No Bowl Game | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

No Bowl Game

If our star player skips a NON PLAYOFF bowl game, how do you feel?

• Happy for him

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • Angry with him

Votes: 32 29.6%
  • It sucks, but I understand

Votes: 63 58.3%
  • Other

Votes: 7 6.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The playoffs don't change the fact that guys could have sat out of meaningless bowl games in the past, I don't think they thought of it. in the past, most bowl games didn't have national title implications.

I guess what I was trying to say was that in the past bowl games meant more than they do today - unless the bowl game is a play-off game.

Since the establishment of the BCS the tradition of the bowls and the importance of the bowls have diminished.

With the advent of the play-offs, bowl games - even games like the Orange Bowl or even the Rose Bowl - are even less important.

And they will become less and less important as the play-offs and their accompanying hype become the focus of outlets like ESPN, which clearly wants simply wants another "Super Bowl" to broadcast.

So, given the present structure of the post-season, I understand why players have less interest in playing in non-play-off bowls.

So, we're all OK with Lydon skipping the NCAA's to get ready for the NBA Draft?

A little difference, the Sun Bowl != the NCAAs.

...and I think I'd be ok with Lydon skipping the NIT if he felt his draft spot was wrapped up. I'd suggest if we are in the NIT, Lydon wouldn't have a good draft spot to begin, but that's beyond the point.

...and I think I'd be ok with Lydon skipping the NIT if he felt his draft spot was wrapped up. I'd suggest if we are in the NIT, Lydon wouldn't have a good draft spot to begin, but that's beyond the point.

I think half the board will skip the NIT. ;)

Yep, this example would be him skipping the NIT, not the big dance.

Doesn't mean I like it, but that's a more appropriate comparison.

has anyone done a study on how many of the kids who get injured during a career had a huge drop in expected draft value in fball vs bball or other sports? how many got hurt in the last 2-3 games and bowls? I'm sure there are some every year but i think its less than 1-5%. kids get hurt lifting and running too just trying to prepare for the combines.

even the highly thought of kids face long odds to stay in the pros even if they get there.. they never get back not playing that final game.

some kids also get hurt, get drafted and have great careers.. its a tough sport.

According to ESPN's Darren Rovell, Leonard Fournette's insurance policy is such that if he played in the bowl game and suffered a career-ending injury, he would collect a tax-free payment of $10,000,000.

Play the game, sweetheart.
Career ending is the key. If he made a team as an undrafted FA, he doesn't collect a dime.

What could a school do to prevent this? Could a school predicate a scholarship on playing in a bowl? Would that discourage interest from star players?

What could a school do to prevent this?
Not much/nothing.
If anything were to be done it would be on a conference-wide or P5-wide basis.

Could a school predicate a scholarship on playing in a bowl?
How? The player has basically stated, "My playing career is over."
I don't know how many classes that players fixated on the NFL still take.
They typically head off to a training facility to prepare for the combine.

The only quick thing a school could do is to withhold further access to the athletic facilities, including their Pro Day. However, as I've indicated in a previous post, there could be negative consequences for the school going forward that would be embarrassing.

Not much/nothing.

The only quick thing a school could do is to withhold further access to the athletic facilities, including their Pro Day. However, as I've indicated in a previous post, there could be negative consequences for the school going forward that would be embarrassing.
I think it's embarrassing when a school's best players pull a Kramer.

Disappointed and would think it's telling of his competitor spirit and love for the game.

Can't be angry though, its his life's goal.

I think it's embarrassing when a school's best players pull a Kramer.

Don't see how it's embarrassing. There's not a single school that could keep a star player from leaving and going into the NFL for a huge 1st round draft bonus and a million plus per year paycheck.

Career ending is the key. If he made a team as an undrafted FA, he doesn't collect a dime.

Yeah... Career ending is a lot different than career altering as well. Jaylon Smith lost a ton of money last year, was it career ending? No, but it defeinitely cost him money and the impact over the next 6-8 years has yet TBD.

I am fine with kids leaving whenever the F they want, Too many people making huge $$ of these kids that don't give a rats ass. Hey, I understand the kids get an education, which is great but if they want to skip the bowl game to prep for the NFL than more power to them.

It's big business and like I said, too many people watching Remember the Titans around here and buying into Shafer " for the love of the game" crap. , do What you want, if dude blows out his knee or worse, he will tossed out like yesterday's bacon egg and cheese and hacks like us will saying WHAT ABOUT HIS TEAM!!!! What about the fans!

I don't get it. Why would you play all season long and then decide to not play in the most important game of the season?

Why bother to play at all? Or why not play 6 games and stop there? Or play 10 games and stop?

This is America and people should be able to do what they want. But as a fan of a team, will I be mad if star players do not play in a bowl game?

Yes. I would be mad if the coach decided to sit the bowl game out. I would be mad if Otto decided not to participate too.

Bowl games are already a rip off for fans, and a money loser for many schools. The bowl system is already sick and was hurt a lot by the advent of playoff games.

This is another nail in the coffin for killing many of the bowl games. Maybe it isn't so bad. A lot of mediocre teams go bowling and a lot of the games are so poorly played that they are painful to watch. But I feel for the fans who spend $150 for a ticket, $800 on airfare and $800 on a hotel, then find out that the best players on their team aren't going to bother to play.

I don't think a bowl game is the most important game of the year if you had playoff aspirations. He just exposed it for what it is: an exhibition game.

Not even close to the same thing. NIT? Sure.

exactly. BFD. Who cares

And with stars sitting out it will give a back up real reps that people here rave about for those sought after bowl game practices

Not much/nothing.

and if the school used a heavy hand with the "student-athlete" they would get murdered by the media court of opinion. This worm is turning and public opinion is favoring the players as everyone sees this is about maximizing money for everyone but the players.

I don't think a bowl game is the most important game of the year if you had playoff aspirations. He just exposed it for what it is: an exhibition game.
Each team has goals in the preseason. One of the big ones, especially for struggling programs like ours, is to make it to (and win) a bowl game. It is a carrot that makes playing out the system something worthwhile once eliminated from NC consideration.

Trying to spin a bowl game into an exhibition game is a bit bizarre. I get the jaded, I am cool, don't care about bowl games attitude some have. I don't expect some on the board to understand the importance of bowl games and don't have the time or energy to try and change that.

When players do this, they are directly damaging the bowl system and it is going to lead to many bowl games dying. I like college football, like the bowl games and will miss them when they are gone.

And with stars sitting out it will give a back up real reps that people here rave about for those sought after bowl game practices
Except that the other starters, who contributed to making the star player look good, now have to develop chemistry with the backups. Without any game reps before the bowl. The same block that would've been lauded for leading to a TD might now be ignored when the runner is caught from behind. Or a marginal prospect QB could go from feasting on an 8 in the box D to facing a game plan designed to stop the passing game (or vice versa).

Each team has goals in the preseason. One of the big ones, especially for struggling programs like ours, is to make it to (and win) a bowl game. It is a carrot that makes playing out the system something worthwhile once eliminated from NC consideration.

Trying to spin a bowl game into an exhibition game is a bit bizarre. I get the jaded, I am cool, don't care about bowl games attitude some have. I don't expect some on the board to understand the importance of bowl games and don't have the time or energy to try and change that.

When players do this, they are directly damaging the bowl system and it is going to lead to many bowl games dying. I like college football, like the bowl games and will miss them when they are gone.

I enjoy bowl games too. But players are damaging the bowl system? How about money.

Pitt playing at 2:30 on a Wednesday, Monday at 11AM, Friday at 1, Monday at 2:30... sorry - that's a broken system as is. Way too many bowls.

I agree with you Tom, but I place a lot of the blame on the major schools and ESPN and others trying for trying to cash out on the playoffs.

Last edited:

There is a difference between Syracuse's goals and Stanfords, hence the "playoff aspirations" line in my comment. I think random bowl game is important to all the players, the school, and the fans... just not at the same level as the playoff - and not enough to keep kids with 1st round grades playing no matter what.

I don't think it's spin at all (nor do I think I'm too cool or jaded to appreciate a bowl game or 50)... Maybe "exhibition" is a bit strong. But if it's not the playoff, it's more akin to the NIT than the NCAA's. To me, it's very much like being the champ of the Maui Invitational in MBB, only with less national championship implication.

I think this is very much where the pro $ vs student athlete rubber meets the road. I too wish it weren't a thing, but the disparity in pay is crazy.

I agree with you Tom, but I place a lot of the blame on the major schools and ESPN and others trying on trying to cash out on the playoffs.

Or bowls in general

Yeah... Career ending is a lot different than career altering as well. Jaylon Smith lost a ton of money last year, was it career ending? No, but it defeinitely cost him money and the impact over the next 6-8 years has yet TBD.

I am fine with kids leaving whenever the F they want, Too many people making huge $$ of these kids that don't give a rats ass. Hey, I understand the kids get an education, which is great but if they want to skip the bowl game to prep for the NFL than more power to them.

It's big business and like I said, too many people watching Remember the Titans around here and buying into Shafer " for the love of the game" crap. , do What you want, if dude blows out his knee or worse, he will tossed out like yesterday's bacon egg and cheese and hacks like us will saying WHAT ABOUT HIS TEAM!!!! What about the fans!

yep, is Notre Dame able to write Jaylon Smith a fat check to replace the cash he lost? Would they if they could? Nope, nor can Stanford or LSU do that with CM and LF respectively.