No Sense Crying Over Spilled Milk | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

No Sense Crying Over Spilled Milk

To each their own, but I simply don't see the negativity on here that you're seeing.

Somewhat agree--I don't see it as much as negativity as I do knee jerk / reactionary / alarmist rhetoric.

Last Friday's game was disheartening, no matter how you slice it. But these coaches are qualified and have a plan.

Not only is it on here but it's everywhere.

Vegas has us as a 12.5 point underdog at home Saturday. I would bet my life that at least 2/3rds of posters on this board think we will win the game outright. That isn't negativity.

i think we all deserve a medal and a cookie for our restraint over a game where they gained 848

here's a random stat that isn't worth starting it's own thread for

comparing three game stretches in 2014 to louisville's one game of 848 yards

10/25/2014
11/1/2014
11/8/2014
739 yards

11/1/2014
11/8/2014
11/22/2014
824 yards

11/8/2014
11/22/2014
11/29/2014
615 yards

I hated the Shafer hiring.
While I will give Scott Shafer a chance as the HC of SU I think back to when WVU hired Bill Stewart

I still shut the hell up and supported the guy until it became obvious he was in over his head. I didn't call for his head until after the ISIS press conference after the Louisville game in Oct. 2014. He overachieved in 2013 and I gave him credit for it but I still didn't root against the program and want the team to fail. Hell even when we were sucking the last 2 years I wanted to win and on Saturday supported the team.

These Shafer people want the team to struggle so they can say see it isn't easy when Babers has already shown he has a vision. We were never beating Louisville this year. Hell in 2o13 we got destroyed by Clemson, Georgia Tech, Florida State by a combined score of 164-17 in those 3 games and still made a bowl.

I think you're a little over the top with "these Shafer people". Honestly, your hatred of his hire is superfluous. Good for you that you were right that it was a bad choice. Maybe I haven't been looking as closely as you, but I haven't seen people commenting on how they want Babers to struggle. We all know they were going to struggle. Babers knew the team would struggle. If you're a fasn of the team, this way of thinking makes no sense.

How can you tell that someone is a 'Shafer person" versus someone with unrealistic expectations or someone who doesn't know they're shite? There's been some "the sky is falling" posts on here, but that's just par for the course overreaction. I'll admit that I don't read the Syracuse.com comment section, so I can't comment on anything from there.

I know that the team in general is a work in progress and the defense will need a overhaul of talent to play the type of defense needed but Jackson's performance Friday would have been awesome regardless of the team. Everyone should sit back, relax and watch the team grow offensively and watch them fight to compete with the middle level teams this year and progress each following year.

I think you're a little over the top with "these Shafer people". Honestly, your hatred of his hire is superfluous. Good for you that you were right that it was a bad choice. Maybe I haven't been looking as closely as you, but I haven't seen people commenting on how they want Babers to struggle. We all know they were going to struggle. Babers knew the team would struggle. If you're a fasn of the team, this way of thinking makes no sense.

How can you tell that someone is a 'Shafer person" versus someone with unrealistic expectations or someone who doesn't know they're shite? There's been some "the sky is falling" posts on here, but that's just par for the course overreaction. I'll admit that I don't read the Syracuse.com comment section, so I can't comment on anything from there.
Shafer himself was ok, not exactly transcendent, but ok... The cronies he brought into his staff were the bigger issue, imo...

Shafer himself was ok, not exactly transcendent, but ok... The cronies he brought into his staff were the bigger issue, imo...
That is how every business works , you call in people you know and trust , especially in the beginning . That is what Dino has done .

That is how every business works , you call in people you know and trust , especially in the beginning . That is what Dino has done .
In my business, I recruit Stanford or Harvard degrees, not from Valdosta St because I know the applicant's mother's friend's former college roomate's 3rd child...
See my earlier posts, this may prove to be an issue with Babers too...
Is it against our religion to recruit coaches that have coached at other P5 institutions?

I'm not worried and knew it was going to be a rout by my 59-27 prediction. Until Babers gets his players in here and more time goes by to digest the system; it will be ups and downs as well as lack of consistency. The talent generally, on the defensive side of the ball especially, is just not good enough to compete beyond our peer programs and even against the peers we're still looking up, imo.

Babers isn't going anywhere and I see a plan. I like what I am seeing from the offense and potential there. We just need to have more patience. His system is proven. A guy like Shafer never was.

20-25% probably didn't want to give Shafer a chance either. I was a Shafer guy, until I became a Babers guy. Prior to that I was a Marrone guy. Let's just all get behind the new coach and give him a chance.
Wise choice to stop at Marrone.

"We had fans in my section during the game screaming at the top of their lungs to "Send Dino back to Baylor!" and it seems like some here are going to complain and complain because it's their god given right to expect a coach to immediately restore Syracuse football to its peak! Dino said on DAY 1 that there would be days where the team looked really good, and days when the team would look really bad. Louisville was a game where we looked really bad. But you could see flashes of what was to come."

As bad as we need to fill seats in the Dome these are the kind of fans that we need to stay home. But its typical CNY and Syracuse.com people who complain about everything no matter what .

In my business, I recruit Stanford or Harvard degrees, not from Valdosta St because I know the applicant's mother's friend's former college roomate's 3rd child...
See my earlier posts, this may prove to be an issue with Babers too...
Is it against our religion to recruit coaches that have coached at other P5 institutions?
If you are in a start up , which is what a new coach is , you want to bring in people you feel you have vetted , at least on a personal character level . I can't imagine a new coach who knows he may struggle bringing in an unknown that may be able to take his job or turn out to have no chemistry with .

I'm not worried and knew it was going to be a rout by my 59-27 prediction. Until Babers gets his players in here and more time goes by to digest the system; it will be ups and downs as well as lack of consistency. The talent generally, on the defensive side of the ball especially, is just not good enough to compete beyond our peer programs and even against the peers we're still looking up, imo.

Babers isn't going anywhere and I see a plan. I like what I am seeing from the offense and potential there. We just need to have more patience. His system is proven. A guy like Shafer never was.

Great post--agree 100%.

"We had fans in my section during the game screaming at the top of their lungs to "Send Dino back to Baylor!" and it seems like some here are going to complain and complain because it's their god given right to expect a coach to immediately restore Syracuse football to its peak! Dino said on DAY 1 that there would be days where the team looked really good, and days when the team would look really bad. Louisville was a game where we looked really bad. But you could see flashes of what was to come."

As bad as we need to fill seats in the Dome these are the kind of fans that we need to stay home. But its typical CNY and Syracuse.com people who complain about everything no matter what .
Negativity is infectious, especially when things aren't going in a positive direction. Luckily they scored that drive so I could scream back at that a-hole.

i think we all deserve a medal and a cookie for our restraint over a game where they gained 848

here's a random stat that isn't worth starting it's own thread for

comparing three game stretches in 2014 to louisville's one game of 848 yards

10/25/2014
11/1/2014
11/8/2014
739 yards

11/1/2014
11/8/2014
11/22/2014
824 yards

11/8/2014
11/22/2014
11/29/2014
615 yards

The times, they are a-changing.

I think that one of the most difficult things our fanbase is going to have to wrap their heads around is that the new staff is going to do things differently than what they are accustomed to seeing. So despite OrangePA's post yesterday about "football being football," in actuality that couldn't be further from the truth. Historical comparison isn't going to yield much insight because our new coaching staff's way of doing things could literally not be further away from how we've done things in the past.

Our passing / offensive numbers are going to skyrocket this year, and improve even more next year. The stats amassed by the players in the program today are going to shatter those of their counterparts on the offensive side of the ball from pre-Babers. That doesn't mean that Amba Etta-Tawo is a better player than Marvin Harrison, or Kevin Johnson for that matter. Which is why the variance between the Babers stats and the historical program stats aren't going to yield much insight--because we're comparing apples to oranges.

We're going to win shoot outs, and be in a lot of them. So looking at how we white knuckled games in 2014 also isn't really a good comparison. I qualify all of the above by acknowledging--again--how horrific of a defensive outcome Friday's game was. I just think some members of the fanbase need to dispense with wringing hands when we win 59-52 and give up 500 yards, decrying the days when we used to hold teams to 23 [and lose 23-14].

The times, they are a-changing.

Last edited:
I would bet my life that at least 2/3rds of posters on this board think we will win the game outright.
Go on. You've got my full attention.
upload_2016-9-14_13-9-50.jpeg

After a loss, I avoid this board like the plague, and for good reason. Some of the stuff spouted off by some people here is completely ridiculous. The way people on here were talking sounds like people were expecting to beat Louisville.

Louisville. A top 15 team in the country. A team with a Heisman candidate at QB. A team with one of the best front 7s in the country.

All of the sudden, Dino isn't good enough, his system isn't good enough, we're going to go 3-9 this season. How did this happen? We all knew there would be growing pains, good and bad games. I certainly didn't expect a reaction like I've seen on here since Friday.

We had fans in my section during the game screaming at the top of their lungs to "Send Dino back to Baylor!" and it seems like some here are going to complain and complain because it's their god given right to expect a coach to immediately restore Syracuse football to its peak! Dino said on DAY 1 that there would be days where the team looked really good, and days when the team would look really bad. Louisville was a game where we looked really bad. But you could see flashes of what was to come.

Please. The team needs your support. This cynical BS is making me sick. Even Bud is writing positive articles!

Are you a fanatic or truly a SUPPORTER? Let's get behind the team for USF.

I bet the "'savvy' anti-like monster" Eric15 is super jealous of all of your super cool likes.

Well said, dude.

I always expext a win.
So do I, but now that I'm 70, realization has set in, and we finally have another real Coach to follow. We haven't had someone since Mac left, who really had a vision, and actually had experience at being a Head Coach. The greatest thing is we finally have a chance at being the best program in the Northeast, and a player again on the national scene.

We had fans in my section during the game screaming at the top of their lungs to "Send Dino back to Baylor!"

Because most people are idiotic especially at sporting events

I'm aware of this, I've done some stupid things at sporting events myself. However, for casual fans, this is a reason why they wouldn't come back or help develop their line of thinking. And we all know the most negative voices shout the loudest.

I'm glad I was behind the Louisville bench. Though, some Syracuse fans
weren't happy with my display towards the players. Especially a certain girl who called me a bully, and the dreaded c word. We just happened to be two rows back from the training table, or whatever you want to call it. Scalped tickets for $25 a pop. Works for me.

I assume some posters were around there. Sorry if I offended anyone. But, not really. Just how it goes, and my friend and I actually stayed until the end. We congratulated the players we mocked, and wished them well. It's all part of sports.

If I was on the other side, then I would have been screaming encouraging things. I wish I was in the same spot, opposite side. I'd like the players and staff to know I appreciate them. Instead of yelling at them. Support your team, or get out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom