(Not a Bash exHCDM) But The Presser Today Was Exc. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

(Not a Bash exHCDM) But The Presser Today Was Exc.

When he wasn't a head coach and wasn't at the microphone.

I assume that there are records of what he said during his time here but you are correct, it is different when you're the head guy.

There is no upside--none--to publicly naming a starter before the penn state game. Let them waste time preparing for both QBs.

I've never really bought this theory. I mean, if it's a tight battle then just name the starter when you feel you can declare one, even if it means two minutes before the first game. But the idea that PSU is holding brain-storming sessions on how to effectively prepare for Hunt and Allen seems ridiculous.

exactly.

no film means...NEWBIE!!!

shark week is going to have a 1 day encore on 8/31.

make em throw with guys in their grill all day and take your chances.

this is still a very very good ped st nambla lion team. the lack of depth wont hurt them till a couple of years down the road, and most likely never on opening weekend.

still think allen can beat them.

Oh Lord

There should be a nambla reference in every ped st related post.

More than the starting QB, PSU has almost no clue what sort of offense McDonald will run.

Yeah, this is the point. I think most teams prepare for systems unless they need special considerations for particularly dangerous individuals on the opponents' side (like if you see Sandusky roaming around outside the stadium for example).

I would think the tougher part of the preparation is having zero clue what GMC will do. However, what PEd st has going for them is that, unfortunately, new coaches/coordinators typically endure some learning on the job. I would imagine the same will be true for McDonald.

unless they need special considerations for particularly dangerous individuals on the opponents' side (like if you see Sandusky roaming around outside the stadium for example).

Hey oh!

I've never really bought this theory. I mean, if it's a tight battle then just name the starter when you feel you can declare one, even if it means two minutes before the first game. But the idea that PSU is holding brain-storming sessions on how to effectively prepare for Hunt and Allen seems ridiculous.

What's ridiculous about it? QB is an unknown quantity for us heading into this year. Two different QBs with two different styles / capabilities. They undoubtedly have game film of Allen from his game appearances at Oklahoma, and game film of Hunt from our spring game. The longer they're kept in the dark about which to focus on, the better.

I don't know how you extrapolated my post into meaning "holding brain storming sessions on how to effectively prepare." I'm not suggesting that they'll be baffled how to play us or not know what they are doing, but the more they are kept off balance from a preparation standpoint, the better. There's no downside to that.

Joe Stanard is a walk-on from Baldwinsville. Doesn't even show on the roster yet.
Yeah he is one of 4 or 5 walkons that are on the team but won't show on the roster until school starts. He and at least 1 other was enrolled in July for the SummerStart program. A couple other local kids as well on the walk on list.

Yeah he is one of 4 or 5 walkons that are on the team but won't show on the roster until school starts. He and at least 1 other was enrolled in July for the SummerStart program. A couple other local kids as well on the walk on list.

I'm assuming that Carson Hicks was the other one.

I'm assuming that Carson Hicks was the other one.
I do not know Carson but that doesn't mean he isn't there. The other walkon that I know was at Summer Start is a kid from NJ. Alex Schoen. Small but fast.

I do not know Carson but that doesn't mean he isn't there. The other walkon that I know was at Summer Start is a kid from NJ. Alex Schoen. Small but fast.

Joe Stanard - a better one with some notes

Carson ended up (at least in June 2013) signing with Miami of Ohio unless something changed after his signing that LOI.

Geezer like myself had to look up NAMBLA--now I get it.:eek:

I hope the NSA didn't see your Google search!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

What's ridiculous about it? QB is an unknown quantity for us heading into this year. Two different QBs with two different styles / capabilities. They undoubtedly have game film of Allen from his game appearances at Oklahoma, and game film of Hunt from our spring game. The longer they're kept in the dark about which to focus on, the better.

I don't know how you extrapolated my post into meaning "holding brain storming sessions on how to effectively prepare." I'm not suggesting that they'll be baffled how to play us or not know what they are doing, but the more they are kept off balance from a preparation standpoint, the better. There's no downside to that.
Although I generally agree that there's no need to make an announcement, there are potential downsides:
- if the lingering "competition" (in public, even if the team knows what's what) becomes a distraction to the coach or players;
- fans taking sides and arguments turn ugly and get to the team;
- the "winner/leader" in the court of public opinion isn't who the coaches have picked (this is nice for the deception aspect, but creates an instant QB controversy if the starter stumbles out of the gate even a little);
- if ego issues are involved - these are college kids and some may need the boost generated by being proclaimed as the starter.

That said, if the candidates are so different that the opening opponent will have to spend time preparing for an offensive style that we are less likely to run, keep up the ruse as long as possible.

I didn't mean to insinuate anything -- I was just saying I don't think there are many players who are the focus of game-planning. I mean, maybe a Vick or a Clowney or players like that, but I would think as a general rule the system and playing to your team's strengths are by far the bigger factors.

Well to me, it depends. And you may have mentioned this in the thread, I just didn't catch it. Are we just talking about keeping the news from PSU? Or are we talking about an open competition that even SU doesn't know the starter until right before the game. I think it benefits us internally to name that starter so everyone is on the same page for game week. Maybe they'll want to keep that on the down low externally, but in today's world, is that even possible? All it takes is one tweet to be out there for one second.

I think you make the decision on naming a QB based on your own timetable, not to try and force the opponent's timetable. There are times when naming your QB a week ahead of the first game is important -- perhaps for the confidence of the starter, or perhaps to get the team focused on the rhythm of the starter. There could be a dozen or more reasons. Other times, you might want to wait until the last minute, because you want both guys ready at the opening whistle. You want both guys to feel like the starter, you want both guys to prepare the same. I think we as fans create too many of these situations, theorizing that coaches are waiting in order to keep the opponent guessing. The first order is to manage the psyche of your own team, know what motivates each individual player, know you your players react to different situations such as being a starter, or being a back-up. IMHO, most times that is what coaches are trying to do, not out-think the opponent.

OMG now that web browser search is stored in the NSA database forever abort mission!

:eek:

Not to mention all of those special banner ads he will be seeing.

HCSS just is so open and honest...he actually said one kid tweaked an ankle today (Joe Stennard?).

His interviews are so much better than Doug's. Sounds like we might not know the QB starter until 3:28pm on opening day. Smart to do that..keep PSU guessing.

Doug has the mentality of a pro coach all the way.

Hard-Nosed is a college guy.

I just hope we win.