No need for anymore stay or go posts about Shafer | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

No need for anymore stay or go posts about Shafer

what exactly did that kid do anyway?

Let's just say it isn't a decision that Shafer should be criticized for and leave it at that. Demands were made that may or may not have been made of Pitt.

Sometimes the parents of recruits are their own worst nightmares.

Let's just say it isn't a decision that Shafer should be criticized for and leave it at that. Demands were made that may or may not have been made of Pitt.

Sometimes the parents of recruits are their own worst nightmares.
Demands that are NCAA violations? Or just diva demands?

Whatever Clark did - well we have a basketball team where guys have done things.

Not like it matters anyway...Gross made a bad hire.
How's that working out for basketball? Take sanctions every couple decades for a winner? I don't give two chits what Narduzzi does, Clark is fine elsewhere.

How's that working out for basketball? Take sanctions every couple decades for a winner? I don't give two chits what Narduzzi does, Clark is fine elsewhere.

Dome's been pretty full and the coach is in the Hall of Fame. I think knowing what we know now we would do it over again in an instant.

Dome's been pretty full and the coach is in the Hall of Fame. I think knowing what we know now we would do it over again in an instant.
Really? 4 of our most successful seasons taken away. A season out of the tourney and 3 more about to be affected by scholarship losses. Pretty much 8 years of negative. Makes sense.

College Gameday will be in Syracuse for UNC-SU this year. Analysts like Bilas don't mock our program like Herbstriet does and did today during the FSU-CU game.
Our basketball program is elite even with the sanctions. Next year we have a 5 star recruit and transfer center who can play.

I would take the headaches for a couple of good years in FB.

Finwad32 said:
Really? 4 of our most successful seasons taken away. A season out of the tourney and 3 more about to be affected by scholarship losses. Pretty much 8 years of negative. Makes sense.

I get what you're saying, but people don't care. SU hoops has been skating on the edge of legal for three decades. People want to win, and win big. I'm not saying we should have kept this kid, I know nothing about the situation. But in college athletics of you want to win big you gotta get dirty. It sucks but it's the way it has been forever.

College Gameday will be in Syracuse for UNC-SU this year. Analysts like Bilas don't mock our program like Herbstriet does and did today during the FSU-CU game.
Our basketball program is elite even with the sanctions. Next year we have a 5 star recruit and transfer center who can play.

I would take the headaches for a couple of good years in FB.
When fans are willing to do things illegally for success, that's when these things become a problem.

I'll never accept breaking rules to win, in anything I do in my damn life.

Alsacs said:
College Gameday will be in Syracuse for UNC-SU this year. Analysts like Bilas don't mock our program like Herbstriet does and did today during the FSU-CU game. Our basketball program is elite even with the sanctions. Next year we have a 5 star recruit and transfer center who can play. I would take the headaches for a couple of good years in FB.

This is what I'm afraid of. I want a high character guy who is a great coach.

Finwad32 said:
When fans are willing to do things illegally for success, that's when these things become a problem. I'll never accept breaking rules to win, in anything I do in my damn life.

Every winning program breaks the rules. Losing ones too. It's just a matter of degrees, and if they get caught.

College sports is a cesspool. We all know this.

so now we're selling our souls for one 5 star recruit who god knows what baggage he was bringing with him? How did that work out with Fab when we needed him the most?

Every winning program breaks the rules. Losing ones too. It's just a matter of degrees, and if they get caught.

College sports is a cesspool. We all know this.
Doesn't make it acceptable.

Eh you have to play pretty close to the line to compete at the highest levels. Everyone knows it. Especially in bball where there are so few guys. All the big time teams do. UK, Duke, UNC, Kansas, UCLA.

Finwad32 said:
Doesn't make it acceptable.

That's fine. But it's reality. I mean I take it you know the SU football program well. It ain't hoops but there has been a lot of shenanigans that have gone on over the years.

When fans are willing to do things illegally for success, that's when these things become a problem.

I'll never accept breaking rules to win, in anything I do in my damn life.
I don't want you to say your confidential info as I trust you know the facts about Clark that others have leaked just enough. I don't want my coach to knowingly break the rules and pull a Blue Chips.
However, JB runs a loose ship and has done well.

That's fine. But it's reality. I mean I take it you know the SU football program well. It ain't hoops but there has been a lot of shenanigans that have gone on over the years.
Im not debating that rules have, are and will be broken. Does not mean it should ever become acceptable imo. Just because school x cheats to win doesn't mean school y needs to.

Alsacs said:
College Gameday will be in Syracuse for UNC-SU this year. Analysts like Bilas don't mock our program like Herbstriet does and did today during the FSU-CU game. Our basketball program is elite even with the sanctions. Next year we have a 5 star recruit and transfer center who can play. I would take the headaches for a couple of good years in FB.

JB wouldn't take Clark

Explain why Syracuse fans shouldn't find it dubious that Clark wanted Syracuse to violate NCAA rules for him to commit but he wouldn't expect Pittsburgh to do the same thing?
We are talking about Pitt not Florida State or Clemson. I just find that hard to believe.

so now we're selling our souls for one 5 star recruit who god knows what baggage he was bringing with him? How did that work out with Fab when we needed him the most?

Shafer and the coaching staff knew.

Last edited:
Explain why Syracuse fans should find it dubious that Clark wanted Syracuse to violate NCAA rules for him to commit but he wouldn't expect Pittsburgh to do the same thing?
We are talking about Pitt not Florida State or Clemson. I just find that hard to believe.
Maybe a lesson was learned when previous options disintegrated for him. Who knows. It could be any number of things.

I don't know, maybe I'm naive, but I won't debate the merits of doing things correctly. I was always taught it's the only option.

I'm tired guys, I'm gonna spend some time with my daughter and hope the Giants restore some semblance of success to this weekend for me.