Not a criticism, but something that confuses me re: Marrone | Syracusefan.com

Not a criticism, but something that confuses me re: Marrone

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
So I just read this article:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...h-marshall/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_t13_a0

And it got me wondering why we haven't been able to get Morris on the field.

I know, I know. Poeple will say UGA got the #1 runningback and the other kid's awesome too, so it'as no surprise they're succeeding as freshmen. Fair enough.

We came out of fall ball though without much separation between the backs. Despite that, we've only seen Smith, Gulley, and Broyld to a limited extent. No AAM, Morris or MacFarlane.

It seems like for a lot of programs runningback is a spot where freshmen can compete as soon as they're on campus. That hasn't been the case with us. It's not that there are overwhelmingly talented players in front of our younger guys. I don't think it's a talent thing for the young guys - AAM, Morris and MacFarlane were all highly rated players. Do we require something different that's hard for a first year player to grasp? Is the playbook far more complex than it is at other programs?

It's a head scratcher for me.

I think there's an inherent risk to playing a true freshman running back. Broyld is physically prepared to play college football. The other two may not, increasing the risk of injury.

It is ball security, PTG referred to coach Wheatley telling him he had to be strong enough to secure the ball. We are getting ripped enough with the players we play.

I think there's an inherent risk to playing a true freshman running back. Broyld is physically prepared to play college football. The other two may not, increasing the risk of injury.

So how come they played Ameen-Moore last year as a true freshman when he was still carrying around 20-30 pounds of excess baby fat?

I imagine the reason we have not seen Morris or McFarlane is simply because we have multiple backs the staff deems more than capable, so they don't want to burn their shirts if they do not need to. Makes sense to me, honestly. There are only so many carries to go around and Smith, PTG and Broyld are already getting a ton of them.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...h-marshall/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_t13_a0

I know, I know. Poeple will say UGA got the #1 runningback and the other kid's awesome too, so it'as no surprise they're succeeding as freshmen. Fair enough.

We came out of fall ball though without much separation between the backs. Despite that, we've only seen Smith, Gulley, and Broyld to a limited extent. No AAM, Morris or MacFarlane.

It seems like for a lot of programs runningback is a spot where freshmen can compete as soon as they're on campus. That hasn't been the case with us. It's not that there are overwhelmingly talented players in front of our younger guys. I don't think it's a talent thing for the young guys - AAM, Morris and MacFarlane were all highly rated players. Do we require something different that's hard for a first year player to grasp? Is the playbook far more complex than it is at other programs?

I think this goes to the article in the PS by Rahme about Morris. Wheatley had said he is a 195lb skinny kid. I think they are looking at this year as a chance for him to bulk up into the 210 range. My impression is that they want some added strength before cutting him loose. It really helps in the long run since you will have another year on the back end. I was a little surprised by the article since he had previously been described as a speed back but my impression is that they were looking at him as the potential to be an all purpose power back like Wheat or Eddie George.

I don't think it's as common as you make it seem but Syracuse has also had frosh backs play here before. RB is a position a kid can step right in.

I don't think either frosh back is so more talented that they should be seeing the field over Smith/Gulley. On the other hand Marrone has always gone with a veteran over rookie.

That said, the Georgia kids are special talents. Morris/McFarlene are nowhere near their talent level (at least for now.) Look at the picture of this kid:

gurley-p1.jpg

I think this goes to the article in the PS by Rahme about Morris. Wheatley had said he is a 195lb skinny kid. I think they are looking at this year as a chance for him to bulk up into the 210 range. My impression is that they want some added strength before cutting him loose. It really helps in the long run since you will have another year on the back end. I was a little surprised by the article since he had previously been described as a speed back but my impression is that they were looking at him as the potential to be an all purpose power back like Wheat or Eddie George.
At the risk of making a statement people don't like...

If additional size and strength makes Morris a better player, I get it. I worry a little bit that our staff is preoccupied with having big running backs for the sake of having big running backs though.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Morris just isn't cut from the same cloth as Wheatley or George.

I don't think it's as common as you make it seem but we've had frosh backs play here before.
Speaking exclusively of Marrone, we haven't really.

And we can agree to disagree on how common it is. I think Syracuse fans collectively underestimate how common high performing freshman running backs are.

Marrone hasn't been here that long for you to say there's something about his offense that makes it hard for freshman to play

We had bailey and or carter who are just better than smith and gulley

so it's pretty much just this year

Marrone hasn't been here that long for you to say there's something about his offense that makes it hard for freshman to play
It takes more than 4 years to establish that?

Admit it, you were really tempted to connect this to Nassib's limitations somehow.

It takes more than 4 years to establish that?

