughts.

Has it been THAT bad? Curious on peoples takes as being more of a college guy I'm barely paying attention to the few games that have been on in front of me.

Including last night. That play in real time was a tough call and by the time both refs got over there it looked like simultaneous possession on the ground as they fought, thus the one refs call. Replay showed otherwise IMO and should have overturned it and up there I hear there's NOT replacement guys but business as usual. Again curious peoples thoughts.
i love how tv and radio guys just accept whatever dopey reason something isn't reviewable. what's the point of having replay when they make so much not reviewable?

The blown calls are big, and there've been a ton of them, but the refs have just destroyed the flow of the game. When they take twice as long as the normal refs to try to get calls right, and then blow them anyway, it's really rough.

These refs suck between blown calls and just not having any clue what they are doing is just painful, and what other have said they destroy the flow.

The Chargers games have all been fine.

The coaches/players are taking more advantage as the season wears on, they're more in their face after each play, that ups the pressure, and that increases delays as the officials seem to be getting more and more unsteady about their calls. The defenses seem to be trying to get away with more too.

They need to just act like the regular officals and ignore everyone and just stick with their crappy calls - they're overthinking now and causing too many delays.

If you act like you're right, people just accept that you are. These guys aren't doing that.

I blame Jon Gruden.

i love how tv and radio guys just accept whatever dopey reason something isn't reviewable. what's the point of having replay when they make so much not reviewable?

This is exactly my problem. The dispute in this case was over a "process"; i.e. the "white hat", as we are now trained to call them, did not confer with two officials who were in the end zone. Thus, the 1st call of TD stood.

But, even if he had conferred, there is a strong chance they would have upheld the TD call, and replay would not have done a damn thing b/c it ain't reviewable.

We can review whether someone made a catch in bounds, whether they finished the "process" of making a catch, whether it crossed the goal line, etc..., but we can't review WHO caught it? That's the real shame here.

I was the one defending these replacements from day 1. Saying how the media has played this up so much that every single call and every single subtle mistake will be spotlighted, replayed, and analyzed to dust. I didn't think it was fair to these replacements to be shoved under the microscope and thrown under the bus before being given a chance.

3 weeks into the season?

These hacks are indefensible. Utter shell shock. Stage fright. Amateur hour of disaster. Some of their calls are so bad I don't think a single football fan here could make the same mistake... other times they are so clueless that they very well may have been the only people in the stadium who didn't understand the rule for a certain play. One of my biggest peeves about football is the spotting of the ball... in all the years of bad spots that have boiled my blood, I have never seen spotting this horrendous.

Then there are the MISSED calls. One thing that has stood out is just how good the veteran NFL refs are at accurately identifying violations when they happen, rarely missing even the most obscure foul that almost never happens. These replacements not only miss those calls, they miss the obvious calls ... AND they call violations when there isn't any.

While I could never imagine what it must be like to be tossed into the lion's den the way they were ... they haven't done themselves any hint of a favor.

I was the one defending these replacements from day 1. Saying how the media has played this up so much that every single call and every single subtle mistake will be spotlighted, replayed, and analyzed to dust. I didn't think it was fair to these replacements to be shoved under the microscope and thrown under the bus before being given a chance.

3 weeks into the season?

These hacks are indefensible. Utter shell shock. Stage fright. Amateur hour of disaster. Some of their calls are so bad I don't think a single football fan here could make the same mistake... other times they are so clueless that they very well may have been the only people in the stadium who didn't understand the rule for a certain play. One of my biggest peeves about football is the spotting of the ball... in all the years of bad spots that have boiled my blood, I have never seen spotting this horrendous.

Then there are the MISSED calls. One thing that has stood out is just how good the veteran NFL refs are at accurately identifying violations when they happen, rarely missing even the most obscure foul that almost never happens. These replacements not only miss those calls, they miss the obvious calls ... AND they call violations when there isn't any.

While I could never imagine what it must be like to be tossed into the lion's den the way they were ... they haven't done themselves any hint of a favor.

Agreed, and that's from watching just a few games/parts of games these past three weeks. I think the biggest thing I noticed last night on that call is that neither official in the end zone looked to each other before making the call. Real refs in that situation work together to figure out what they just saw instead of throwing hands up right away. And that's before the head guy comes over to figure out what happened (which never happened last night).

Me too. I think it's funny everyone just forgets how badly the Pittsburgh-Seattle SB was butchered by the regular refs. The Bills games have been fine from what I've seen. It's obviously harder to defend them after the Sunday & Monday night games; although the Pats & Packers are probably owed about a dozen more of those screwjobs to be even in my lifetime so whatever.

I always thought the regular refs were guilty of giving too many calls to the team that was losing. These replacements seem to do that even more. I really don't understand why every team doesn't throw deep on every other play when they're in a rut offensively & losing. "Hey the defender is running downfield - must be PI!".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom