No Money for Food ??? | Syracusefan.com

No Money for Food ???

Poor, poor baby. Sometimes he arrives just a few minutes too late for chicken finger night at the cafeteria. He probably has to settle for scabby macaroni and cheese and dry, over cooked roast beef. Let's set up a Ramen Noodle fund.

Not sure how it is in Storrs but lots of places, dining halls close eventually.

At UCONN they have unlimited food in cafeterias and all scholarship athletes in Storrs have unlimited passes there. They do close at 10-11, however anyone can take out as much food as they want for later. They also have cash money on their meal plans for other places around campus some of which are open later.

As some sports boards covered, he pretty much is lying because he hates the NCAA for banning UCONN from post-season. Watch his remarks after the championship to see why.

No money for food but his arms are covered in tattoos. Interesting.

Excellent point. What a whiner too. He is acting like they didn't have bad APR scores and it was some terrible act to ban them. They want to act like a renegade program (laptops, Nate Miles, APR scores, etc, etc.) then suck it up and take the punishment, don't whine about it.

Excellent point. What a whiner too. He is acting like they didn't have bad APR scores and it was some terrible act to ban them. They want to act like a renegade program (laptops, Nate Miles, APR scores, etc, etc.) then suck it up and take the punishment, don't whine about it.
To be fair, it wasn't necessarily anyone on this team that lowered the APR.

I read that article yesterday and had to laugh. There is no possible way he would not have access to all of the food that he needed. What a crock of shite.

I have never been to the campus, but I would have to think a school that big has endless food options.

At UCONN they have unlimited food in cafeterias and all scholarship athletes in Storrs have unlimited passes there. They do close at 10-11, however anyone can take out as much food as they want for later. They also have cash money on their meal plans for other places around campus some of which are open later.

As some sports boards covered, he pretty much is lying because he hates the NCAA for banning UCONN from post-season. Watch his remarks after the championship to see why.

I read an article this morning on Napier's comments about the NCAA during the last few days. The article said that NCAA meal plans for student athletes allow up to three meals per day. (I tried to google it, but this was the best I could find in a short period of time was this: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...to-consider-recruiting-meals-changes/3178425/)

That's not a bad deal, but when you consider the strenuous activities that these guys are going through, three meals per day probably doesn't cut it. These athletes likely have early morning conditioning, breakfast, morning classes, lunch, practices, dinner, then study hall/tutoring for a few hours at night. By the time 9 o'clock rolls around, these guys are probably starving again. Their schedules are so ridiculous, they don't have time to cook full meals, so they probably need to go out and grab a bite. If you go on the cheap end (Value meals at McDonalds, sandwich/chips/soda at a deli), you're probably looking at an additional $8 - $12 bucks per night. With so many families living paycheck to paycheck that starts adding up fast.

And let's remember, these guys are significantly larger and more active than the average student -- I just don't see how 3 meals/day really cuts it.

EDIT: This isn't specifically for UCONN (I read your post that you can take as much food for later), but a lot of schools don't let you take food out of the cafeteria during unlimited meals and a lot of smaller schools don't have as many food options around campus.

No money for food but his arms are covered in tattoos. Interesting.

'Like' doesn't begin to do justice to your point.

What a sorry society this is when knuckleheads like Napier make such claims and aren't immediately denounced by, among others, the educators who deal with them on a daily basis.

Scholarship athletes get there tuition, room, board, and books paid for. As stated above they have all you can eat cafeterias that usually allow you to take food with you. On top of all this many college students qualify for up to $5000 a year in Pell Grants. Still if that is not enough money they could easily take out college loans like many of the rest of us had to. Whether you think college athletes should be paid or receive a stipend aside, there is no reason that they should be going hungry.

FortyFourCT said:

He was a disgrace in that interview. First calling for everyone to listen to him then calling out the NCAA on their ban.

By the time 9 o'clock rolls around, these guys are probably starving again. Their schedules are so ridiculous, they don't have time to cook full meals, so they probably need to go out and grab a bite. If you go on the cheap end (Value meals at McDonalds, sandwich/chips/soda at a deli), you're probably looking at an additional $8 - $12 bucks per night. With so many families living paycheck to paycheck that starts adding up fast.

And let's remember, these guys are significantly larger and more active than the average student -- I just don't see how 3 meals/day really cuts it.

Napier did play a game after getting sick from eating some chicken fingers at 7-11 on the road.

Shabazz is starving and Kemba is barely literate.

It would seem a portion of Northeast Connecticut is actually a third world country.

Have you heard their coach speak? That is what a Uconn degree gets you.