Admit it, you were really tempted to connect this to Nassib's limitations somehow.
yes it does take more than 4 years to establish that when you have NFL backs for 3 of those years.

silly. they didn't take away carries from NFL players to give more carries to guys who aren't even that good as upperclassmen years later!

yes it does take more than 4 years to establish that when you have NFL backs for 3 of those years.

silly. they didn't take away carries from NFL players to give more carries to guys who aren't even that good as upperclassmen years later!
I would buy that, if not for how weird it seemed that Carter got so many carries those two seasons while a very capable Bailey was on the bench.

I would buy that, if not for how weird it seemed that Carter got so many carries those two seasons while a very capable Bailey was on the bench.
bailey getting 6 carries a game as a sophomore and being involved as a receiver too indicates to you that marrone's playbook is too complex?

i wanted him to get more carries too. sometimes the guys who get the carries get them because the coach just wants them to get the carries.

we don't need a 6 man rotation at running back especially when you want your pedestrian qb to throw 75 times a game

I always thought main reason MOST young running backs don't play was blocking.

Coaches (college and pro alike) don't like to play young RBs until they are certain the backs can block for the QB when need be.

Whether it be learning the schemes or simply bulking up to take on 250lb linebackers, I've heard coaches say it's not worth the risk of putting young guys in if they can't block - unless you want a flattened QB.

So how come they played Ameen-Moore last year as a true freshman when he was still carrying around 20-30 pounds of excess baby fat?

I just love that we waited until late in the year to do it...

I also love that we wasted a complete spring of Devonte playing out of position

At the risk of making a statement people don't like...

If additional size and strength makes Morris a better player, I get it. I worry a little bit that our staff is preoccupied with having big running backs for the sake of having big running backs though.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Morris just isn't cut from the same cloth as Wheatley or George.

I'm not sure I see it that way (not saying they will be Wheatley or George, of course). But I think, as a general rule, most of the frosh the Cuse brings in are better off redshirting. Obviously you can't say that about everyone, but I generally think it's good that these guys aren't playing in Year 1.

As an aside, one of my favorite coach-speak type things is the whole "freshmen RBs can't block." As if that is really a reason to keep a super-talented runner off the field. Then, miraculously, they can all block a year later. Then they move on to the pros but, as we all know, no rookie RBs can block. But then in year 2 they can. I don't know why that annoys me so much, but it does.

I also love that we wasted a complete spring of Devonte playing out of position

Dude Devante enrolled in August. He played safety for about two weeks, if even that.

Speaking exclusively of Marrone, we haven't really.

And we can agree to disagree on how common it is. I think Syracuse fans collectively underestimate how common high performing freshman running backs are.

Ummmm...we have a freshman playing RB right now

Ummmm...we have a freshman playing RB right now
Yes, but Broyld is 20 years old, with a PG year and a Spring practice under his belt so not a typical frosh
But several of our RBs did play as frosh -- Carter, Hogue, Bailey. Bailey was pressed into a starting role in November, and put up 100 plus yards when we beat ND. It can happen when you recruit A list RBs.

Don't be surprised if the staff goes with Morris playing vs. Pitt.
A full RS year is ideal, but wins need to be acquired at this stage.

If he doesn't play vs. Pitt then he should sit for the year.
Last year's AAM treatment was far from ideal.

I didn't realize we had an issue at running back? We have had a bit of an issue run blocking, do people really believe that Morris would come in and be a difference maker? As is we would be 3-1 is Marrone was playing.. I could see Broyld getting a few more carries but I am not sold on Broyld at this hybrid position, he needs to find a true position. This offense is Nassib, Sales, Lemon... and the running backs are complementary... I would like to see Broyld have more of an impact but he tends to dance a lot out there.

I think Smith and Gulley have been fine

I didn't realize we had an issue at running back? We have had a bit of an issue run blocking, do people really believe that Morris would come in and be a difference maker? As is we would be 3-1 is Marrone was playing.. I could see Broyld getting a few more carries but I am not sold on Broyld at this hybrid position, he needs to find a true position. This offense is Nassib, Sales, Lemon... and the running backs are complementary... I would like to see Broyld have more of an impact but he tends to dance a lot out there.

I think Smith and Gulley have been fine
Run blocking is a larger part of the problem, but the idea of playing Marrone at RB -- hmmm. Depends on who takes over as Head Coach.
You lowered the bar by saying RBs are merely "complementary" to the real offense and "fine" as is. That passing attack won't stay good unless we get more from the RBs and TEs. Not saying that Morris is any part of the solution; we have to expect that the committee of Smith, Gulley & Broyld can get better week to week.