NOLA recs? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

NOLA recs?

Once for sure. Everybody says they are great.

Just don't stand in line to do so. They are good but at the end of the day it's a plate of fried dough that is about 20% better than what you can just get from a pizzeria. Was there over new years and the line was like 200 yards long in the rain. Felt bad for those lemmings.

I will add a couple spots.

Toast is a great breakfast spot by Fairgrounds. Elizabeth's is great for brunch which I see is added. eat at elizabeth's and then walk down to the quarter from there, you can go over the bridge and walk through the park along the river, you will need the walk after eating there.

I like the PO Boy's at Parkview Bakery. ( surf and turf Po Boy) Rosedale is very good as well, sit at the bar.

Two Best restaurants that I have been to there recently are Compere Lapin and Shaya. Lapin is great for brunch or dinner. Shaya is middle eastern type food but well worth it. ( different for NOLA) You will need a res at Shaya 2-3 weeks in advance unless you want to eat super late or early

Classic New Orleans type is Jaquimos ( SP?), no reservations so be prepared to drink at the dive bar next door. Maple Leaf

Turkey and the Wolf is a bit odd but great for lunch

Best spot for Music I Like Frenchman Street ( DBA or Spotted Cat)

Best dive bar with cocktails: Bar Tonique. No food but great drinks

Best Gumbo at a dive type restaurant, Liuzza's by the track.

And yes I have spent a lot of time in the great city of New Orleans and haven't set foot on Bourbon Street in probably 10 years. I wouldn't even bother, not worth it and too much other great stuff to do. Definitely wouldn't recommend it at night. Nothing good will ever happen

I don't know a single local that goes there, would be like someone from Buffalo going to Anchor Bar.
I guess you don't know all the locals, then.

I had a resident friend take us there - he was the one who was pointing out locals (several of whom he knew) vs. non.
1547045129581.gif

I will add a couple spots.

Toast is a great breakfast spot by Fairgrounds. Elizabeth's is great for brunch which I see is added. eat at elizabeth's and then walk down to the quarter from there, you can go over the bridge and walk through the park along the river, you will need the walk after eating there.

I like the PO Boy's at Parkview Bakery. ( surf and turf Po Boy) Rosedale is very good as well, sit at the bar.

Two Best restaurants that I have been to there recently are Compere Lapin and Shaya. Lapin is great for brunch or dinner. Shaya is middle eastern type food but well worth it. ( different for NOLA) You will need a res at Shaya 2-3 weeks in advance unless you want to eat super late or early

Classic New Orleans type is Jaquimos ( SP?), no reservations so be prepared to drink at the dive bar next door. Maple Leaf

Turkey and the Wolf is a bit odd but great for lunch

Best spot for Music I Like Frenchman Street ( DBA or Spotted Cat)

Best dive bar with cocktails: Bar Tonique. No food but great drinks

Best Gumbo at a dive type restaurant, Liuzza's by the track.

And yes I have spent a lot of time in the great city of New Orleans and haven't set foot on Bourbon Street in probably 10 years. I wouldn't even bother, not worth it and too much other great stuff to do. Definitely wouldn't recommend it at night. Nothing good will ever happen

Haven't been to Shaya yet, I was a fan of Kentons' early bourbon before it switched over. I've heard a lot of good things about Jacques Imos too but haven't been.

Haven't been to Shaya yet, I was a fan of Kentons' early bourbon before it switched over. I've heard a lot of good things about Jacques Imos too but haven't been.

Shaya is really really good but tough to get into. Jacues Imos has really good food and is really festive, you have to walk through the kitchen to go to the bathroom, it's strange but worth the wait. Like I said there is a bar right next door and they will buzz you when your table is ready. Im really never in a much of a hurry anyway when I am down there.

Another one I like is Petite grocery off of Magazine St.

I think Compere Lapin may be my favorite though but probably leans a bit more fine dining than most in NOLA. Great thing about New Orleans is the cost of food and drink is really reasonable compared to a lot of other cities.

It's tough because you want to try new places when down there but you also want to go back to great places you have already been

Last edited:
Shaya is really really good but tough to get into. Jacues Imos has really good food and is really festive, you have to walk through the kitchen to go to the bathroom, it's strange but worth the wait. Like I said there is a bar right next door and they will buzz you when your table is ready. Im really never in a much of a hurry anyway when I am down there.

Another one I like is Petite grocery off of Magazine St.

I think Compere Lapin may be my favorite though but probably leans a bit more fine dining than most in NOLA. Great thing about New Orleans is the cost of food and drink is really reasonable compared to a lot of other cities.

It's tough because you want to try new places when down there but you also want to go back to great places you have already been

That's kind of how I am. It's always just a quick 2 or 3 night trip and I want to hit all of my spots but usually try to fit in 1 new place that has been recommended.

Shaya has been recommended big time. Modern take on Israeli. I guess the head chef left and opened Saba. Very similar menu...some things exactly the same. There was that whole John Besh sexual harassment/assault issues causing some schisms.

Liuzza’s is on the list for under the radar poboys and gumbo.

Shaya has been recommended big time. Modern take on Israeli. I guess the head chef left and opened Saba. Very similar menu...some things exactly the same. There was that whole John Besh s e xual harassment/assault issues causing some schisms.

Liuzza's has awesome gumbo and well worth the visit. Po Boys are pretty good but I wouldn't put them at ELITE status, definitely a great spot though.

Shaya has been recommended big time. Modern take on Israeli. I guess the head chef left and opened Saba. Very similar menu...some things exactly the same. There was that whole John Besh s e xual harassment/assault issues causing some schisms.

End up finding a spot to watch the game on Wed?

Have never been actually! Will be there for four days in a couple of weeks with lots of free time. I already have compiled some intel from some various hardcore foodie friends as well as some other logistical intel. Staying in Downtonish/Business District and apparently a 10 min walk to the Quarter.

There is a 6 or 7 year-old NOLA thread in this forum but I figured I would start a new one.

Has anybody been to Commander’s Palace? Worth the hype? The $0.25 martinis at lunch seem too good to pass up! Are the John Besh spots worth the hype as well? Acme? Don’t know much about the beer scene but have heard Port Orleans and Urban South are solid. I’m not going to nor have any interest in Abita. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Make it out alive?

Don't go to The Dungeon if it's late at night and you're very drunk. You'll try to go to the bathroom and you'll end up completely lost. Aptly named and most compartmentalized bar I've ever been to. I seriously couldn't find an exit.

I know it's packed and crazy, but I like walking Bourbon Street. Cocktail in hand, and just wander into some places with live music. All impromptu. It's some of the best times I've ever had, and couldn't for the life of me remember the names of the places.

Drink hurricanes in moderation. They look exactly the same on the way back up. (don't re-drink it).

Bump for my upcoming trip. Thanks Chugg

Awesome. We had to cancel our trip there in October. Something that is pretty dumb, but was pretty enthralling (to me at least) - just stand on Canal St.,near about the Ritz, and look down towards the river. Vibes.

Bump for my upcoming trip. Thanks Chugg
I just got back from a weekend down there. Seems like it's almost back to normal. Quarter was full of unmasked Texans and Floridians(based on license plates around). Spent a minimal amount of time around there and definitely did not go inside places where there were a lot of people congregating unmasked. Stopped at all my usual spots and loved it. Was overserved on Sunday and had a real miserable Monday but back to full strength today.

I just got back from a weekend down there. Seems like it's almost back to normal. Quarter was full of unmasked Texans and Floridians(based on license plates around). Spent a minimal amount of time around there and definitely did not go inside places where there were a lot of people congregating unmasked. Stopped at all my usual spots and loved it. Was overserved on Sunday and had a real miserable Monday but back to full strength today.
My trip down there was bad. We were there the week before Mardi Gras. Just before we got there, they announced they would be shutting down everything on Friday night. We went out there on Wednesday and Thursday. Got a crappy meal on Bourbon (terrible move but resys were tough to find) but went to a great cigar bar later and that was fantastic. Great team bonding with the crew at Cuban Creations Cigar Bar - Cigar Bar - New Orleans, Louisiana. Went out to Dickie Brennan's for dinner the next night. Decent but way overpriced, and nothing original at all. Hit Bourbon afterward and it was darker than I've ever seen it before. Like the lights were turned halfway down making it even more seedy. Probably because half the bars and restaurants, if not more, were already closed down.

My trip down there was bad. We were there the week before Mardi Gras. Just before we got there, they announced they would be shutting down everything on Friday night. We went out there on Wednesday and Thursday. Got a crappy meal on Bourbon (terrible move but resys were tough to find) but went to a great cigar bar later and that was fantastic. Great team bonding with the crew at Cuban Creations Cigar Bar - Cigar Bar - New Orleans, Louisiana. Went out to Dickie Brennan's for dinner the next night. Decent but way overpriced, and nothing original at all. Hit Bourbon afterward and it was darker than I've ever seen it before. Like the lights were turned halfway down making it even more seedy. Probably because half the bars and restaurants, if not more, were already closed down.
Yeah, I would have advised to never eat on Bourbon unless it's at Galatoires for Friday Lunch which I can't imagine is happening currently.

Yeah, I would have advised to never eat on Bourbon unless it's at Galatoires for Friday Lunch which I can't imagine is happening currently.

I would recommend not going on bourbon ever. We went down 3 weeks ago for a long weekend had a great weekend

I would recommend not going on bourbon ever. We went down 3 weeks ago for a long weekend had a great weekend
I was able to do Friday Lunch once and it was the spectacle it's made out to be. Was really fun. But yeah, Bourbon is gross and pretty terrible unless it's your 1st time and you need to get a hand grenade and hurricane just to say you've had one.