Nike schools pay too | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Nike schools pay too

Let's review this one more time. The Federal government didn't care about college basketball recruiting until an on-going white collar crime case expanded to include bribes paid to college basketball coaches. They did not target Addidas over Nike, Addidas was dropped into their lap. If the target of the white collar crime case had been working with Nike/Under Armour/Puma/etc., they would have gone after them instead of Addidas. The FBI specifically told the NCAA to stay out of their way until the trials were finished. They are now finished and the NCAA has received all the materials that were presented at the trail. Sean Miller, who was mentioned in the transcripts of the wiretaps, has been notified by the NCAA that he is under investigation. Those investigations don't happen overnight.

Now as far as the NCAA and their turning a blind eye to everything is concerned - Don't you think that if rumors are circulating on the Web that School X is paying Player Y that the NCAA has heard about it, too? The big difference is, we can say anything we want on the multitude of message boards, but the NCAA can't say anything until someone rats out School X and gives them the evidence. Apparently everyone in the process, players, their families, booster, coaches, and fans would rather just curse under their breath and on message boards than do something that would really stop the cheating.

How fast would the judge rule in School X's favor in the inevitable lawsuit because the NCAA put them on probation and took away scholarships because they saw "a posting on School Z's fan message board that School X had paid Player Y?

I normally like your posts(and even team, compared to Duke and UNC), but haven't noticed you as much this season. Anyhow, beIng you're not a Cuse fan, I dont expect you to be sensitive about what the NCAA can find in 9 years of investigation. Simmer down.

That’s ugly! Why did our name cross his lips?

Nike promising our guys summer jobs at the Utica YMCA. Thx Phil!!
Thamel's name is on the byline.

Re-read that. Think of the other 2 schools besides us. Tell me you’re not worried.
I am not worried it’s Thamel and Forde.
Forde has a stick up his butt against Syracuse he takes every cheap he can every time and Thamel hates his Alma mater or overcompensates in being critical.
JB hasn’t paid for recruits.

Impossible. In this world of college basketball. which is a playground for shady deals, we have never bent the rules while everyone else does.

Impossible. In this world of college basketball. which is a playground for shady deals, we have never bent the rules while everyone else does.
I am sure we have done stuff but I really don’t think JB would pay a kid X dollars to sign a kid. Would he buy the current kids a dinner on the road sure and I am sure all coaches do that stuff even though it’s a technically a violation.
I don’t see Syracuse paying Tyus Battle of Malachi Richardson to get their commitments though.
We haven’t been recruiting the top 10 kids for a while now and those are prime candidates for pay to play.

I am not worried it’s Thamel and Forde.
Forde has a stick up his butt against Syracuse he takes every cheap he can every time and Thamel hates his Alma mater or overcompensates in being critical.
JB hasn’t paid for recruits.

If someone were to punch each of those guys in the mouth, I would celebrate wildly.

We lost Bazley because he wanted to get paid, and we haven’t gotten anybody else.

I’m not worried. We haven’t even had a future NBA kid on the roster the last couple years.

I am sure we have done stuff but I really don’t think JB would pay a kid X dollars to sign a kid. Would he buy the current kids a dinner on the road sure and I am sure all coaches do that stuff even though it’s a technically a violation.
I don’t see Syracuse paying Tyus Battle of Malachi Richardson to get their commitments though.
We haven’t been recruiting the top 10 kids for a while now and those are prime candidates for pay to play.

Fair enough.

I just try to distance myself from any shenanigans discussion as I just expect them to happen even if they are at different levels. I don't doubt others are operating at a different level

College basketball is a love-hate relationship with me. I take it for what it is at its face value, which is an interesting sport to follow throughout a year where there is certainly some passion and entertainment (and the odd rock fight). But I dislike all the shadiness starting with the "Student Athletes" which I don't ignore the issue of, but then the recruiting part I just accept.

We lost Bazley because he wanted to get paid, and we haven’t gotten anybody else.

I’m not worried. We haven’t even had a future NBA kid on the roster the last couple years.

I agree with the last 5 years or so, but with the NCAA there doesn't seem to be a statute of limitations and it wouldn't surprise me if they decided to drag us through the mud for a free Heidds Hot Dog given to Dave Bing on his unofficial recruiting visit.

What kind of idiot would make the statement, "It doesn't matter if it's 1 or 100,000 dollars". The amount of Benjamin's are the only thing that does matter. Complete shill work to cover up for the real offenders.

Someone must’ve stocked the Scranton coal mines with cubic zirconium. Here I thought Gerry was finding real diamonds.

I agree with the last 5 years or so, but with the NCAA there doesn't seem to be a statute of limitations and it wouldn't surprise me if they decided to drag us through the mud for a free Heidds Hot Dog given to Dave Bing on his unofficial recruiting visit.

February is "Buy One Get One Free" month at Heids. Not a violation.

Thamel blocked me on Twitter because I tweeted to him nothing he says about Syracuse is remotely accurate since his buddy Doc Gross was fired.
Unfortunately, he wasn't summarily fired.
He hung around with some phony baloney job at the Chancellor's (at least partial) doing apparently until he could find something else.
THAT is the biggest shame of the entire "scandal".

I've heard it suggested that the Bazley situation was all about the Benjamins.
Obviously they didn't flow from Syracuse.

Duke and Kentucky are the obvious schools to watch.
Nothing will ever happen to Duke. They've already had many a transgression that would've put SU or my school on probation with a loss of scholarships. But they got off Scot free.
From Syracuse.com
1. Corey Maggette taking money from a booster (and now I think a sexual assault investigation)
2. Chris Duhon's mom getting an un-posted job from a booster
3. Lance Thomas got a $68K loan from a jeweler
4. Zion Williamson apparently was selling himself to the highest bidder. Did he go to Duke out of the goodness of his heart? This one is my take on him. It'll never be looked into.

Unfortunately, he wasn't summarily fired.
He hung around with some phony baloney job at the Chancellor's (at least partial) doing apparently until he could find something else.
THAT is the biggest shame of the entire "scandal".

I've heard it suggested that the Bazley situation was all about the Benjamins.
Obviously they didn't flow from Syracuse.
He knew too much.

Wait so does this mean Nike and Adidas are paying players? Is this possibly true? I am shocked. Next I'm going to read that baseball players took steroids....

Now as far as the NCAA and their turning a blind eye to everything is concerned - Don't you think that if rumors are circulating on the Web that School X is paying Player Y that the NCAA has heard about it, too? The big difference is, we can say anything we want on the multitude of message boards, but the NCAA can't say anything until someone rats out School X and gives them the evidence. Apparently everyone in the process, players, their families, booster, coaches, and fans would rather just curse under their breath and on message boards than do something that would really stop the cheating.

This is a big part of what's so maddening about it - it's all an open secret. Literally the week before the story about the FBI investigation came out I was talking to a friend of mine - a huge Michigan St. fan - and listing crooked programs for him, including the obvious Duke and Kentucky but also Michigan St., Arizona, Kansas, Seton Hall, LSU, Ohio State (at least under Matta), NC State, and Auburn. He didn't believe me - especially the MSU part. The next week most were named in the investigation. If a nobody like me know this, the NCAA certainly does. But they have no interest in upsetting the apple cart unless they are embarrassed into it.

What kind of idiot would make the statement, "It doesn't matter if it's 1 or 100,000 dollars". The amount of Benjamin's are the only thing that does matter. Complete shill work to cover up for the real offenders.
This is the fundamental flaw in Forde/Thamel's reporting: because sneaker companies hand out swag and dangle endorsement money, ipso facto every school with a sneaker deal is corrupt. FALSE. Typical Yahoo sensationalism.

This is the fundamental flaw in Forde/Thamel's article: because sneaker companies hand out swag and dangle endorsement money in front of recruits and players, ipso facto every school with a sneaker deal is corrupt. Irresponsible overgeneralization.
That is exactly my point. He is paid to run this interference. IMHO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom