No change is going to occur after this season IMO | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

No change is going to occur after this season IMO

JBA will have nowhere to land so he is here. Jesse opts to stay because JB left. I think Frank stays and we all know Benny is gone.

In a perfect world, 7th/8th guy at 15-20 mpg. Let him jump start the second unit scoring. protect him on the floor with some solid defenders with at least one guard and the other forward being guys that can defend competently so Jimmy can focus on O.

In reality, with no portal additions, and only the frosh and Benny gone, he may have to start again, even with JB gone. I just don't know how protected we can get. Maybe put Frank as the opposite forward to help with D (if he can get his stuff together) and put Sy and Joe up top. That doesn't make me feel great. That means a frosh forward is in the rotation that has to play and we'll need Q to be able to get into the guard rotation. Which maybe he can anyway.

Either way, I think he needs to be about a 15-20 mpg guy at most.

I do think a new coach would bring in at least one portal PG and one portal Wing.

I can find a few older Cuse teams where slotting in Jimmy in the second unit would be really helpful and I think he would be amazing.

Basically, for Jimmy, on a decent Cuse team, 7th / 8th guy being allowed to focus on O and give it his best on D, but be protected. 20 mpg.

In a perfect world, 7th/8th guy at 15-20 mpg. Let him jump start the second unit scoring. protect him on the floor with some solid defenders with at least one guard and the other forward being guys that can defend competently so Jimmy can focus on O.

In reality, with no portal additions, and only the frosh and Benny gone, he may have to start again, even with JB gone. I just don't know how protected we can get. Maybe put Frank as the opposite forward to help with D (if he can get his stuff together) and put Sy and Joe up top. That doesn't make me feel great. That means a frosh forward is in the rotation that has to play and we'll need Q to be able to get into the guard rotation. Which maybe he can anyway.

Either way, I think he needs to be about a 15-20 mpg guy at most.

I do think a new coach would bring in at least one portal PG and one portal Wing.

I can find a few older Cuse teams where slotting in Jimmy in the second unit would be really helpful and I think he would be amazing.

Basically, for Jimmy, on a decent Cuse team, 7th / 8th guy being allowed to focus on O and give it his best on D, but be protected. 20 mpg.

On no planet is Frank a PF. He's BARELY a C, in his 2nd season.

People, PLEASE cease and desist with the Frank at the 4 nonsense.
It. Ain't. Happening.

Bottom line for 22/23......
Buddy/Jimmy/ Cole leave.
The incoming class is thought to be strong...5 new players to join
Jesse, JG, Torrence Anselem and Benny.
A smart coach would take this opportunity to junk the 2-3 zone
and play different defenses. And also run some different offensive sets.
Currently this program is too predictable.
After this season closes at 14-18, Wildhack should meet with JB and discuss what went wrong
in 2022 and what is going to be different in 2022/23.
With all the reno-work done on the dome/athletic facilities, the A.D. cannot afford repeated home games
with less than 17,000 peeps in the seats. It's charitable to say we are becoming a joke as we may be there already. Look at recent win percentage over the last 5 years, look at the players who have left
the program, look at the post game pressers where 1 minute we're told the guys played hard
and then 1 or 2 get thrown under the bus. You think great recruits and their parents
want to come here?
JB built this program but his stubborn ways are tearing it down. If JB refuses to make changes,
then Wildhack has reason to turn...him...loose.

On no planet is Frank a PF. He's BARELY a C, in his 2nd season.

People, PLEASE cease and desist with the Frank at the 4 nonsense.
It. Ain't. Happening.

Hey, I don't want it. I agree with you. But if its the freshman + Joe, Sy, Frank, Jesse, Jimmy... I dunno - crazier things have happened.

Regardless, Frank or not, the point on Jimmy is the big one. Ideally a bench guy 15mpg or so. Instant offense. Not reliant on D.

People have hard on for him because he's long but all video and reports about his defense are that it's terrible. Doesn't matter if we've seen which type of defense, you can use that as an argument because no one can say they have but it's a ridiculous argument to make for someone that seems to not be interested in defense at all. I will be absolutely stunned if he makes an impact as a Freshman. He's not a top 100 kid and it's not like he has played at some random, under the radar places his whole high school career. With the way that he plays I'd bet there's a way better chance he's in JB's doghouse then rotation next year if the old man keeps on plugging along.

I’ve probably watched Q as much if not more than anyone here. While he’s not yet a stud defender, he’s very good and has a lot of potential to be great. He has 2 problems. One is he gambles too much. Two is, like a lot of HS aged kids, he doesn’t always give 100%. But like everyone knows, he’s tall and long for a PG. He has very quick hands and anticipates very well. He’s also strong enough to put body on an offensive player and maintain his balance. He is far from terrible.

I would be surprised if Benny comes back right? Also IMO if Boeheim continues to rail on Jesse I see many programs looking into as a portal addition.

I’ve probably watched Q as much if not more than anyone here. While he’s not yet a stud defender, he’s very good and has a lot of potential to be great. He has 2 problems. One is he gambles too much. Two is, like a lot of HS aged kids, he doesn’t always give 100%. But like everyone knows, he’s tall and long for a PG. He has very quick hands and anticipates very well. He’s also strong enough to put body on an offensive player and maintain his balance. He is far from terrible.

I love his potential. If those are his two main problems, JB can get this kid where he needs to be down the line.

One other thing that you noted, the strength before stepping on campus is a big deal. Having that punch so he can't get bullied is huge.

I love his potential. If those are his two main problems, JB can get this kid where he needs to be down the line the 25% he lasts more than 1 or 2 years before transferring.

One other thing that you noted, the strength before stepping on campus is a big deal. Having that punch so he can't get bullied is huge.
Added a caveat to you your sentence which is the programs largest problem for talented kids we get.

Added a caveat to you your sentence which is the programs largest problem for talented kids we get.

Hey, I get it. You've seen my posts. I'm as frustrated as anyone.

Just trying to find a slice of positivity.

That’s ok. You keep that opinion. I have my opinion and I think the kid will be fantastic here.
I’m going by my own eyes and what I’m reading about him. It’s all good stuff. It’s ok to be optimistic from time to time.

I believe he is severely underrated. You will see next season.
That's what EVERY single person on this board hopes ends up being the case. Generally us building up guys because they committed to the team we care about ends up making things disappointing because they can't live up to those expectations.

Hey, I don't want it. I agree with you. But if its the freshman + Joe, Sy, Frank, Jesse, Jimmy... I dunno - crazier things have happened.

Regardless, Frank or not, the point on Jimmy is the big one. Ideally a bench guy 15mpg or so. Instant offense. Not reliant on D.

The kid I like that doesn’t get talked about much is Brown. A natural 4.

I’ve watched a few of his games this season. He’s been stereotyped as a big rebounder/defender and everyone assumes he’s like Bol on offense. He’s a good rebounder and defender but he’s more than that.

Not a single analyst has even mentioned that the kid is an exceptional passer. He usually isn’t positioned near the basket for Blue Ridge, he’s on the perimeter and they run much of their offense through him. He has great court awareness. He doesn’t dominate the ball or dribble a lot, he gets the ball and zips it to an open teammate often without even putting it on the floor. He has big strong hands and can catch the ball and deliver a pass really well. He often gets about five assists in a game and usually should’ve had more. I can’t even really remember him turning the ball over. Never takes a bad shot either. Very smart, a coach on the floor, he’s directing other kids where to cut or screen even when he doesn’t have the ball. Great outlet passer too, I’ve seen him use a Wes Unseld overhead two-handed pass the length of the floor and put it in a kid’s hands at the other foul line. Just has to flick his wrists to make a long pass.

He will be a big rebounder/defender at one end of the floor and Marek at the offensive end, but without the dribbling to break the press. He could be a great high post big man after he’s at SU for awhile.

Biggest problem will be he’s making a huge jump from his high school competition to the ACC. The teams he goes against are pretty good but not exactly the NIBC teams Bunch goes against. Because his game doesn’t depend on a lot of scoring, I think it translates easier to college than a shooter/scorer’s game does. You never know with anyone, but he could help us next year.

I’ve watched a few of his games this season. He’s been stereotyped as a big rebounder/defender and everyone assumes he’s like Bol on offense. He’s a good rebounder and defender but he’s more than that.

Not a single analyst has even mentioned that the kid is an exceptional passer. He usually isn’t positioned near the basket for Blue Ridge, he’s on the perimeter and they run much of their offense through him. He has great court awareness. He doesn’t dominate the ball or dribble a lot, he gets the ball and zips it to an open teammate often without even putting it on the floor. He has big strong hands and can catch the ball and deliver a pass really well. He often gets about five assists in a game and usually should’ve had more. I can’t even really remember him turning the ball over. Never takes a bad shot either. Very smart, a coach on the floor, he’s directing other kids where to cut or screen even when he doesn’t have the ball. Great outlet passer too, I’ve seen him use a Wes Unseld overhead two-handed pass the length of the floor and put it in a kid’s hands at the other foul line. Just has to flick his wrists to make a long pass.

He will be a big rebounder/defender at one end of the floor and Marek at the offensive end, but without the dribbling to break the press. He could be a great high post big man after he’s at SU for awhile.

Biggest problem will be he’s making a huge jump from his high school competition to the ACC. The teams he goes against are pretty good but not exactly the NIBC teams Bunch goes against. Because his game doesn’t depend on a lot of scoring, I think it translates easier to college than a shooter/scorer’s game does. You never know with anyone, but he could help us next year.

That's huge. People are all about three point shooters and 3 and D guys because they keep thinking the Warriors.

A secondary passer/playmaker is huge. And, if he can board and defend, you can focus him there on defense.

I would love to see a kid like that, that can the draymond role (and please be sure, I mean this in the most 'he is not Draymond, but the spirit of Draymond') where it's the 'everything else' that goes on on the floor.

You mentioned Marek, which is the space I'd be talking about.

That secondary playing making and passing is HUGE.

And, listen, I don't think anyone thinks we're winning a title next year, it's ok if he is a part time player and can work through some mistakes getting used to the level of play.

Aside from passing ability I realize it's not a comp, but this reminds me that one of my all time favorite players is Leo Rautins.

He'll get to 1000 much, much faster and with far less stress if he takes a job at a smaller school.

Don't blame him for wanting to work after seeing how badly some of my relatives have aged since retiring. He has no real hobbies outside of golf and he can't play that 6-9 months out of the year in CNY. But he needs to know that Syracuse basketball has no obligation to be his employer.

I think we need to go big next year and bring back our patented 2-3 zone length.

1- Transfer center... Need to get back to some length up top.
2- Ajak... High energy motor and has shown a willingness to shoot open 3s.
3- Frank... I expect a jump this offseason that turns him into a Roberson like ball handler at the 3.
4- Jesse... He's blocked a tremendous number of corner 3s. Figured he should just be closer to that spot to block even more.
5- Bourama... This assumes he can get his 9th year and his health allows it.

Bench- Symir, JG3, the 5 freshmen. I think all 7 get some run off the bench.

This of course assumes Buddy, Jimmy, and Cole move on.

I think we need to go big next year and bring back our patented 2-3 zone length.

1- Transfer center... Need to get back to some length up top.
2- Ajak... High energy motor and has shown a willingness to shoot open 3s.
3- Frank... I expect a jump this offseason that turns him into a Roberson like ball handler at the 3.
4- Jesse... He's blocked a tremendous number of corner 3s. Figured he should just be closer to that spot to block even more.
5- Bourama... This assumes he can get his 9th year and his health allows it.

Bench- Symir, JG3, the 5 freshmen. I think all 7 get some run off the bench.

This of course assumes Buddy, Jimmy, and Cole move on.

Maybe we can convince Victor Wembanyama to come play college ball for a year and be PG.

The Portal changes how you coach today's athletes... Hamilton at Florida St gets it... kids want to be in the rotation... Boehiem isn't going to change which is why he should step away

Agreed. The idea that we're going to magically land a bunch of impact portal guys is a fantasy. If you can't get impact freshmen why would impact transfers come here when they have better choices? The same negatives and negative recruiting apply to both.

The only way we'll get better is to develop the talent that does come here. But that doesn't work if the coach insists on running them down every chance he gets.

This is a bigger concern IMO. Of course, we haven't really been able to test this recently because the rosters have been so strangely constructed.

Well, between his post-game press conferences and his rotations, he's chased off a lot of players who might have grown into really good players for us. But those guys never stay around - and don't tell me it's just players today, or the portal, because other blue blood schools seem to hold on to much higher rated recruits for longer than we do.

This, more than sanctions, is why we're at where we are with the roster. It has been mismanaged for a number of years.

With how JB has preferred things of recent, we walk into next year with 5 frosh, Joe and Symir. Unknowns will be around Jesse, Frank and Benny as well as the petition by Jimmy for year 6. That is possibly 11 guys there. No idea on Cole either which makes 12. Hard to see any additions from the portal unless room opens up via guys leaving.

Joe appears to have hit his ceiling as a PG absent maybe doing what he did early on this year for a whole year.

Symir looks to be developing with more upside left.

Jesse is some more strength from being an elite big man nationally.

Frank needs that same opportunity Jesse got to develop. Not sure if he sticks it out.

Benny we don't know enough yet.

Jimmy isn't getting any better and unlikely Cole does either.

The new class doesn't have a stud. Already a setback with Carey being hurt and not playing. No one is setting the world on fire so it's hard to project the impact of this group. We really need 2 or 3 of them to come in and outperform their rankings.

If there is to be improvement it's gotta be the freshmen who are the reason via overcoming the experience that does come back.

If they can't and more than expected do come back- next year most assuredly looks uglier than this year.

If Jimmy comes back, you can bet 1000% that Buddy will be back, too. He won't want to go out on a losing team. Maybe he feels he can play his way back into the draft. These are super-competitive people, people seem to forget.

If Jimmy comes back, you can bet 1000% that Buddy will be back, too. He won't want to go out on a losing team. Maybe he feels he can play his way back into the draft. These are super-competitive people, people seem to forget.

All we have is Buddy's continued assurance he is leaving. Seems silly he keeps restating it for him to then pull a 180.

All we have is Buddy's continued assurance he is leaving. Seems silly he keeps restating it for him to then pull a 180.

I had not heard about the radio show announcement.

But if Buddy's not back, there's no way Jimmy is back by himself. He's a good bench player, but that's all he is.

The issues with Jim LONG predate Buddy and Jimmy. This is a program circling the drain. I have no idea how anyone can be optimistic about next year. It's very possible that our 2 best players, Buddy & Jesse, are both gone. No impact Frosh coming in and nobody has developed (i.e. Benny) because they never get the chance to play. Next year is looking even worse than this year.
Trust the process .. project tank and replace

He'll get to 1000 much, much faster and with far less stress if he takes a job at a smaller school.

Don't blame him for wanting to work after seeing how badly some of my relatives have aged since retiring. He has no real hobbies outside of golf and he can't play that 6-9 months out of the year in CNY. But he needs to know that Syracuse basketball has no obligation to be his employer.
I believe he may have sufficient funds to purchase a second home somewhere warm.

I just can’t see JB letting this be his last year.
He won’t get rid of an assistant but if he did for some reason i think Autry would be the most likely.

We can want to hit the portal but what type of kid can we get with this HC.

I just feel next year it’s going to take a worse season than this one to get change.
Getting to 1k this year would help.
Why would he let Autry go?!? He’s brought in better recruits than any of the other assistants, and he’s about as plugged in to recruiting as they come. He’s really close friends with the most influential guy in the DMV AAU scene. Autry and the other assistants are up against a difficult recruiting situation with JB at the helm, cheating coaches, and us not getting out in front of the NIL.

Last edited:
I listened to the Goodman interview. I don’t think he has a good handle on the situation here or the program or what’s possible here. And I listen to the Locked On pod sometimes, and they don’t really know what they’re talking about either.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom