NFL Thread - 2020 | Page 146 | Syracusefan.com

NFL Thread - 2020

Being a Bears fan has to suck.
It’s like the same thing every year.
Defense plays its ass off.
Is physical and makes plays.
Then they have a special teams returner who makes plays.

Every year they have a offense that is stuck in mud and can’t ever be a top 10’offense. They don’t bottom out but they never get that QB to put them over.
They trade first round picks a lot.
It must suck.
Jay Cutler is probably their best QB since 1985.

Every year they have a offense that is stuck in mud and can’t ever be a top 10’offense. They don’t bottom out but they never get that QB to put them over.
It must suck.

Pre-khaki Jim Harbaugh had a better run there than Cutler (late 80s - early 90s).

But the majority of QBs they’ve had since McMahon have been either bad retreads or busted high round picks.

ETA - I forgot Cutler took them to the conference championship in one of his first few years there. Probably had a better run than Harbaugh.

I don't think the bears ol is the worst in the league but it's not great. Foles has to go down as the worst QB to ever win a sb. I know you said Dilfer before. Dilfer was much better.

haha yeah that Dilfer was a stud. ;)

Foles threw 27 TDs and two picks one year. He's had success beyond the SB.

Minnesota has a lousy pass rush and they were in Foles' grill all night long. The Bears OL is dreadful.

I don't think the bears ol is the worst in the league but it's not great. Foles has to go down as the worst QB to ever win a sb. I know you said Dilfer before. Dilfer was much better.
Dilfer could not have beaten the Pats like Foles did.

Minnesota has a lousy pass rush and they were in Foles' grill all night long. The Bears OL is dreadful.
It is truly amazing that people do not understand the perfect positive correlation between bad Oline play and bad QB play.

A good Oline cannot make a bad QB a good QB but a bad Oline is guaranteed to make a great QB look awful.

Dilfer is, BY FAR, the worst QB to ever win a Super Bowl. I could have played QB with that Ravens defense and won the Super Bowl just by handing it off every down, punting on 4th and waiting for the D to score points.

Yeah I don’t know how Chicago fans do it. This is an all time defense if they’re not on the field every other minute

It is truly amazing that people do not understand the perfect positive correlation between bad Oline play and bad QB play.

A good Oline cannot make a bad QB a good QB but a bad Oline is guaranteed to make a great QB look awful.

Dilfer is, BY FAR, the worst QB to ever win a Super Bowl. I could have played QB with that Ravens defense and won the Super Bowl just by handing it off every down, punting on 4th and waiting for the D to score points.

foles would now suck behind a line of Ogden, Boselli, Tunei, Larry Allen , House Ballard

It must suck.
It's fitting that bill murray is a bears fan because the bears are the nfl version of groundhog day.

foles would now suck behind a line of Ogden, Boselli, Tunei, Larry Allen , House Ballard

Of course he would. You've got four OTs there and a guard, that's never gonna work on an OL. Who's gonna snap the ball?

Yeah I don’t know how Chicago fans do it. This is an all time defense if they’re not on the field every other minute
Hot take coming through. All time defense? It's really good. An all time defense doesnt let min March it down the field for a gw td. They gave up a million yards to the Lions they would have lost if swift catches the easy td.

Last edited:
Hot take coming through. All time defense? It's really good.an An all time defense doesnt let min March it down the field for a gw td. They gave up a million yards to the Lions they would have lost if swift catches the easy td.

With apologies to the younger folk here, an example of an all-time defense would be the 1991 Philadelphia Eagles. Football Outsiders ranks them as the most dominant defense in NFL history using DVOA. I don't know if they were most dominant but they were up there. Led the NFL in fewest passing yards allowed and fewest rushing yards allowed. In fact only allowed 3.9 yards per play. Had five Pro Bowlers on that defense - Reggie White, Clyde Simmons, Jerome Brown, Seth Joyner and Eric Allen. That team had the best front four I've ever seen in the NFL.

Some other examples that come to mind would be the Steel Curtain in the 1970s, the Bears in 1986 and the Ravens at the turn of the century.

With apologies to the younger folk here, an example of an all-time defense would be the 1991 Philadelphia Eagles. Football Outsiders ranks them as the most dominant defense in NFL history using DVOA. I don't know if they were most dominant but they were up there. Led the NFL in fewest passing yards allowed and fewest rushing yards allowed. In fact only allowed 3.9 yards per play. Had five Pro Bowlers on that defense - Reggie White, Clyde Simmons, Jerome Brown, Seth Joyner and Eric Allen. That team had the best front four I've ever seen in the NFL.

Some other examples that come to mind would be the Steel Curtain in the 1970s, the Bears in 1986 and the Ravens at the turn of the century.
With the way the game is trending and the rules the way they are I don't think you will see defenses like the ones you mentioned ever again.

The amazing thing about the 91 Eagles is that they didn't make the playoffs.

With the way the game is trending and the rules the way they are I don't think you will see defenses like the ones you mentioned ever again.

Yeah I was watching some old video of a few games and the football is unrecognizable. Applying today's rules back then would have resulted in about a half dozen ejections every game. Brutal.

The amazing thing about the 91 Eagles is that they didn't make the playoffs.

True they went 10-6. This year they may barely win half that many games and make the playoffs.

That team lost Randall Cunningham for the year in the first game. Unlike this year's NFC East back then that division was brutal with the Skins and NYG both excellent teams and then your Coyboys brought up the rear. :)

True they went 10-6. This year they may barely win half that many games and make the playoffs.

That team lost Randall Cunningham for the year in the first game. Unlike this year's NFC East back then that division was brutal with the Skins and NYG both excellent teams and then your Coyboys brought up the rear. :)

Not to mention most of the games in division were played on painted concrete

One reason would be that when he won a SB he had the best OL in the NFL in front of him. Now he has probably the worst OL to work with. That can make a big difference.

I rewatched the highlights of the nfc champ game recently trying to remember a couple of the plays. OLine was massive. Blount, Clement, and Ajayi were a great running game. And most important for a guy like Foles as you saw from the Miller types last night. If it touched the hands of Ertz, Jeffery, or even a guy like Torrey Smith in the playoffs, it was caught. Didn’t matter if the throw was accurate.

also D make timely turnovers and had enough pressure from Cox, Graham, and Barnett.

Foles was never going to work anywhere there wasn’t a decent o Line...and definitely not with that hideous run game and set of receivers they have.

BTW, speaking of Bears, be interested in hearing your take on McMahon. Their offense was great that year because they ran the ball down everyone's throats. McMahon's stats were very mediocre. I don't think he is Dilfer but he might not be far above him.

The flip side to the argument is that, with that running game and D, McMahon was asked to be nothing more than a game manager, much like Simms and Hoss under Parcells.

Great D but didn't win enough.

BTW, speaking of Bears, be interested in hearing your take on McMahon. Their offense was great that year because they ran the ball down everyone's throats. McMahon's stats were very mediocre. I don't think he is Dilfer but he might not be far above him.

The flip side to the argument is that, with that running game and D, McMahon was asked to be nothing more than a game manager, much like Simms and Hoss under Parcells.
i wouldnt put Simms and McMahon in the same sentence.

Phil was certainly a game manager, but one who finished his career All Time i believe 8th in yards and 13th in TD passes.

he had some injuries, but he also missed games because of 2 strikes.

hes also the recipient of one of my all time favorite Parcells quotes..."SIMMS!!! if you dont throw 2 interceptions today, then youre just not trying hard".

let that sink in to all the anti-INT fanboys out there.

No thanks, Philbin is exponentially better.
I thought Colombo was a really good ol coach. Its not all Philbins fault he lost Collins, Smith, Frederick, but I liked the edge that Colombo brought to the team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom