NIT comment | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

NIT comment

I will watch the NIT on TV and will go to the games if my schedule permits but I will not get upset at bad ref calls, I will not throw anything and I will not wake up the next day with a pit in my stomach. I actually like being able to watch an SU game without having to worry about it.

Its pretty much pointless, I don't even know why its around.

Many years ago the NIT was the effective national championship. But as the game grew more popular, the NCAA began running its own post season tournament. I believe the NCAA owns the tournament now because there was the rumor of a lawsuit against the NCAA for being a monopoly, or in unfair restraint of trade, or something like that.

The NIT is like taking your sister to the prom because you couldn't find an actual date.
Actually around here, a lot of kids go without dates just for the fun of it. Dressing up for a big party. What is wrong with that.

I think it benefits those players who will probably not play high level basketball after this...it gives them at least one more game to play with their teammates and enjoy some additional time with them...The only player that may make it to the NBA is TL, maybe AW3...but the rest are pretty much done, especially DC...

WOW! I can't believe some of these comments. Yes, we all wanted to be in the NCAA. Agree, the NIT for a stellar program like us is hard to take. However, the team has decided to play and hopefully will get our support. For me, being an avid fan for 35 years, I get to watch some more SU hoops to help me get through the last part of winter. Here's hoping they play with some enthusiasm and not just go through the motions. LGO

No one is advocating we not support the team, I am sure Kaiser, Dan and others aren't rooting for SU to lose. The issue is that Syracuse is a near blue blood bball program and as such the NCAA tourney is our minimal goal every year and when that goal isn't made many of us have zero interests in a money grab NIT tournament that no one outside of the schools in it give two shiits about. This was a team with 4 seniors coming off a final four season, the fact were in the NIT is a disaster. We have no one to blame but ourselves as others have pointed out but at this point the NIT is beyond pointless. We should have just told the NCAA were not playing, period. The fact we didnt' declare that before the season shouldn't matter. What are they gonna do fine us?

Other than PT for TB and TT, who else on the team does it benefit?

JG, TH, DC, TL, AW3, TR are all gone.

Let Hopkins coach, have DC3 play the point. Just have fun.

Tyus and Taurean NEED to make a sophomore leap and be ready to come out guns a blazing next season. I think they'll find benefit in playing Big 10/SEC/ACC etc. teams rather than waiting months to scrimmage walk ons and freshman.

At this point, I do not care about AW/DC/JG/TR. This tournaments extra game time to figure out potentially avoidable incoming 2017/2018 issues.

Many years ago the NIT was the effective national championship. But as the game grew more popular, the NCAA began running its own post season tournament. I believe the NCAA owns the tournament now because there was the rumor of a lawsuit against the NCAA for being a monopoly, or in unfair restraint of trade, or something like that.

Thanks, I was aware of the history and its current status I just don't understand why the NCAA even bothers as it seems useless in today's day and age. You are correct the NCAA does own it.

In JB's own words "the only thing that matters in a season is the NCCA tournament". The NIT is only about a few $$$. We usually flame out in it anyway. No one want's to be in the NIT.

No one is advocating we not support the team, I am sure Kaiser, Dan and others aren't rooting for SU to lose. The issue is that Syracuse is a near blue blood bball program and as such the NCAA tourney is our minimal goal every year and when that goal isn't made many of us have zero interests in a money grab NIT tournament that no one outside of the schools in it give two shiits about. This was a team with 4 seniors coming off a final four season, the fact were in the NIT is a disaster. We have no one to blame but ourselves as others have pointed out but at this point the NIT is beyond pointless. We should have just told the NCAA were not playing, period. The fact we didnt' declare that before the season shouldn't matter. What are they gonna do fine us?

"Respect the game" is the first rule of basketball.

In JB's own words "the only thing that matters in a season is the NCCA tournament". The NIT is only about a few $$$. We usually flame out in it anyway. No one want's to be in the NIT.

JB's said a lot of arrogant things sprinkled with truths.

It's honestly unbelievable some of you see no benefit in playing other p5 teams. We have freshman on this team that need every second of experience they can get in order to potentially make 2017/2018 a success story.

Its not about supporting anyone. The NIT sucks. Period. We have been to 6 final fours. Most of these players have experienced the NCAA tournament, some on the highest level. Playing in the NIT against inferior competition will NOT help our guys. I never liked that argument. I will watch and root because its Syracuse but am not going to live or die with every game.

2 out of last 3 years no Dance, but hey...2 final fours in past 4 years! :)

after playing the dooks, north Carolinas, louisvilles and notredames, im sure Thompson and Battle are anxiously awaiting this great learning experience v Greensboro...

If you think athletes don't wanna compete every chance they have then I would hazard a guess you've never been an athlete.

Thanks, I was aware of the history and its current status I just don't understand why the NCAA even bothers as it seems useless in today's day and age. You are correct the NCAA does own it.

Although I don't know for certain, I'm pretty sure that every member school in the NCAA signs an agreement/contract with the NCAA. And I'll bet one of the clauses in the agreement has language stating that all schools accept rules and responsibilities and participate in events like this in good faith.

If you think athletes don't wanna compete every chance they have then I would hazard a guess you've never been an athlete.

You'd think...but then that St. John's game happened, and, in the Dome of all places. Pitt losing by 50 something to UL...so, there goes your theory on that...it certainly happens.

Please name 1 "blue blood" b-ball team that has not played in the NIT. UNC did just a few years ago. Kentucky did in 2013 with a top 2 recruiting class AND LOST in the first round. Two of their freshmen, 4 guys in all left so they did not even use the experience for Kentucky. Not playing in the NIT or decrying it is elitist and SU hasn't proved they are even at the level of UNC or Kentucky to be elitist!

Like we did in 1997 in the NIT? aka the worst game ever to be played in the Dome.

Look I am sure they will play hard but lets not kid ourselves. This is not going to be an 100% balls to the wall effort in this event. If you think so then you are kidding yourself.

Please name 1 "blue blood" b-ball team that has not played in the NIT. UNC did just a few years ago. Kentucky did in 2013 with a top 2 recruiting class AND LOST in the first round. Two of their freshmen, 4 guys in all left so they did not even use the experience for Kentucky. Not playing in the NIT or decrying it is elitist and SU hasn't proved they are even at the level of UNC or Kentucky to be elitist!

Thank you. This "too cool for school" NIT bashing is ridiculous. Give these kids a way to still compete and go out on a high note. We were a mediocre ACC team this year with a barely over 500 record . The NIT is not "beneath us" this year.

Thank you. This "too cool for school" NIT bashing is ridiculous. Give these kids a way to still compete and go out on a high note. We were a mediocre ACC team this year with a barely over 500 record . The NIT is not "beneath us" this year.

Was it Bill Parcells who said, "Sooner or later you are who your record says you are." Our reality is that we are an NIT team this year.

How do you reconcile "I'm not a fair-weather fan" with "I'm not watching the NIT?"

I know that sentence will offend people, but those two things are in direct conflict with one another.

Syracuse is your team, watch the NIT.

Like we did in 1997 in the NIT? aka the worst game ever to be played in the Dome.

Look I am sure they will play hard but lets not kid ourselves. This is not going to be an 100% balls to the wall effort in this event. If you think so then you are kidding yourself.

I'd hope not. If I had it my way we'd start Howard/Battle/White/Thompson/Lydon every game we play this tournament. Not because it's the best lineup, its not, but it gives 4 potential 2017/2018 players the ability to practice against possible p5 competition.

We're not too good to take advantage of this opportunity.

If these players want to salvage (at least a little bit) this horrendously disappointing season -- play your butts off and win the NIT. At least that's something.

"We're Syracuse. We're too good to play in the NIT. I'm not going to watch it."

nyah nyah nyah.gif

If we go out and knock off five quality teams and win this thing, we will feel MUCH better about the trajectory of this program than if we lay an egg against Greensboro.

I understand the kids disappointment and I am unsure who is to blame. My feeling is that we had kids who came in unaware of the complexities of the zone. I think the staff was looking for that quick fix and on paper we looked like a complete team when White signed. The problem I saw was the 5th year players didn't know what they were getting into when they played our zone. Its too bad they don't have one more year as I think we would be such a better team. I think Moyer, Thompson, Battle, Washington, and one of the freshman will start next year. I really don't expect to have Lydon back and I have a feeling Chaqwau is done for his career which will leave us thin at center. These next few years will be challenging, but I think we will reach where we need to be in 2018.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom