NIT comment | Syracusefan.com

NIT comment

SBU72

All Conference
I really dislike these comments from "fans" who won't support the team during their NIT play. They say its not worthy of them. Its beneath SU to play in it. Bull. Do you not watch the preseason games because they don't count? Do you not watch a lot of the OOC games because it is against "inferior" competition? Don't you think that the players deserve your support just because they are SU students? I'm not even an alumni and I certainly do. These are additional opportunities to cheer for and thank the players, coaches and the rest of the staff. And being a #1 seed, their games will be on campus, where the team has been better. So if the general public doesn't want to come and watch, then the students at least should. And if you call yourself a fan and participate on this forum and usually go to the games, you should to. Stop your whining about the NCAA. Cheer for YOUR TEAM!

I really dislike these comments from "fans" who won't support the team during their NIT play. They say its not worthy of them. Its beneath SU to play in it. Bull. Do you not watch the preseason games because they don't count? Do you not watch a lot of the OOC games because it is against "inferior" competition? Don't you think that the players deserve your support just because they are SU students? I'm not even an alumni and I certainly do. These are additional opportunities to cheer for and thank the players, coaches and the rest of the staff. And being a #1 seed, their games will be on campus, where the team has been better. So if the general public doesn't want to come and watch, then the students at least should. And if you call yourself a fan and participate on this forum and usually go to the games, you should to. Stop your whining about the NCAA. Cheer for YOUR TEAM!
apples and ORANGES.

preseason games are useless and stupid, but are a bridge to what matters...like "a lot of the OOC games" on the way to the conference slate and ultimately...the only thing that matters...the NCAA Tournament.

players don't come to Syracuse to play in the NIT.

fans don't watch Syracuse in hopes they play in the NIT.

when the Yankees don't make the playoffs, they don't send the team to Scranton to get more games in.

its over.

post season plays invaluable added experience for young players. I'm all for it.

The NIT, for a team like us, is more pointless than preseason.

I'd rather we not even play in it. 80% of our rotation won't be back next year. Battle and Thompson don't need this tournament.

Agreed, were Syracuse not St. Bonaventure. We measure our seasons by how we do in the NCAA tourney not the NIT. I would rather get blasted by 35 in the play in game by Gtown then win the NIT. The NIT is like having a losers bracket for teams who don't make the playoffs. Its pretty much pointless, I don't even know why its around.

post season plays invaluable added experience for young players. I'm all for it.
true . i like the idea if you have a young squad . but i just wish we had some young talent to develop . probably not a lot of guys playing in these games for us are coming back. not really helping anyone.

Agreed, were Syracuse not St. Bonaventure. We measure our seasons by how we do in the NCAA tourney not the NIT. I would rather get blasted by 35 in the play in game by Gtown then win the NIT. The NIT is like having a losers bracket for teams who don't make the playoffs. Its pretty much pointless, I don't even know why its around.
I can see having it around for the smaller conferences but teams like us should just decline.

after playing the dooks, north Carolinas, louisvilles and notredames, im sure Thompson and Battle are anxiously awaiting this great learning experience v Greensboro...

How about Georgia/Indiana/Clemson/California/BYU/Alabama?

There's teams of lower/mid ACC calibre in there. Also, it's not like UNC Greensboro's just another run of the mill cupcake.

tsquare , howard and possibly battle benefit ? i say play the games but don't see it as a development tool.

apples and ORANGES.

preseason games are useless and stupid, but are a bridge to what matters...like "a lot of the OOC games" on the way to the conference slate and ultimately...the only thing that matters...the NCAA Tournament.

players don't come to Syracuse to play in the NIT.

fans don't watch Syracuse in hopes they play in the NIT.

when the Yankees don't make the playoffs, they don't send the team to Scranton to get more games in.

its over.

So you won't watch Syracuse football in a bowl game unless it's the CFP?

Doing things that would bring negative attention to the program cannot help it, especially in the wake of the sanctions applied the last few years. Those two things could only hurt recruiting efforts, and that's not territory we need to invite on ourselves. Whining can't help either. So our best move is to show some respect for the game, suck it up and play hard.

Its not about supporting anyone. The NIT sucks. Period. We have been to 6 final fours. Most of these players have experienced the NCAA tournament, some on the highest level. Playing in the NIT against inferior competition will NOT help our guys. I never liked that argument. I will watch and root because its Syracuse but am not going to live or die with every game.

Doing things that would bring negative attention to the program cannot help it, especially in the wake of the sanctions applied the last few years. Those two things could only hurt recruiting efforts, and that's not territory we need to invite on ourselves. Whining can't help either. So out best move is to show some respect for the game, suck it up and play hard.
^^^This

Doing things that would bring negative attention to the program cannot help it, especially in the wake of the sanctions applied the last few years. Those two things could only hurt recruiting efforts, and that's not territory we need to invite on ourselves. Whining can't help either. So out best move is to show some respect for the game, suck it up and play hard.

If Syracuse declined the invitation, nobody would care. If Syracuse loses by 50 tomorrow night, there will be a snark about how Greensboro beat JB, but that's it.

The midnight madness preseason game means more than this

Last edited:
I don't see it that way at all. I'd rather establish that this program does not play in the NIT. This isn't a losing culture that accepts playing in some joke of a tournament that nobody cares about.

Our players should know that it's NCAA or bust (why this even has to be said is sad on so many levels)

If Syracuse declined the invitation, nobody would care. If Syracuse looses by 50 tomorrow night, there will be a snark about how Greensboro beat JB, but that's it.

The midnight madness preseason game means more than this

The NCAA would care. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe nobody has ever declined to play in it. We don't need that kind of negative association with the program. Parents and coaches will tell their kids "Don't bother with the drama-fest that is SU."

The nail that rises up gets hammered down.

Its not about supporting anyone. The NIT sucks. Period. We have been to 6 final fours. Most of these players have experienced the NCAA tournament, some on the highest level. Playing in the NIT against inferior competition will NOT help our guys. I never liked that argument. I will watch and root because its Syracuse but am not going to live or die with every game.

This X 1000

The NIT is like having a losers bracket for teams who don't make the playoffs. Its pretty much pointless, I don't even know why its around.

It isn't like a losers bracket, it IS the losers bracket. It's around for $$$

The season is over, time to countdown for the Cent. Conn game.

WOW! I can't believe some of these comments. Yes, we all wanted to be in the NCAA. Agree, the NIT for a stellar program like us is hard to take. However, the team has decided to play and hopefully will get our support. For me, being an avid fan for 35 years, I get to watch some more SU hoops to help me get through the last part of winter. Here's hoping they play with some enthusiasm and not just go through the motions. LGO

You're right, it's potentially 5 games. I can't believe some of you aren't seeing the benefits of accepting the bid.

Other than PT for TB and TT, who else on the team does it benefit?

JG, TH, DC, TL, AW3, TR are all gone.

Let Hopkins coach, have DC3 play the point. Just have fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom