NIT comment | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

NIT comment

Please name 1 "blue blood" b-ball team that has not played in the NIT. UNC did just a few years ago. Kentucky did in 2013 with a top 2 recruiting class AND LOST in the first round. Two of their freshmen, 4 guys in all left so they did not even use the experience for Kentucky. Not playing in the NIT or decrying it is elitist and SU hasn't proved they are even at the level of UNC or Kentucky to be elitist!

Kentucky was only in it because Noel blew out his knee and in that game it was obvious those guys were going through the motion which is why they lost to Robert Morris.

Please name 1 "blue blood" b-ball team that has not played in the NIT. UNC did just a few years ago. Kentucky did in 2013 with a top 2 recruiting class AND LOST in the first round. Two of their freshmen, 4 guys in all left so they did not even use the experience for Kentucky. Not playing in the NIT or decrying it is elitist and SU hasn't proved they are even at the level of UNC or Kentucky to be elitist!
Georgetown of all schools declined an NIT bid in 2002. | The Michigan Daily

How do you reconcile "I'm not a fair-weather fan" with "I'm not watching the NIT?"

I know that sentence will offend people, but those two things are in direct conflict with one another.

Syracuse is your team, watch the NIT.

I don't recall people saying there not going to watch it only that they don't really care about it and would prefer we had just declined it. I will watch because as a diehard I have to and I never root for my team to lose but I still hate the NIT and won't shed one tear if we lose.

please.

do I have to explain??

Well your yankees example was terrible. That is apples and oranges. Two completely different things. College football bowls and the NIT are way more on par. I'm not saying the NIT doesn't suck or that I would ever want to be in it over the NCAA tournament, but you're not even going to watch? Give me a break.

Well your yankees example was terrible. That is apples and oranges. Two completely different things. College football bowls and the NIT are way more on par. I'm not saying the NIT doesn't suck or that I would ever want to be in it over the NCAA tournament, but you're not even going to watch? Give me a break.
where did I say that?

football bowls and the NIT are not equal.

the bowls ARE the tournament.

something more on par would be if at the end of the year, the teams who don't make a bowl game...schedule each other.

and if Syracuse did do that, and say they played at Rutgers..id go.

but I would do so with the knowledge that I was Fn stoopid for doing so, but knowing that this WAS beneficial to a lot of the kids on the team.

its just not the case for the Syracuse hoop team.

I've watched ex-Cuse alums + random other guys play in TBT, and enjoyed it immensely.

I am DEFINITELY going to watch us play in the NIT.

If it wasn't going to be a blizzard tomorrow, I probably would have gone up to the game, since, as another poster so astutely pointed out - you can sit in REALLY GOOD SEATS like a bigwig for very little coin.

What game did we advance to after we won the 2013 Texas Bowl?
giphy.gif

where did I say that?

football bowls and the NIT are not equal.

the bowls ARE the tournament.

something more on par would be if at the end of the year, the teams who don't make a bowl game...schedule each other.

and if Syracuse did do that, and say they played at Rutgers..id go.

but I would do so with the knowledge that I was Fn stoopid for doing so, but knowing that this WAS beneficial to a lot of the kids on the team.

its just not the case for the Syracuse hoop team.

Sorry. Your "its over" comment implied you weren't watching.

The bowls are not the tournament lol. If you aren't in the CFP "it's over". You're playing the same level of meaningful game as the NIT. Except it's 1. Not (possibly) 5.

So TT or Battle or even Lydon can't find benefit in playing these games? Come on

we will feel MUCH better about the trajectory of this program than if we lay an egg against Greensboro.
I think greensboro is being underestimated. They almost beat Wake. A loss is quite possible, especially with a mostly empty dome.

I've watched ex-Cuse alums + random other guys play in TBT, and enjoyed it immensely.

I am DEFINITELY going to watch us play in the NIT.

If it wasn't going to be a blizzard tomorrow, I probably would have gone up to the game, since, as another poster so astutely pointed out - you can sit in REALLY GOOD SEATS like a bigwig for very little coin.

2 in 110, Row CC = $35, that included fees, taxes, etc. Costs more to take her to a movie. Whiners can whine, Nor'easters can blow, I'm going to watch my team play in the best seats I've ever had for the least amount of money I've ever spent going to watch them. Choice was easy. Yeah it totally sucks getting snubbed, but I'm still willing to support the kids, same way I supported Grob's 1-11 teams. It was 'over' after 7 losses back then but I still went then, and am still going tomorrow.

I think greensboro is being underestimated. They almost beat Wake. A loss is quite possible, especially with a mostly empty dome.

This will be their national title game, I wouldn't expect anything less.

apples and ORANGES.

preseason games are useless and stupid, but are a bridge to what matters...like "a lot of the OOC games" on the way to the conference slate and ultimately...the only thing that matters...the NCAA Tournament.

players don't come to Syracuse to play in the NIT.

fans don't watch Syracuse in hopes they play in the NIT.

when the Yankees don't make the playoffs, they don't send the team to Scranton to get more games in.

its over.

Because that's how it's done it MLB. In college basketball however, it is understood coming in that if you fail to make the NCAA tournament, you will play in the NIT. CBI or CIT. Of course there is no requirement to play in it, it's just what good sportsmen and good fans do.

I don't understand the elitist attitude of some of the posts here. As a Senior CUSE fan (from Manley zoo days), I will not only watch them in the NIT but very much cheer for them and hope they win it. LGO !! !!!

I don't understand the elitist attitude of some of the posts here. As a Senior CUSE fan (from Manley zoo days), I will not only watch them in the NIT but very much cheer for them and hope they win it. LGO !! !!!

That's what happens when your a big program, I'm sure Georgia Tech or Georgia fans might be a little excited for the Nit, its Ncaa tournament or bust here.

Georgetown of all schools declined an NIT bid in 2002. | The Michigan Daily

LSU declined a bid last year, too. It's not unheard of to decline an NIT bid - it's just a demonstration of a school's classlessness and disrespect for the game.

Everyone is disappointed by an NIT bid - suck it up, go out and compete to the best of your ability. there may not be a whole lot of pride in raising an NIT banner - but just going through the motions (like Kentucky a few years ago, or Syracuse in 1997) or not showing up at all (like LSU) tells me a lot about a team/program...and none of what it tells me is good.

Interesting, thanks for finding that. The article explains the complications the team had to deal with as the MCI center was an NCAA hosting site.

That was before the NCAA owned it. Now you have to inform the NCAA preseason that you will decline a bid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom