Nick Carparelli | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Nick Carparelli

Sounds like some of you guys believe that if we get him, we will all of a sudden get Maryland treatment from Under armor.

Setting this guy up for failure before he's even a candidate. Us Cuse fans do this so damn well.

Hear me out. I was a big fan of nick the first time around and really wanted him to get the job but maybe it wasn't the right time. It was pretty apparent that shafer wasn't going to be the long term solution and maybe it was the reason Coyle got the nod. Someone with experience in making a football hire. I think this may be the most excited anyone has been regarding a football hire with actual experience in a very long time. Now that the two sports look like they are set for a while with babers and the Hopkins progression plan it may be the perfect time for nick to get the nod. No big coaching decisions need to be made immediately and he can deal with the buisness aspect of it. Just my 2 cents. Doesn't hurt he has a lot of support from many alums, plus he seems to bleed orange, got to love that

image-1637457462.jpg

Umm, that Nick was awesome.

Nick(elback) is a Nick I hate.
I should have been more clear and said the guy in the left in the photo wasn't a big fan of this Nick.

Sounds like some of you guys believe that if we get him, we will all of a sudden get Maryland treatment from Under armor.

Setting this guy up for failure before he's even a candidate. Us Cuse fans do this so damn well.

The MD UA uniforms are no more hideous than most of the Nike uniforms.

He'd be an excellent choice.

I was surprised he didn't make the short list last time.

So I wonder whether SU just goes back to that list or takes a look at some new candidates.

He would not be.

But Mad, I've read his LinkedIn profile. What else is there?!

There's obviously more to people thinking he would be a good candidate than a linkedin profile. And it looks like a lot of people hold an opinion opposite of Mad.

(Strong) opinion.
All due respect but these kind of cryptic, "answers/non-answers" are really annoying.
You don't need to give specifics, but just lobbing mini-grenades throughout the thread, without context or further explanation, serves no purpose whatsoever. Its something I go through w/ my wife all the time, so call it a pet peeve.
Give us some of the goods, or say nothing! JMHO

Last edited:
The perceived needs of the time typically are reflected in a hire. Our current Chancellor was hired, in part, due to his legal background. We needed someone who could shepard us through willThe NCAA sanctions and that brought us Mark Coyle who had experience with the same, during his tenure at Boise. He also had experience with hiring a football coach and working at a university with a quality football program.

Mark Coyle accomplished what he was brought in to do. The Dino Babers hire will pay dividends well into the future. The NCAA sanctions (as bad as they were for the limited amount of violations) are what they are.

Now we have different needs:

• Upgrading the Dome.
  • Filling the Dome for football.
  • Supporting Dino Babers as he builds the program.
  • Raising the profile of our brand.
  • Fund raising for the Dome and other future needs.
(let's not get caught up in this list above, as others may have differing opinions)

Having an alum with the experience and gravitas of a
Nick Carparelli makes sense, at this time.

Nick Carparelli9156549-large.jpg

But Mad, I've read his LinkedIn profile. What else is there?!

For clarification purposes, the reference to the LinkedIn profile was made only after a number of prominent SU alums announced publicly that Nick would be a great candidate.

We are okay with the NCAA stuff now. The next AD needs to be able to handle the Dome and Football.

Basketball will be fine as long as Jim Boeheim stays coaching. We need the next AD to be a FB guy. Carparelli would seem to have a lot of support. Nobody is going to be universally agreed upon but this guy would be a Syracuse guy and wouldn't likely jump for another P5 AD job. Since Dino Babers isn't going to be replaced in the next 2 years and Mike Hopkins whether it is likely or not has a contract to be the next SU BB the AD wouldn't have to worry about the 2 revenue sports.

I really hope this guy is on the shortlist.

(Strong) opinion.
An opinion has to be based on something. A strong opinion has to be based on something substantial. A strong negative opinion has to be based on something substantially bad. To insinuate that, without presenting any evidence, is not right, IMH(S)O.

Yeah, why?

He checks all the boxes in a pretty big way and actually wants the job.
I want the job too, so that doesn't matter.

maybe because he helped the bigeast so immensely...that not 1 of their former 15 schools even offered him a 'consulting' job and instead hes been doing nothing but selling t-shirts for a few years now??

I want the job too, so that doesn't matter.

maybe because he helped the bigeast so immensely...that not 1 of their former 15 schools even offered him a 'consulting' job and instead hes been doing nothing but selling t-shirts for a few years now??
I bet his job at Under Armour right now is better than working as an assistant commissioner in the American.

Read the tea leaves he is a SU guy who was working in the Big East leadership in their football side. Once Syracuse was leaving the BE his time there was done. People have agendas.

This guy have been to green to be given the job last time since Shafer was on the hot seat. However with the new Fb coach lined up and Boeheim getting Hopkins the SU BB job after him this job is easier now. Especially since the NCAA sanctions are now 5 more lost BB scholarships the next 3 years and 3 years of probation,

Carparelli would have time to grow into the job.

I bet his job at Under Armour right now is better than working as an assistant commissioner in the American.

1. Read the tea leaves he is a SU guy who was working in the Big East leadership in their football side. Once Syracuse was leaving the BE his time there was done. People have agendas.

2. This guy have been to green to be given the job last time since Shafer was on the hot seat. However with the new Fb coach lined up and Boeheim getting Hopkins the SU BB job after him this job is easier now. Especially since the NCAA sanctions are now 5 more lost BB scholarships the next 3 years and 3 years of probation,

3. Carparelli would have time to grow into the job.
1. where is his tshirt stand on Canal St?? ill stop by and ask him

2. that will be true for everybody...and how does being an assoc comm on a failed football conf prepare 1 for being the ATHLETIC DIRECTOR of a P5 school that has such inherent problems as being one of the only private schools playing D1 sports at that level??

3. we don't have time for that. things change depending on how the wind blows at a P5 level. cant afford to have some guy 'growing into the job' here. need to get someone like Babers, who has done it, done it well and done it at multiple spots. 1 obviously, who wont QUIT in 9 months or whatever. in otherwords nothing has changed since we skipped him the last time, we need a current AD who wants to move up to a P5...bu this time, someone who actually wants to work.

Last edited:
1. where is tshirt stand on Canal St, ill stop by and ask him

2. that will be true for everybody...and how does being an assoc comm on a failed football conf prepare 1 for being the ATHLETIC DIRECTOR of a P5 school that has such inherent problems as being one of the only private schools playing D1 sports at that level??

3. we don't have time for that. things change depending on how the wind blows at a P5 level. cant afford to have some guy 'growing into the job' here. need to get someone like Babers, who has done it, done it well and done it at multiple spots. 1 obviously, who wont QUIT in 9 months or whatever. in otherwords nothing has changed since we skipped him the last time, we need a current AD who wants to move up to a P5...bu this time, someone who actually wants to work.

Wasn't Lynn Swan just named AD at another private school - USC?

It seems to me that Nick as far more experience with college athletic administration than does Swan.

In fact, he seems to have substantial college athletic experience - especially college football administrative experience.

I don't know the guy but I do respect the opinion of Mike Tirico - a member of the SU Board of Trustees. If Mike thinks that Nick is a solid candidate - as do Pete Thamel and Sean McDonough - I can't argue with that.

It seems to me that Nick as far more experience with college athletic administration than does Swan.

In fact, he seems to have substantial college athletic experience - especially college football administrative experience.

I don't know the guy but I do respect the opinion of Mike Tirico - a member of the SU Board of Trustees. If Mike thinks that Nick is a solid candidate - as do Pete Thamel and Sean McDonough - I can't argue with that.
I have an equal amount of experience as Swann.

usc has always done it that way.

it seems to me that the 'AD' at usc is there to schmooze alumni into giving them $$, not to actually run the dept.

their football team makes a hell of a lot more $$ than ours does...and Pat Hadyn likely left the dept in a much better position that gross did and NOW...its obviously a Fn HUGE MESS.

I cant imagine anyone who is there now, really wants to be there...other than a few holdovers from the Jake era.

this is not a job for a rookie.

I was on board, but this an absolutely glorious morning...theres not a cloud in the sky, its warm, the mimosas are great and ive come to my senses.

winter hangover is gone.

no to nick.

this job is above his pay grade.

An opinion has to be based on something. A strong opinion has to be based on something substantial. A strong negative opinion has to be based on something substantially bad. To insinuate that, without presenting any evidence, is not right, IMH(S)O.

My opinion is based on something. And much more than reading a LinkedIn profile.

Funny thing is, I don't feel compelled to present evidence on a public Internet forum. This isn't a court of law and feel free to dismiss.

"Hey guys, I heard Jesus Christ himself wants the job."

Guys: "boooooooooo, grumble grumble."

There is literally not one single name that could prevent an argument to some degree.