Nice little article from Pomeroy concerning Syracuse | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Nice little article from Pomeroy concerning Syracuse

I could care less about your schedule, its JB's and the universities problem that he is afraid to leave the state until January, not mine or UConn fans, if he wants pad his resume fine I don't care.

I do care about the holier than thou stance of all Cuse fans and how you think your program is some great model of success, when in fact it has accomplished less than UConn on the court.

More NCAA Titles? UConn
Big East Tournament Titles? UConn
Big East Regular Season Titles? UConn

And you claim that your underachievement is due to lack of talent right? And NBA talent wins championships?

In 2013 you had 3 players drafted, 2 in 2011. There has been a steady stream, about 10 over the last decade, similar to UConn, just because your players are failures in the league (outside Melo and MCW) does not mean you have not had the talent. Why then have you not won a title in the last decade? Or how about the early 90s when you were producing a ton of good NBA talent why were you not winning anything then?

Please where were your titles during 05-10 with all that talent? How many times were you a one seed during that time and flame out? Newsflash Jim Calhoun winning a national title is hard even getting to a final four is an epic task. Stop acting like your Kentucky or Duke Syracuse and Uconn have been to three Championship games each unfortunately we all cant play Butler and G. Tech.

Bottomline when push came to shove a conference chose Rutgers over you, FREAKING RUTGERS. They suck at life and everything sports related and they still got picked over you.

Fair enough, I just think that numbers alone — and kenpom's emphasis on victory margins — are not an accurate way to assess teams. Good comparative tool for all 350+ teams? sure. Does it really tell you who's best? not by a long shot.

If you're point is #2 isn't definitely better than #3 or whatever, then sure. There's an awful lot of noise in his numbers, or any numbers. Nature of the beast.

Fair enough, I just think that numbers alone — and kenpom's emphasis on victory margins — are not an accurate way to assess teams. Good comparative tool for all 350+ teams? sure. Does it really tell you who's best? not by a long shot.

For all his supposed emphasis on victory margin were still ranked seconds in his his system.

uconnaac350.png

Do you see that Mr. NewEngland? That is the sight of inevitability. You will inevitably fade into a nothing program just like the nothing programs on that graphic. Your NC count will stay at 3, while ours will grow. Your meaningful Conference Championship count will never be added to, while ours will grow. If you fell in the woods no one would hear a sound. Soak that graphic in buddy.

The last time you guys scheduled an away OOC game in the last 15 years was in 2008 at #25 Memphis. Explain to me how that doesn't correlate with Ken Pom's arguments.
Troll alert!

I could care less about your schedule, its JB's and the universities problem that he is afraid to leave the state until January, not mine or UConn fans, if he wants pad his resume fine I don't care.

I do care about the holier than thou stance of all Cuse fans and how you think your program is some great model of success, when in fact it has accomplished less than UConn on the court.

More NCAA Titles? UConn
Big East Tournament Titles? UConn
Big East Regular Season Titles? UConn

And you claim that your underachievement is due to lack of talent right? And NBA talent wins championships?

In 2013 you had 3 players drafted, 2 in 2011. There has been a steady stream, about 10 over the last decade, similar to UConn, just because your players are failures in the league (outside Melo and MCW) does not mean you have not had the talent. Why then have you not won a title in the last decade? Or how about the early 90s when you were producing a ton of good NBA talent why were you not winning anything then?

Tell me about all these great NBA ready SU players from the 90's. DC? Owens? Ok - that takes us to 1991. who else? John Wallace? if you can't see we overachieved between 92 and 99, there is no hope for you. Yes - now we are loaded for bear again - and the tourney results mostly reflect that. We have also had some bad luck in the injury dept, and I happen to be one of those that thinks we'd have 2 NC's right now had Arinze not gone down. But - our regardless, our recent tourney record ain't too shabby.

UConn is deserving of sympathy, but it is hard to muster. First of all, I'd be lynched by my own kind for the mere suggestion of it, but second - you guys are just clinging so desperately to what has obviously been lost and just in a constant state of denial - I think a new generation of UConn fan needs to arise - one that is more in tune with your actual predicament, before normal discourse can be achieved.

You are confused because you do not use Statistics for morons. (Que Lawrinson for photo shopped book w/title)

In three easy steps, Stats for Morons will soon have you winning any argument.

In Chapter One: Choosing you point; we show you that simy picking anything you are emphatic about or wish to prove is as easy as pie (the eating kind, not the math one that screws everything up).

In Chapter Two: Selecting your Statistics; we show you that choosing any numerical value works so long you mention it a few times. For more proof, we suggest you use a couple other numbers. Nobody cares what these numbers are or what they mean, they just have to be there.

Finally, in Chapter Three: Proving your Point, we show you how repeating your numbers prices everything. As a bonus, we show you how to bold and italicize for added effect.

This book is popular with politicians of all levels and by lazy sportswriters. Get your copy today!

$29.95 +s&h.
This is actually one of my favorite books, and sits on my desk at work - http://www.amazon.com/How-Lie-Statistics-Darrell-Huff/dp/0393310728

Mods, why is this kind of trolling permitted? This is a way bigger problem than when I made the joke that Keita's knee had a subdural hematoma.

I am not sure what is worse, his formulas or his writing. Both are in desperate need of a good editor.

I was unaware you had a degree in statistics.

To get back on topic, god, why are we so defensive when we're undefeated? Nothing he said is ludicrous. It's been well documented, in multiple sports (soccer more than others but still) that home court has a rather large statistical benefit for the home team. So yeah, it would be, by the numbers, harder to win @St. Louis than beat Duke at home. It's not making a conclusion, definitely, on how the teams will play (that's the point here, that 65% and 52% come from large sample sizes of simulated games). So of course there's room for Duke to play amazing and negate our home court advantage, and there's just as much a chance that if we played @St. Louis, they'd come out flat and we could rout them. But the probability is the other way on both.

I was unaware you had a degree in statistics.
You should read his dissertation on Tubas to Wins Ratios in Major College Sports. Aside from being an interesting read it is also quite accurate. He even breaks it down between Big State U's and Private U's.

To get back on topic, god, why are we so defensive when we're undefeated? Nothing he said is ludicrous. It's been well documented, in multiple sports (soccer more than others but still) that home court has a rather large statistical benefit for the home team. So yeah, it would be, by the numbers, harder to win @St. Louis than beat Duke at home. It's not making a conclusion, definitely, on how the teams will play (that's the point here, that 65% and 52% come from large sample sizes of simulated games). So of course there's room for Duke to play amazing and negate our home court advantage, and there's just as much a chance that if we played @St. Louis, they'd come out flat and we could rout them. But the probability is the other way on both.
Kinda have to agree in that it sucks for the visiting team to visit the Dome. Statistically speaking visiting teams lose every time this year.

If we played Georgia tech and butler in our 2 other championship games instead of powerhouse Indiana and Kentucky teams we'd have 3 championships too.

Once Boeheim retires you guys will be the doormat of the ACC. I'm not sure why you bother poking fun at a program that has achieved more success than yours.

Maybe you haven't noticed but Hop, Red and G-Mac handle most of the recruiting. Last few years SU's classes have finished in the top 10. Hop is the coach in waiting and players know that. Don't think we have anything to worry about. Lastly why do fans of other teams take the time to create an account on another teams fan board just to trash said program? I don't know if I will ever understand it? Don't you have other things to do? Like make a snowman? or Snow Angel? smh.

Once Boeheim retires you guys will be the doormat of the ACC. I'm not sure why you bother poking fun at a program that has achieved more success than yours.
Speaking of basketball, how is your football program doing. I am sure that most high profile basketball players want to go play at Uconn because they play Houston as opposed to playing in front of 35,000 screaming fans vs. a second rate program like Duke.

Get over yourself and get use to being in the crapper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom