Nice little article from Pomeroy concerning Syracuse | Syracusefan.com

Nice little article from Pomeroy concerning Syracuse

sounds like he has never really watched a game but tries to use stats to prove what ever his current theory is.

"Really, any proper way you try to assess difficulty will indicate that winning at Saint Louis is tougher than beating Duke at home. It’s not all that close."

I am confused that a statistician would make such a definitive proclamation.

Whenever I make statistical observations at my place of employment I hedge the crap out of those statements.

This is the weakness of numerical analytics. No one can watch that Duke game and say they didn't play one of their best, if not their best, game of the season because they were playing the number 2 team in the country, that is in it's first year in a conference that they have dominated for 3+ decades. Pure numbers don't show things like that. Duke wanted to "welcome" Syracuse to the ACC in the worst way, and that made that game tougher than any other game Syracuse or Wichita St. has played this year.

"Really, any proper way you try to assess difficulty will indicate that winning at Saint Louis is tougher than beating Duke at home. It’s not all that close."

Whenever I make statistical observations at my place of employment I hedge the crap out of those statements.

Yeah maybe it should be more something like it is harder to bear the 20th ranked (I think that is where st louis is ranked in his system) team on the road than #3 at home.

I don't see the problem with the article, his general point is very sound.

He thinks that college basketball games are just Monte Carlo simulations which is why his head is so far up his rear end that he can't see other obvious facets of the game (besides Home Court Advantage).

Three words: show your work.

Personally speaking, I think that article is full of shite. As was his conclusion that we are going to lose thanks to now being on the road.

0-1, KenPom.

KenPom knows his stuff. Everyone knows the Cuse stuffs their OOC schedule with high school teams and never leave the state of NY until January 1st.

KenPom knows his stuff. Everyone knows the Cuse stuffs their OOC schedule with high school teams and never leave the state of NY until January 1st.

Survey says:

images

Survey says:

images
The last time you guys scheduled an away OOC game in the last 15 years was in 2008 at #25 Memphis. Explain to me how that doesn't correlate with Ken Pom's arguments.

The last time you guys scheduled an away OOC game in the last 15 years was in 2008 at #25 Memphis. Explain to me how that doesn't correlate with Ken Pom's arguments.
hey you guys gonna figure out how to sweep houston and smu in one of these next few years? good, solid rivalries shaping up for ucon!

Ill take neutral site games against good teams alllllll day. Considering we play in the NCAA Tournament and not the NIT, neutral site games are better game experience.

We'll probably look to add your team to the creampuff portion of our schedule pretty soon, for an easy win.

Road games are a lot harder than home games, and if we lose some of our tough road games coming up, it doesn't mean we still aren't really good.
So do you agree with his assertion that wichita's win over slu > our win over duke?

Yup--just like last year, when we went to the final four and you watched on TV with jealousy in your black little hearts.

Better get used to it--you're well on your way to being umass! Well, I suppose you'll always have the play in games, given that mid major conference you've been relegated to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom