No way SU should get beat up like this | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

No way SU should get beat up like this

No way IMO a Marrone team gets beat to a pulp like this

It seems like you started this thread just to dump on Shafer, even though Syracuse played possibly the best team in the nation today.

I think what is embarassing to me is that we are a bowl team. There are too many bowl games if we're considered a bowl team. We are very inconsistent and our team now doesnt seem to compare with the bowl teams we had in the 90s.
There are too many bowl games. In the 90s this team would not be a bowl team. I can remember not getting to a bowl with 7 wins in the 90's. Things are different and half of college football gets to go to a bowl. Hell, Tulane has 6 wins and is bowl eligible and we beat the crap out of them and were clearly a better team. But if we lose the next two, they go bowling and we don't. Bowls are good for morale and the extra practice, but being a bowl team these days doesn't mean much unless you're in the BCS.

I'll come back when all the "I only post after a loss" guys get done whimpering. If you didn't see this coming, you haven't been paying attention.

On to two winnable games and hopefully a bowl.

It was hard to watch but FSU is a great team. This is our first year in the ACC with a new head coach, many new assistants, a new quarterback among other things. Hopefully, we (SU) can get at least one more win to become bowl eligible. I admit I bleed orange and am a homer, but I will root for our kids to win every game all the time regardless of the sport!

I guess the coach who lost to Michigan St 48-7, then lost to Alabama 61-6 in the same year should have been fired. It takes time to build a solid program, look where West Virginia is now that they have joined the big boys, and not beat up on the Big East. By the way for all those uninformed, the year was 1952. The coach was Ben, fortunately we didn't have the internet, and Fans who need instant gratification.

Some people will never get it. College football today is dramatically different that it was in the 90's. The gap between the have's and the have not's is greater. There will always be exceptions to the rule, and some unexpected close games will break out, but generally speaking, teams like FSU, Clemson, half of the SEC, maybe Oregon, Stanford, Ohio ST, and some other teams have gapped us big time. We should never give up but, personally, I hope we can become a consistent 8-4 team in the future. Playing Fla ST, Clemson, and a road game in NJ against a top program every year are going to make it tough to consistently be more than that

Agree 100%. College football isn't the same game it was in the 80's and 90's. The "power football schools" are playing an entirely different sport than what SU and other schools like SU are these days.

There are too many bowl games. In the 90s this team would not be a bowl team. I can remember not getting to a bowl with 7 wins in the 90's. Things are different and half of college football gets to go to a bowl. Hell, Tulane has 6 wins and is bowl eligible and we beat the crap out of them and were clearly a better team. But if we lose the next two, they go bowling and we don't. Bowls are good for morale and the extra practice, but being a bowl team these days doesn't mean much unless you're in the BCS.
You start getting rid of bowl games and the interest in college football goes away real fast for a large part of the country. Seriously if you remove 6-10 bowl games so there aren't as many Bowls...what the hell is SU playing for the next 2 weeks then vs Pitt and BC? Pride? Start removing bowls and they could win both and probably be left out of a bowl. At least now it gives fans of mid-level football schools (like SU) a rooting interest till the end of the year most years.

You start getting rid of bowl games and the interest in college football goes away real fast for a large part of the country. Seriously if you remove 6-10 bowl games so there aren't as many Bowls...what the hell is SU playing for the next 2 weeks then vs Pitt and BC? Pride? Start removing bowls and they could win both and probably be left out of a bowl. At least now it gives fans of mid-level football schools (like SU) a rooting interest till the end of the year most years.

If you start getting rid of bowls, then maybe 40 teams out of 120 get to experience the 15 extra practices instead of 70 teams. The gap between the haves and the havenots will only get worse.

Or allow all 120 teams to have a Winter Practice along with a Spring Practice.

Really bad post.

This is the best team this program has faced since 2001. Period. There wasn't a team SU played the four years prior that is in the same zip code.

The 98 team loses by 21 to this FSU squad.

Really bad post.

This is the best team this program has faced since 2001. Period. There wasn't a team SU played the four years prior that is in the same zip code.

The 98 team loses by 21 to this FSU squad.
...and there is a good chance that so does the 2013 Bama team. This FSU team is the most complete college team I've seen in years.

I guess the coach who lost to Michigan St 48-7, then lost to Alabama 61-6 in the same year should have been fired. It takes time to build a solid program, look where West Virginia is now that they have joined the big boys, and not beat up on the Big East. By the way for all those uninformed, the year was 1952. The coach was Ben, fortunately we didn't have the internet, and Fans who need instant gratification.

in fairness things are a LOT different now

in fairness things are a LOT different now
Different how so. He was blown out twice. Shafer has been blown out apples to apple. It means relax and give this guy a few years. That Fsu team may be one of the best in a long time.

When was the last time we have played teams of the caliber of Clemson, Ga Tech and FSU in one season? We are in the big leagues now boys.

If you start getting rid of bowls, then maybe 40 teams out of 120 get to experience the 15 extra practices instead of 70 teams. The gap between the haves and the havenots will only get worse.

Or allow all 120 teams to have a Winter Practice along with a Spring Practice.

I agree 100% that the gap will widen if for no other reasons than money and exposure on TV. I really think that the IPF will go quite a ways to even things up in recruiting but to get to a level where we compete consistently with FSU may be a bit of a stretch. Consistently compete with the rest of the teams in the conference is definitely doable.

Maybe Clemson should have hired Marrone instead of Dabo cause they got pummeled just as bad.

Maybe when Bama gets log slammed by FSU in the NC game they will fire Saban and hire Marrone.

I don't care who the coach would be there are very few teams in the country who could match up with the talent and speed of this FSU team!

But, but...I thought those 4 & 5 star kids don't have chips on their shoulders, etc., like our 2 & 3 star guys do. And, that those rating systems are so inherently flawed. ;)

When was the last time we have played teams of the caliber of Clemson, Ga Tech and FSU in one season? We are in the big leagues now boys.

We should have done much better against Clemson and GT than what happened. Those were both as much first year over thinking it as mismatches.

WVU, Louisville, and Cinci have been on par with those two.

Yesterday it didn't matter what SU did. That team is an unique on to itself beast.

We should have done much better against Clemson and GT than what happened. Those were both as much first year over thinking it as mismatches.

WVU, Louisville, and Cinci have been on par with those two.

Yesterday it didn't matter what SU did. That team is an unique on to itself beast.

I agree that FSU is in a class by themselves. I also think GT was a case of our not knowing what the hell we were doing on D vs the triple. But I think Clemson is better than any old BE team.

I have always thought WVU, Cincy and L'ville were consistently overrated. Good programs to be sure but not worthy of the top 10 ratings they have been giving at various times over the last few seasons.

We beat all of them with lesser teams. I don't fear L'ville in the ACC - they will be just another team.

Different how so. He was blown out twice. Shafer has been blown out apples to apple. It means relax and give this guy a few years. That Fsu team may be one of the best in a long time.

we're not even talking about the same thing. the post i quoted was talking about 1952. all i said the whole landscape of college football is totally different now. i said nothing about shafer

It doesn't embarrass me at all. We aren't in the top 25... But bowl games are about the top 70 or whatever. I'll be proud when we make it and I'll travel to prove it!

I think what is embarassing to me is that we are a bowl team. There are too many bowl games if we're considered a bowl team. We are very inconsistent and our team now doesnt seem to compare with the bowl teams we had in the 90s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom