North Carolina Game Preview (4/17/21, 3pm) | Syracusefan.com

North Carolina Game Preview (4/17/21, 3pm)

Powellfan

Renowned lacrosse analyst
The Orange stair down a pivotal three game stretch against ACC teams to close out the season (open date outstanding). They start with a game against slumping North Carolina, who have suffered back to back defeats to Duke and Virginia. Syracuse has a chance to make a statement and send a conference foe reeling. If they lose, they themselves will be doing some soul searching.

The UNC offense is incredibly formidable, led by potential Tewaaraton Award winner Chris Gray and his 60 points. He is surrounded by a very athletic midfield and sharpshooting attackmen. Gray will most likely be covered by Mitch Wykoff, who has struggled against the shifty attackmen in Michael Sowers and Pat Kavanaugh. This will be a big test. I do think if they can frustrate the BU transfer, they could really stagnate the offense, as he has incredibly high usage rate (he has taken a ridiculous 95 shots, the next closest? Tanner Cook at 56!). Maybe a shut-off strategy is in the cards?

The offense moves through Gray, but the other big question for the defense will be who to pole from the first line midfield? William Perry can shoot the lights out, Cook is a matchup nightmare with his size and Justin Anderson is a really good athlete. Its a tough call. Syracuse doesn't usually double pole, but they might have to think about it, especially since that third attack spot filled by Brian Cameron and Jacob Kelly isn't filled by a strong dodger. I am always really impressed by Perry when I watch the Heels play, and I think Cook needs a pole, unless the coaches think Peter Dearth could handle that matchup (Dearth did well on Casey from Albany who has similar size). UNC also runs a second midfield pretty consistently, Alex Trippi leads the group with eight and seven. The other members of the unit have been pretty quiet this season, but they did have a big game against UVA with Conor McCarthy scoring a hat trick and Henry Schertzinger scoring two goals. The short sticks of SU will be tested and have to play better this game.

We have been a bit obsessed with the face-off position these past few weeks, but the defense also has to play much much better - Notre Dame beat Duke pretty handily this past weekend and they only won 7 of 23 face-offs. I know the defense will not reach Notre Dame heights this year, but I think too much blame has been placed on the face-off (I have been guilty of this). The defense needs to stop ball watching, slide better and communicate. They have a very good keeper in Porter but he needs help, and he'll need it big time this weekend.

Speaking of the face-offs, UNC comes in with two options in Andrew Tyeryar and Zac Tucci. They are both over 50% on the year but have struggled against Duke and UVA. This spot will be closely watched as we wait to see if Jakob Phaup has rebounded from his slump. UNC fogos have been very good scoring from the dot, they have combined for 10 points so far this season, so Syracuse will also have to prepare for that, something that has burned them this year.

On defense the Heels are led by Will Bowen and Colin Kreig. I am also impressed by their LSM Matt Wright who can really fly and seems good on groundballs. Their short sticks are also athletic, and Conor Maher actually leads the team in groundballs with 44. That said, they did just give up 18 goals to UVA. They can be beat, but this isn't a game for singular dodging - Krieg will absolutely eat up shots like that. Syracuse has to move the ball and find the open man. Quint slammed UNC for their off-ball defense this past week. To me, this is a game for Stephen Rhefuss and Brendan Curry in particular. The coaching staff has been bent on exploiting short stick matchups, but I really think they need to start trusting their best players, regardless of matchup. If Jamie Trimboli and Tucker Dordevic are simply dodging and shooting, Syracuse will not win this game, regardless if they are short sticked. Speaking of which, I do think UNC could double pole the midfield, as they did with Duke. Syracuse will have to adjust, and if it is Chase Scanlan getting the shorty, he has shown to be much more comfortable dodging than he was at the start of the year.

Anyways, big game for the Orange as they can really solidify a playoff spot and hopefully get some momentum. It'll be a big test, as UNC seems to have advantages all over the field. But, thats why they play the game and if Syracuse plays up to their capabilities, they can definitely win this game. Go Orange.

The Orange stair down a pivotal three game stretch against ACC teams to close out the season (open date outstanding). They start with a game against slumping North Carolina, who have suffered back to back defeats to Duke and Virginia. Syracuse has a chance to make a statement and send a conference foe reeling. If they lose, they themselves will be doing some soul searching.

The UNC offense is incredibly formidable, led by potential Tewaaraton Award winner Chris Gray and his 60 points. He is surrounded by a very athletic midfield and sharpshooting attackmen. Gray will most likely be covered by Mitch Wykoff, who has struggled against the shifty attackmen in Michael Sowers and Pat Kavanaugh. This will be a big test. I do think if they can frustrate the BU transfer, they could really stagnate the offense, as he has incredibly high usage rate (he has taken a ridiculous 95 shots, the next closest? Tanner Cook at 56!). Maybe a shut-off strategy is in the cards?

The offense moves through Gray, but the other big question for the defense will be who to pole from the first line midfield? William Perry can shoot the lights out, Cook is a matchup nightmare with his size and Justin Anderson is a really good athlete. Its a tough call. Syracuse doesn't usually double pole, but they might have to think about it, especially since that third attack spot filled by Brian Cameron and Jacob Kelly isn't filled by a strong dodger. I am always really impressed by Perry when I watch the Heels play, and I think Cook needs a pole, unless the coaches think Peter Dearth could handle that matchup (Dearth did well on Casey from Albany who has similar size). UNC also runs a second midfield pretty consistently, Alex Trippi leads the group with eight and seven. The other members of the unit have been pretty quiet this season, but they did have a big game against UVA with Conor McCarthy scoring a hat trick and Henry Schertzinger scoring two goals. The short sticks of SU will be tested and have to play better this game.

We have been a bit obsessed with the face-off position these past few weeks, but the defense also has to play much much better - Notre Dame beat Duke pretty handily this past weekend and they only won 7 of 23 face-offs. I know the defense will not reach Notre Dame heights this year, but I think too much blame has been placed on the face-off (I have been guilty of this). The defense needs to stop ball watching, slide better and communicate. They have a very good keeper in Porter but he needs help, and he'll need it big time this weekend.

Speaking of the face-offs, UNC comes in with two options in Andrew Tyeryar and Zac Tucci. They are both over 50% on the year but have struggled against Duke and UVA. This spot will be closely watched as we wait to see if Jakob Phaup has rebounded from his slump. UNC fogos have been very good scoring from the dot, they have combined for 10 points so far this season, so Syracuse will also have to prepare for that, something that has burned them this year.

On defense the Heels are led by Will Bowen and Colin Kreig. I am also impressed by their LSM Matt Wright who can really fly and seems good on groundballs. Their short sticks are also athletic, and Conor Maher actually leads the team in groundballs with 44. That said, they did just give up 18 goals to UVA. They can be beat, but this isn't a game for singular dodging - Krieg will absolutely eat up shots like that. Syracuse has to move the ball and find the open man. Quint slammed UNC for their off-ball defense this past week. To me, this is a game for Stephen Rhefuss and Brendan Curry in particular. The coaching staff has been bent on exploiting short stick matchups, but I really think they need to start trusting their best players, regardless of matchup. If Jamie Trimboli and Tucker Dordevic are simply dodging and shooting, Syracuse will not win this game, regardless if they are short sticked. Speaking of which, I do think UNC could double pole the midfield, as they did with Duke. Syracuse will have to adjust, and if it is Chase Scanlan getting the shorty, he has shown to be much more comfortable dodging than he was at the start of the year.

Anyways, big game for the Orange as they can really solidify a playoff spot and hopefully get some momentum. It'll be a big test, as UNC seems to have advantages all over the field. But, thats why they play the game and if Syracuse plays up to their capabilities, they can definitely win this game. Go Orange.

To your point on Cook, after watching UNC's last 2 games I think I would have Dearth cover him.
Good points about the offense. Been hoping for a Trimboli breakout the past 3 games so maybe it happens this week?

Tremendous summary. I would just add that sheer physical energy and being relentless on ground balls goes a long way in deciding these games. UNC outhustled UVA in their earlier meeting and the constant pressure forced UVA's offense to get rattled and take poor shots. We need the energy we brought to our game against UVA with our backs against the wall.

This is the game that the coaches should give the 1st midfield line lots of playing time in the first half in order to get them going and in rhythm. We need Trimboli firing on all cylinders as per last season.

We have a good shot to win this one since the UNC fogo duo is a good deal less effective than ND or Duke, and the D is far from the most efficient. However if we are going to win faceoffs we will need to protect the ball after the draw, which means more Savage than Phaup, with Varello playing only if there are serious clamp issues. Along with a slump in the clamp, Phaup has looked really slow this year. I am guessing it is a nagging injury as he always looked a good deal faster than Varello in 2019 and 2020. Now he looks like Varello running with the ball.

#20 on UNC, LSM Matt Wright, is a complete and total monster. Probably the biggest snub from the mid season all americans. He will be all over our FOGOs and I only really trust Savage at this point to protect the ball. He has the speed strength and athleticism to be an effective FOGO under these new rules. He went 2-5, but it was more bad luck/bad bounces that led to the losses. He may not be a boatload better with the clamp, but he is enough of a hound on the ensuing groundball that he makes up for it.

Phaup once again picked up a second faceoff violation with way too much time left in the 1st half (11 mins) and promptly got beat bad on the clamp for the next faceoff. That's when we tried Varello for the first time. UAlbanys lack of athleticism in the midfield hid that we would have lost more faceoffs against a better set of wings. The third guy in the 3 v 3 groundball battle has to be athletic against UNC and Savage is currently the only serious athlete.

Their fogos have seven goals

Lil Nicky is better than Nate

They could have the best frosh award winner

They could have the Tewaarton award winner

They have the better Cook

Their Maher plays better than John

They put out two lines of five star mids

Lions, Tigers and Bears, oh my

Fast, high scoring game, Cuse has some talent of their own

The talent of UNC O came together when Gray arrived , different than Sowers as he can operate from most everywhere. Their team moves the ball well , Anish cited Breschi saying his team chews up slides even hedges. Cant forgo hedging but spacing matters. Solomon is well rounded att and their rotating 3rd att are capable. They have several dodgers up top . Cook and McCarthy look to use their size, Anderson his speed while Perry has complete game n cant be played off Their 2nd line is good. Their d plays aggressively which leaves openings for a team that can take advantage. UVA mids had a good day and will need ours to receive at their spots..Moore had success passing off his dodges to cage but more likely Ref creates off continuous movement of others. Cuse O has excellent efficiency thx mostly to attack but key may to give a few more touches , perhaps jumpstart by initiating more from up top for this game to further open field and seams. Cuse is a fast team that hasn't been playing fast, UNC a fast team that can play fast. Opportunities should present for both given likely pace. Transition starts down low with change of possession, for Cuse get back quickly to mf on d , get ball quickly up to midfield to push. On faceoffs, expect quicker read of matchup and change if necessary. UNC fogos break downfield on clean wins so expect poles to be positioned down line to start until results seen. Kreig has been complimented on his poise but he did have two shaky games vs High Point , those tapes may have revealed holes. .Their o is going to score goals, just have limit the scoring percentages ,of shots. Porter coming off good game and has seen ball well for long stretches this season. Two good teams , UNC will be rightfully favored but neither team playing as crisp as they could. Wont be surprised by any outcome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom