Night in and Night out... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Night in and Night out...

not much they can do if they get zero touches on offense

JB said it himself, "those guys aren't ready" aka he isn't giving them the ball

he might know more than us, but the offense has been so bad it might be time to try some other things

I would love to see them feed Rak in the post and have CJ and Grant crashing the boards
Good points. When was the last time this year you saw the ball go to the wing, see Rak post up on the blocks, and the ball sent in there so he can make a move? I don't think you can blame the big guys for low offensive production when no plays are run through them at all. In addition, we run the high pick and roll 20 times a game. The guy setting the pick rolls to the basket while his man steps out to double team the ball. The ball never goes to to wide open big guy rolling to the basket. MCW has no trust in making this pass.
I think maybe CJ should start being the guy who sets this pick. At least he is threat if MCW would give him the ball when he is rolling off the pick to the basket.

Good points. When was the last time this year you saw the ball go to the wing, see Rak post up on the blocks, and the ball sent in there so he can make a move? I don't think you can blame the big guys for low offensive production when no plays are run through them at all. In addition, we run the high pick and roll 20 times a game. The guy setting the pick rolls to the basket while his man steps out to double team the ball. The ball never goes to to wide open big guy rolling to the basket. MCW has no trust in making this pass.
I think maybe CJ should start being the guy who sets this pick. At least he is threat if MCW would give him the ball when he is rolling off the pick to the basket.
exactly

The only points out of the center yesterday was a put back, and this is a whole different issue we need to rebound better, but you can't complain if they aren't getting the ball..

Rakeem is probably the best FT shooting big we have had in a long long time but he will attempt the fewest FTs of them all

Is it just me or does MCW waive off the pick and roll a lot. I think he just is not good at it.

you complete missed my whole post, good effort though

Wrong. I actually completely understood your post, and agree with it all.

My response was aimed at the second part about the guys being ready. We are actually in agreement here. I'm just sick of the "guys aren't ready".

Moral of the story- we need to feed the post, regardless of how "ready" (whatever that means) they are.

Moral of the story- we need to feed the post, regardless of how "ready"

we can't feed the post until defenses stop collapsing into the paint.and they won't stop collapsing into the paint until we prove we can make outside shots. the moral of the story is we need to make threes.

To be fair, playing the pivot in a zone is extremely difficult. You are left on an island quite often, where you have to decide whether to guard a guy who gets under the free throw line (and be out of position for a rebound), or protect the rim/guys behind you. I can't say we've had very many who were impressive down there. You almost just need to have like a whirling dirvesh down there, like Nerlens. Just someone to cause havoc and make guys nervous about bringing weak sauce in the paint.
There were a lot of times earlier in the game where we collapsed well, and stopped the first stop. Then we didn't get the rebound and Pitt kept getting it and finally put it in. This has been common throughout the year.

exactly

The only points out of the center yesterday was a put back, and this is a whole different issue we need to rebound better, but you can't complain if they aren't getting the ball..

Rakeem is probably the best FT shooting big we have had in a long long time but he will attempt the fewest FTs of them all

Is it just me or does MCW waive off the pick and roll a lot. I think he just is not good at it.
I guess I misunderstood you then

we do agree then

just look at Noel, a lot of people on this board were laughing at him, now look at how far he has come. JB is worried too much about winning games in November and December to develop guys.

I can think of pairs of centers that were much better. Most SU teams didn't carry three centers. Bouie/Schayes. Call me crazy but I'd take Forth/McNeal over Raq/BMK. Bottom line though is we have had numerous centers that were better than either BMK or Raq. Bouie, Schayes, Hawkins, Conrad Mac, jackson, Melo just a few off the top of my head.
Leron Ellis, Otis Hill, damned even JB Reafsnyder.

really. i said three. who all saw significant court time during the same season. name three. simple.
do your homework .lack of production at the 5 isn't a talent issue. most teams would kill for these guys.

I guess I misunderstood you then

we do agree then

just look at Noel, a lot of people on this board were laughing at him, now look at how far he has come. JB is worried too much about winning games in November and December to develop guys.

Noel has improved dramatically in his short stint. Certainly Rak isn't as gifted as Noel but jeez he's athletic as any big we've had in a long time. Rak has had an additional year and still we wait. I don't know what his problem is so I definitely don't know the answer. Whatever we're teaching is not sinking in. lol.

really. i said three. who all saw significant court time during the same season. name three. simple.
do your homework .lack of production at the 5 isn't a talent issue. most teams would kill for these guys.

Who cares abou three? Right now we have two and when we did have three that guy was averaging about 5 minutes a game. Way too early to dismiss Coleman but if you're looking for serious production from the other two then you're going to be sorely disappointed. I am not sure it's fair to place much of the blame on the coaching or on other teammates.

didn't castoff dash riley block 6 shots against us. coaching??? looked like okafer against us.

SU is a place for offensive guards and small forwards. Everything else is just window dressing really...apart from a few outliers.

didn't castoff dash riley block 6 shots against us. coaching??? looked like okafer against us.
Deshonte Riley is averaging 3.6 ppg, 6 rebounds per game and 2.3 blocks per game as a 4th year junior. He is 7-ft tall. And he's playing in the MAC.

SU is a place for offensive guards and small forwards. Everything else is just window dressing really...apart from a few outliers.
You're right JB has always been about guards above everything else . Thats his MO. I was thinking along those lines somewhat watching ND tonite and thinking you'' never see 3 Billy Celucks playing for us in the 7 man rotation, and they do it every year. That's their MO.

0 rebounds in the 1st half from our centers.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

0 rebounds in the 1st half from our centers.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

No issue with that at all.

Just watching the game, XMas and Keita were both doing a nice job of challenging shots, and they weren't missing boards. CJ cleaned up as a result. We play a zone, sometimes the numbers lie.

You're right JB has always been about guards above everything else . Thats his MO. I was thinking along those lines somewhat watching ND tonite and thinking you'' never see 3 Billy Celucks playing for us in the 7 man rotation, and they do it every year. That's their MO.

I wish Billy Celuck could have cleaned the glass like Cooley! We might have been on to something...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom