NFL Thread - 2020 | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

NFL Thread - 2020

O’Brien is a legit moron .. here’s an excerp from Bill barnwells write up of the trade that exemplifies the stupidity of his offseason moves

“In a vacuum, if I told you the Texans replaced DeAndre Hopkins with Cooks, that wouldn't be a disaster. Where this really goes off the rails, though, is with another O'Brien mistake. The one non-Cooper wideout to get a significant guarantee over two years in this draft class is Randall Cobb, who received a three-year, $27 million deal with $18 million guaranteed from Houston. Based on the rest of the market, Cobb's value was realistically somewhere around one year and $5 million.

The Texans will pay Cobb and Cooks $38.7 million over the next two seasons, or an average of $19.4 million per year. Hopkins reportedly wanted a contract extension worth between $18 million and $20 million per season. I haven't polled every team, but my suspicion is that about 28 or 29 of the 32 NFL teams would rather pay Hopkins that much money over the next couple of seasons than they would the combination of Cobb and Cooks.”

Les Snead and Sean McVay don't look to bright right now either.

I don't think the Cooks trade is all that bad in a vacuum. He's a great #2 WR/fringe #1 WR when healthy. Health is obviously a huge question though with all his concussions. But when you pair this with the Hopkins trade and Randall Cobb signing, it looks so bad for Houston and that's without even considering the fact that you might be able to get a better long-term WR than Cooks with that 2nd round pick in this outstanding WR class.

O’Brien is a legit moron .. here’s an excerp from Bill barnwells write up of the trade that exemplifies the stupidity of his offseason moves

“In a vacuum, if I told you the Texans replaced DeAndre Hopkins with Cooks, that wouldn't be a disaster. Where this really goes off the rails, though, is with another O'Brien mistake. The one non-Cooper wideout to get a significant guarantee over two years in this draft class is Randall Cobb, who received a three-year, $27 million deal with $18 million guaranteed from Houston. Based on the rest of the market, Cobb's value was realistically somewhere around one year and $5 million.

The Texans will pay Cobb and Cooks $38.7 million over the next two seasons, or an average of $19.4 million per year. Hopkins reportedly wanted a contract extension worth between $18 million and $20 million per season. I haven't polled every team, but my suspicion is that about 28 or 29 of the 32 NFL teams would rather pay Hopkins that much money over the next couple of seasons than they would the combination of Cobb and Cooks.”

And Barnwell doesn't even mention (at least in the part you showed) Cooks' brutal concussion history.

I don't think the Cooks trade is all that bad in a vacuum. He's a great #2 WR/fringe #1 WR when healthy. Health is obviously a huge question though with all his concussions. But when you pair this with the Hopkins trade and Randall Cobb signing, it looks so bad for Houston and that's without even considering the fact that you might be able to get a better long-term WR than Cooks with that 2nd round pick in this outstanding WR class.

Good point about the health. I mentioned that below prior to reading your post. You also have to pause when you see team after team very willing to trade Cooks.

Drew Brees is going to replace Cris Collinsworth on Sunday Night Football after this year.

Drew Brees is going to replace Cris Collinsworth on Sunday Night Football after this year.

I’m skeptical but hopeful as you are the resident Saints fan.

If it’s true...

1586572019572.gif

It's true but the part about replacing Collinsworth may take awhile from what I've read.

It's true but the part about replacing Collinsworth may take awhile from what I've read.

Here’s hoping Brees takes to broadcasting as quickly as he reads NFL defenses.

The sooner Collinsworth is out, the better.

This is all about loading up as much ammo ahead of the NFL TV deal hunger games ... it’s not going to be a major factor , but it does help your cause a bit if you can tell the NFL you have Brees signed on going forward to do your games

Glad he got paid and I love him as my keeper league RB, but maybe not the best move for the Panthers

Smart by the Panthers to get it done now. This is the rebuild year where 3 of their top 6 cap hits are dead money charges. Might as well get it all done and try to get some of the guaranteed money pushed up into this year so that by the time he is 26 or 27 and trending down, most of the guarantees will have been paid out and they can move on if necessary.

On a related note, it seems like hitting on a great RB in the draft puts you in a no win situation. Almost forced to overpay on a 2nd contract where you can't extract any kind of surplus value and usually ends up horrible.

Smart by the Panthers to get it done now. This is the rebuild year where 3 of their top 6 cap hits are dead money charges. Might as well get it all done and try to get some of the guaranteed money pushed up into this year so that by the time he is 26 or 27 and trending down, most of the guarantees will have been paid out and they can move on if necessary.

On a related note, it seems like hitting on a great RB in the draft puts you in a no win situation. Almost forced to overpay on a 2nd contract where you can't extract any kind of surplus value and usually ends up horrible.

it’s all relative though .. the amount of money (16 million a year ) is chump change compared to what he’s actually worth if there were no bs salary cap.

Unless they go to a three man booth.brees is going to be waiting a while Collin worth has antothet 5 to 10 years in him.

Unless they go to a three man booth.brees is going to be waiting a while Collin worth has antothet 5 to 10 years in him.
youre assuming the TV construct continues as is .. it won’t

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom