NOLA recs?

chugg21

Gritty, High IQ, Scrappy, Gym Rat, Lunch Pail Guy
Once for sure. Everybody says they are great.
Just don't stand in line to do so. They are good but at the end of the day it's a plate of fried dough that is about 20% better than what you can just get from a pizzeria. Was there over new years and the line was like 200 yards long in the rain. Felt bad for those lemmings.

IthacaBarrel

Shaky Potatoes
I will add a couple spots.

Toast is a great breakfast spot by Fairgrounds. Elizabeth's is great for brunch which I see is added. eat at elizabeth's and then walk down to the quarter from there, you can go over the bridge and walk through the park along the river, you will need the walk after eating there.

I like the PO Boy's at Parkview Bakery. ( surf and turf Po Boy) Rosedale is very good as well, sit at the bar.

Two Best restaurants that I have been to there recently are Compere Lapin and Shaya. Lapin is great for brunch or dinner. Shaya is middle eastern type food but well worth it. ( different for NOLA) You will need a res at Shaya 2-3 weeks in advance unless you want to eat super late or early

Classic New Orleans type is Jaquimos ( SP?), no reservations so be prepared to drink at the dive bar next door. Maple Leaf

Turkey and the Wolf is a bit odd but great for lunch

Best spot for Music I Like Frenchman Street ( DBA or Spotted Cat)

Best dive bar with cocktails: Bar Tonique. No food but great drinks

Best Gumbo at a dive type restaurant, Liuzza's by the track.

And yes I have spent a lot of time in the great city of New Orleans and haven't set foot on Bourbon Street in probably 10 years. I wouldn't even bother, not worth it and too much other great stuff to do. Definitely wouldn't recommend it at night. Nothing good will ever happen

orange79

Internet Sleuth
Staff member
I don't know a single local that goes there, would be like someone from Buffalo going to Anchor Bar.
I guess you don't know all the locals, then.

I had a resident friend take us there - he was the one who was pointing out locals (several of whom he knew) vs. non.
1547045129581.gif

chugg21

I will add a couple spots.

Toast is a great breakfast spot by Fairgrounds. Elizabeth's is great for brunch which I see is added. eat at elizabeth's and then walk down to the quarter from there, you can go over the bridge and walk through the park along the river, you will need the walk after eating there.

I like the PO Boy's at Parkview Bakery. ( surf and turf Po Boy) Rosedale is very good as well, sit at the bar.

Two Best restaurants that I have been to there recently are Compere Lapin and Shaya. Lapin is great for brunch or dinner. Shaya is middle eastern type food but well worth it. ( different for NOLA) You will need a res at Shaya 2-3 weeks in advance unless you want to eat super late or early

Classic New Orleans type is Jaquimos ( SP?), no reservations so be prepared to drink at the dive bar next door. Maple Leaf

Turkey and the Wolf is a bit odd but great for lunch

Best spot for Music I Like Frenchman Street ( DBA or Spotted Cat)

Best dive bar with cocktails: Bar Tonique. No food but great drinks

Best Gumbo at a dive type restaurant, Liuzza's by the track.

And yes I have spent a lot of time in the great city of New Orleans and haven't set foot on Bourbon Street in probably 10 years. I wouldn't even bother, not worth it and too much other great stuff to do. Definitely wouldn't recommend it at night. Nothing good will ever happen
Haven't been to Shaya yet, I was a fan of Kentons' early bourbon before it switched over. I've heard a lot of good things about Jacques Imos too but haven't been.

IthacaBarrel

Shaky Potatoes
Haven't been to Shaya yet, I was a fan of Kentons' early bourbon before it switched over. I've heard a lot of good things about Jacques Imos too but haven't been.
Shaya is really really good but tough to get into. Jacues Imos has really good food and is really festive, you have to walk through the kitchen to go to the bathroom, it's strange but worth the wait. Like I said there is a bar right next door and they will buzz you when your table is ready. Im really never in a much of a hurry anyway when I am down there.

Another one I like is Petite grocery off of Magazine St.

I think Compere Lapin may be my favorite though but probably leans a bit more fine dining than most in NOLA. Great thing about New Orleans is the cost of food and drink is really reasonable compared to a lot of other cities.

It's tough because you want to try new places when down there but you also want to go back to great places you have already been

Last edited:

chugg21

Shaya is really really good but tough to get into. Jacues Imos has really good food and is really festive, you have to walk through the kitchen to go to the bathroom, it's strange but worth the wait. Like I said there is a bar right next door and they will buzz you when your table is ready. Im really never in a much of a hurry anyway when I am down there.

Another one I like is Petite grocery off of Magazine St.

I think Compere Lapin may be my favorite though but probably leans a bit more fine dining than most in NOLA. Great thing about New Orleans is the cost of food and drink is really reasonable compared to a lot of other cities.

It's tough because you want to try new places when down there but you also want to go back to great places you have already been
That's kind of how I am. It's always just a quick 2 or 3 night trip and I want to hit all of my spots but usually try to fit in 1 new place that has been recommended.

SoBeCuse

Living Legend
Shaya has been recommended big time. Modern take on Israeli. I guess the head chef left and opened Saba. Very similar menu...some things exactly the same. There was that whole John Besh s e xual harassment/assault issues causing some schisms.

Liuzza’s is on the list for under the radar poboys and gumbo.

IthacaBarrel

Shaky Potatoes
Shaya has been recommended big time. Modern take on Israeli. I guess the head chef left and opened Saba. Very similar menu...some things exactly the same. There was that whole John Besh s e xual harassment/assault issues causing some schisms.

Liuzza's has awesome gumbo and well worth the visit. Po Boys are pretty good but I wouldn't put them at ELITE status, definitely a great spot though.

chugg21

End up finding a spot to watch the game on Wed?

chugg21

Have never been actually! Will be there for four days in a couple of weeks with lots of free time. I already have compiled some intel from some various hardcore foodie friends as well as some other logistical intel. Staying in Downtonish/Business District and apparently a 10 min walk to the Quarter.

There is a 6 or 7 year-old NOLA thread in this forum but I figured I would start a new one.

Has anybody been to Commander’s Palace? Worth the hype? The $0.25 martinis at lunch seem too good to pass up! Are the John Besh spots worth the hype as well? Acme? Don’t know much about the beer scene but have heard Port Orleans and Urban South are solid. I’m not going to nor have any interest in Abita. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!
Make it out alive?

Chip

Living Legend
Don't go to The Dungeon if it's late at night and you're very drunk. You'll try to go to the bathroom and you'll end up completely lost. Aptly named and most compartmentalized bar I've ever been to. I seriously couldn't find an exit.

I know it's packed and crazy, but I like walking Bourbon Street. Cocktail in hand, and just wander into some places with live music. All impromptu. It's some of the best times I've ever had, and couldn't for the life of me remember the names of the places.

Drink hurricanes in moderation. They look exactly the same on the way back up. (don't re-drink it).

Top Bottom