Nick Carparelli | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Nick Carparelli

There would have to be a potential conflict of interest discussion... both during the interview process and negotiation process, if it got that far. Who knows, perhaps Kent sees this as a red flag and will keep Nick out of the candidates pool, unless Nick would agree to divest.
The Chancellor has a master's degree in economics, a JD, was a Professor of Law and Dean of a law school. I'm confident that he will exercise his due diligence.

I can't imagine we'd have to hire a search firm. Coyle never unpacked. The ink isn't even dry on the interview notes.

As for Carparelli, those 2 endorsements certainly should earn him a spot on the interview list. I couldn't speak to any possible conflict of interest issues that some of you are mentioning, so let the legal people have fun with that.

I hope whoever they hire understands what kind of hire Babers is for the football program and will give a full vote of confidence to let him see it through. As I've said (and many others as well), we have to try this route given that Dome thing we have, and if it doesn't work out you find out so much more about the job. It's such a change of style, you need to give him enough time.

Then there's the whole JB/Hopkins thing again, but that's for another board on another day.
Sorry Chip just using your post to both agree with and make an impassioned statement; any new AD that doesn't get behind Baber's is crazy! I mean straight crazy. Seriously, at this point, who else is there who's style would be more appropriate for the dome and to distinguish a small private school (Baylor) from big southern schools who routinely beat us to shreds. If Baber's fails, and not at all saying he is a sure thing, it will certainly speak volumes about the chance to win in the general sense, given limitations of the job and school. He's already proven himself to be a competent coach, so I don't envision all of a sudden that being an issue for any lack of success.

Sorry Chip just using your post to both agree with and make an impassioned statement; any new AD that doesn't get behind Baber's is crazy! I mean straight crazy. Seriously, at this point, who else is there who's style would be more appropriate for the dome and to distinguish a small private school (Baylor) from big southern schools who routinely beat us to shreds. If Baber's fails, and not at all saying he is a sure thing, it will certainly speak volumes about the chance to win in the general sense, given limitations of the job and school. He's already proven himself to be a competent coach, so I don't envision all of a sudden that being an issue for any lack of success.

Also remember - it was the Chancellor who hired Babers - he was the one who agreed to the hire.

I have little doubt, given the commitment that Babers made to the school that the Chancellor will make it quite clear to the new AD that Dino is the head coach - he will run the Football Program - period.

There would have to be a potential conflict of interest discussion... both during the interview process and negotiation process, if it got that far. Who knows, perhaps Kent sees this as a red flag and will keep Nick out of the candidates pool, unless Nick would agree to divest.

college athletics are one giant conflict of interest. You are joking right? Oregon is practically Nike University. Boeheim is beholden to Nike probably more than Syracuse to the amt he's being paid by them. If we can get the guy from UA b/c he's the best candidate then he should def try and cut the best deal w UA...F Boeheim at this point. He's made enough with Nike and leaving shortly.

I am more interested in bringing in the naming rights from UA..maybe once we figure out a way to buy out Carrier, the dome can be the UA Dome.

college athletics are one giant conflict of interest. You are joking right? Oregon is practically Nike University. Boeheim is beholden to Nike probably more than Syracuse to the amt he's being paid by them. If we can get the guy from UA b/c he's the best candidate then he should def try and cut the best deal w UA...F Boeheim at this point. He's made enough with Nike and leaving shortly.

I am more interested in bringing in the naming rights from UA..maybe once we figure out a way to buy out Carrier, the dome can be the UA Dome.
No, I'm not kidding.

Have you seen the recent deals between schools and the apparel industry? You would want the AD to negotiate with all potential suppliers to get the best possible agreement (which may be more than just $$$). You can't have your AD be a major stockholder, or benefactor, of one of those companies. You just can't.

Why be tied to UA if another supplier would be a better fit? Having UA experience should give Nick a great advantage in such negotiations. Perhaps for those decisions Nick is merely a negotiator and advisor, but not the decider. I'd be OK with that. Would he?

No, I'm not kidding.

Have you seen the recent deals between schools and the apparel industry? You would want the AD to negotiate with all potential suppliers to get the best possible agreement (which may be more than just $$$). You can't have your AD be a major stockholder, or benefactor, of one of those companies. You just can't.

Why be tied to UA if another supplier would be a better fit? Having UA experience should give Nick a great advantage in such negotiations. Perhaps for those decisions Nick is merely a negotiator and advisor, but not the decider. I'd be OK with that. Would he?

let me know how Nike and Oregon handle it and i'm sure it'll be fine for Syracuse and UA. You think Oregon considers any other shoe company? It shouldn't be a problem.

I don't believe he will get the job. I actually think that our associate AD may be in line for the position
Cunningham or Frazier?

elimunelson said:
let me know how Nike and Oregon handle it and i'm sure it'll be fine for Syracuse and UA. You think Oregon considers any other shoe company? It shouldn't be a problem.

Oregon AD has Nike stock options? You sure?

Brent Axe ‏@BrentAxeMedia
Gotta say, the number of people reaching out to me to back @NickCarparelli as @Cuse AD is noteworthy.

Readers, listeners, Twitter users, business executives, sports executives, prominent broadcasters (McDonough strongly endorsed him on radio)

Nick Carparelli has the widest range and most passionate backing so far. Take note, @SyracuseU board of directors in town this weekend

Cunningham or Frazier?
Cunningham i would imagine.

I heard him talk the other day and said - "he'll be leaving to be an AD in the next few years". Maybe the leaving part wasn't true and the timeline was too long.

No, I'm not kidding.

1. The guy is obviously a highly respected professional.

2. SU moving to UA wouldn't move the needle on the stock price.

3. I think it's more likely that SU would get a sweetheart deal than the other way around.

For a guy this well qualified with strong SU ties to not hire him because he works for UA would be nuts.

3. I think it's more likely that SU would get a sweetheart deal than the other way around.

For a guy this well qualified with strong SU ties to not hire him because he works for UA would be nuts.

I agree he seems like such a logical/easy choice. If he wants the job that is. Syracuse has to make him say NO to us. Who cares if we become an UA school. Maybe they dump tons of money into our program with a new dome ect.

You're funny.

If UA is going to go the Nike route with a school, it'll be Maryland.
Try comparing SU to some other schools who do not have apparel company CEOs as alumni.

I have nothing against Nick, but if he is offered the position it will have to come with a either a divestiture clause or with him not deciding on apparel.

Anything else, would at a minimum, give the appearance of a conflict of interest, if not a blatant conflict. Corporate America frowns on any such situations and demands full disclosure of them as they arise. I suspect that SU has similar policies.

You're funny.

If UA is going to go the Nike route with a school, it'll be Maryland.
Try comparing SU to some other schools who do not have apparel company CEOs as alumni.

I'll admit, I'm not entirely sure what the debate is on UA - their interest, their appeal, their designs - but I do know this, that they have been very interested in getting into college programs the last couple years and are making some very lucrative deals with schools that have signed on. I believe Maryland's deal last year was 10 years over $30M of clothing, gear and support.

I have nothing against Nick, but if he is offered the position it will have to come with a either a divestiture clause or with him not deciding on apparel.

Anything else, would at a minimum, give the appearance of a conflict of interest, if not a blatant conflict. Corporate America frowns on any such situations and demands full disclosure of them as they arise. I suspect that SU has similar policies.

I'm not sure I get this angle either. It would only be a conflict if he's personally reaping a benefit. If he has stock options, most likely those would expire within a year (some companies, it's 60 days). And any UA/Syracuse relationship is not going to move the stock price at all. Now, if there's a fear that he would be getting kickbacks, and maybe that's a definite concern, then I could see the point. But kickbacks happen at all levels of an organization, conflict of interest or not.

texascpa said:
I'll admit, I'm not entirely sure what the debate is on UA - their interest, their appeal, their designs - but I do know this, that they have been very interested in getting into college programs the last couple years and are making some very lucrative deals with schools that have signed on. I believe Maryland's deal last year was 10 years over $30M of clothing, gear and support.
Don't forget Notre Dame. One of the most iconic and un-f**ked with designs out there. Crazy one-offs but not in general.

Has anyone ever met a guy named Nick who they didn't like?
Need to clarify - the guy on the left wasn't a big fan of the Nick on the right. I did like Nick on this show.
CBS_FAMILYTIES_094_IMAGE_CIAN_640x360.jpg

Last edited: